Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris v Hunt debate

(138 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:07:56

What did you think?

I thought it held together well.
And that Boris just edged it. But that could be because he’s popular.

Or that hearing yet again that Hunt is an entrepreneur is cringe worthy!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:02:04

Maybe just maybe, he won’t be able to obtain the confidence of the house?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:55:30

I can’t believe that there is a single person who honestly believes that Johnson is fit to lead the country.

What is our politics coming to, when we can even contemplate him as Prime Minister.

But the 23rd is coming and he will be Prime Minister, and I shall know for sure that the country has completely gone down the tube.

Labaik Wed 17-Jul-19 22:47:56

Is that the event when he was waving a kipper around...

Urmstongran Wed 17-Jul-19 22:43:17

Apparently at the final hustings tonight it seemed quite embarrassing as Boris was first up & when he’d finished, many of the audience we’re leaving before bothering g to listen to Hunt.

Popular opinion is that Boris has won this contest by a country mile.

Anniebach Wed 17-Jul-19 21:59:51

Thinking of it, Corbyn isn’t liked by his back benchers but can stir up a crowd, just like Johnson

Anniebach Wed 17-Jul-19 21:56:10

Thinking of PMQ, Corbyn v Johnson ? nightmare

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:45:18

Whitewave, he isn't popular with me either but even I can see he has the ability to make people laugh and is genius at playing an audience. Still, the HoC isn't an audience is it so let's hope your'e right and the HoC will sort him out.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:11:23

I’m hoping that the HoC will sort Johnson out. He isn’t popular with his own party, only the rather odd membership.

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:04:58

Edit button - imagine that, me seeing Jeremy Hunt as least worst. that's what we've reached! He was a disaster in Health yet here I am, thinking he's not as bad as Boris Johnson.

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:03:54

I've drifted, I'm now watching Jeremy Hunt in the same format. He can't beat Boris Johnson I fear.

Anniebach Wed 17-Jul-19 20:43:09

Same for me Iam

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:41:30

I put Sky news on half an hour ago and found myself watching a question and answer session between Boris Johnson and a London audience.
It's no secret the I never have and never will vote Conservative. I see Boris Johnson as manipulative narcissistic chap, can be very charming and very entertaining which is how he's coming over right now. The audience is on its feet, cheering as he leaves the stage.

He'll be our next PM - oh dear!

Labaik Wed 17-Jul-19 12:22:00

'Labour and the Liberal Democrats have attacked the Conservatives for allowing youngsters as young as 15 to take part in the leadership race – while refusing to lower the voting age for the public to 16.

Cat Smith, Labour's voter engagement spokeswoman, told the Politics Home website: “It is hypocrisy for the Tory government to claim 16- and 17-year-olds aren’t mature enough to vote in elections, but not apply this rule to its own leadership contest.'

“If young Tories can be trusted to choose our next prime minister, then there is no logical reason why all 16- and 17-year-olds can’t have their say in the future of their country in a general election.

varian Tue 16-Jul-19 19:59:34

Neither Johnson nor Hunt nor Corbyn is fir to be our PM.

We should not be dictated to by extremists of the right or of the left who would impose their will without a majority madate and against the best interests of the people.

We need to redesign our politics, our electoral system and our parliament building.

Our only hope for a better future is to stop this brexit nonsense and ask our politicians to work together for the good of the country.

Luckygirl Tue 16-Jul-19 09:49:19

How sad it is that two of our "top" politicians set about wrecking the morale of two of our most vital services: health and education. It makes me want to weep.

As to Johnson - the idea of him being prime minister is another cause for weeping.

varian Mon 15-Jul-19 19:47:56

Hunt is as unpopular with medics as Gove is with teachers.

That does not mean that BJ should be inflicted on us.

I could never have imagined in a long lifetime of following poiltics that the UK could have ever got into such a dreadful mess.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 15-Jul-19 19:33:35

Didn't watch it.. Can't stand either, Boris has never finished any job he started and just busters when asked questions and gives no real answer. Hunt, well what can I say, just look at what he did for the NHS so think what he can do for the country. God help us.

varian Mon 15-Jul-19 19:25:02

Any attempt by the next prime minister to suspend Parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit is likely to end up in the Supreme Court, a Tory MP has said.

Sir Oliver Letwin told the BBC it was not clear whether MPs had the numbers to stop a no-deal Brexit themselves.

But if the government tried to get its way by by-passing Parliament, he said it would become a "legal question".

Campaigners say they will challenge any "prorogation" of Parliament to allow Brexit on 31 October without a deal.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48988419

Dinahmo Sat 13-Jul-19 20:03:04

Gonegirl I was thinking about the future, should there be another referendum or a GE.

Jane43 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:00:57

I loved when AN asked Boris about paragraph 5C. Boris blustered in his usual manner saying several times that he would concentrate on paragraph 5B, then AN dealt his killer blow saying, ‘You don’t know what paragraph 5C is do you?’ Boris had to admit he didn’t. Priceless. Also when discussing the Nazanin situation with Iran which was made worse by Boris’s lack of research into the case AN rightly expressed concern that Boris’s lack of research might cause an international incident should he become PM.

Andrew Neil is the best political interviewer by a far, it is a shame his BBC programme has been relegated to a Podcast which few people will watch.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Jul-19 17:00:22

I believe that over half the party members are still to vote so BJ's idiocy could be his undoing yet.

And then we'll be stuck with the weaker one.

Toss a coin?

Gonegirl Sat 13-Jul-19 16:56:13

Sorry dinahmo. Can't see that all. Nothing we can do about which ones get in and once the chosen one is in at will be too late. I think it's wrong that less than half the population gets a say on the future pm. But nothing to be done.

paddyann Sat 13-Jul-19 15:20:15

He WONT be negotiating any deal with the EU ..they already said the deal has been done and they wont go back to it .Boris is a liability whatever he does ,his mouth runs away with him without what brain he might have being put in gear.Hunt ...well remember the Junior Doctors mess he caused ? Great candidates NOT

Dinahmo Sat 13-Jul-19 13:19:21

Gonegirl It's important for the rest of us to see exactly what both politicians are like. Even if the Tory party members had already voted before yesterday evening the rest of us need to see them in action for future reference.
As is usual BJ talked over AN who did a good job. Towardds the end I thought AN was either fed up or running out of steam and thought to himself that he'd just let BJ go ahead and hang himself. Which, IMO, he did.

Greta Sat 13-Jul-19 13:15:45

I can't believe how anybody can take Boris Johnson seriously. And this is the man who, if predictions come true, is going to represent our nation and negotiate a new deal with the EU. He behaved appallingly in the Andrew Neil debate. But this is BJ's modus operandi, i.e. bluff, lie, avoid answering questions, and if that doesn't work just use some bullying tactics. It will not go down well with the other 27 nations. They do have a say but sometimes I think we are forgetting that. I noticed that at one stage in the interview BJ said we would make a success of Brexit because ”we are British”. So that is all it takes then.