Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris v Hunt debate

(138 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:07:56

What did you think?

I thought it held together well.
And that Boris just edged it. But that could be because he’s popular.

Or that hearing yet again that Hunt is an entrepreneur is cringe worthy!

Labaik Wed 10-Jul-19 13:16:29

Well said, Lucky !

Luckygirl Wed 10-Jul-19 12:10:57

I am sure it is an excellent school - for the privileged. BJ might have gone on a scholarship, but that no doubt related to his academic prowess rather than the poverty of his family, who are very far from the breadline.

The excellence of the school is not in doubt at all - the fact that it isolates a whole privileged group of young men from the cut and thrust of the realities of the cruelties of this world for those at the bottom of the pile is highly relevant when it comes to government. This, and many previous governments, have exhibited a complete absence of care or concern for those who are poor, sick and disadvantaged; and I am in no doubt that this is [partly to do with the fact that they were educated in sheltered environments that left huge gaps in their knowledge and understanding.

I do not know whether my view might be considered "inverted snobbery" or not - and I think it is not relevant to the facts.

Minniemoo Wed 10-Jul-19 12:06:40

Most politicians won't give direct answers to direct questions because they don't want them to come back to haunt them! I'm sure Theresa May wished she hadn't said 'No Deal is better than a Bad Deal.' 'We are leaving the EU on March 29th' etc etc. I prefer Boris for many reasons. I don't think he's quite as much a fool as people like to think. I also find Hunt extremely pompous and rather dull. I think he's Theresa in a suit.

maddyone Wed 10-Jul-19 10:38:39

Luckygirl ‘they were at Eton together - says it all really.’

Well no, it doesn’t actually. I’m sick to death of hearing comments like that about Eton. It’s nothing more than inverted snobbery. You obviously don’t know anything at all about Eton, which is an excellent school, attended by many students, and which gives scholarships to many students from poorer backgrounds. I understand BJ actually went on a scholarship, but that’s irrelevant, because I’m not defending BJ, I’m defending an excellent school, and no, before you ask, I don’t know anyone who went there. Why don’t you just say you don’t like BJ rather than an excellent school. It reminds of similar comments often made about Oxbridge. Inverted snobbery at its best.

Labaik Wed 10-Jul-19 10:30:57

Did anyone question Hunt about lowering the abortion age limit? Or is that something else that politicians can say and then assume it will be conveniently forgotten? The only thing that seems to have been honoured, manifestowise in recent years seems to have been the referendum...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jul-19 10:19:08

Twitter

In story-laden inteview, Sir John Major accuses Johnson of being prepared to throw Sir Kim Darroch to the wolves, and reminds BJ loyalty from the civil service is a two way street. Britain not foreign powers chooses its ambassadors., he adds..

Luckygirl Wed 10-Jul-19 10:03:04

How might anyone vote for him indeed!

The incumbent MP here has always seemed a decent bloke - apart from his politics. I know him through musical activities and he is a good constituency MP and champion of many good causes.

But he plans to vote for Boris - I am appalled. They were at Eton together - says it all really.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 09:44:06

Even the girlfriend is three sheets to the wind. God certainly did make them and match them.

jura2 Wed 10-Jul-19 09:39:14

Johnson waffled, and bumbled and didn't answer anything - verbally incontinent and incompetent- and he 'edged it' - how, where? How could anyone of sound mind want to vote for him, is beyond me.

Gonegirl Wed 10-Jul-19 09:31:02

I've only seen clips of it.

You know that song - "Is this all there is my friend?".......

Luckygirl Wed 10-Jul-19 09:20:41

I did not watch it - my life was complete without it!

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 08:24:37

One poster remarked that BJ didn't answer the questions put to him.
It's because he didn't know the damned answers !!

Lord help us, that's all I can say.

He puts me in mind of the old-time comedian, Will Hay in the 1937 film " Good Morning Boys " where the pupils ran the school/class because the teacher knew nothing.

Sara65 Wed 10-Jul-19 08:02:23

Ellanvannin

I agree, they just seemed to want to drag the hour out, without actually saying anything, it was pointless, and painful viewing

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 08:02:03

Boris the bluffer. He hasn't got a clue.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 07:59:48

Where was the substance in this debate ? It was non-existent.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:59:17

Anybody have a clue what the next prime ministers policies are?

No?

Neither does anyone else. Who was it said

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

LullyDully Wed 10-Jul-19 07:50:45

We watched five minutes then turned on something more interesting.

Sara65 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:35:31

I agree that Boris seemed to treat the whole thing as a joke, he was playing for laughs, which given the seriousness of the situation, was pretty distasteful

But I couldn’t warm to Jeremy Hunt either, although, I think he may be the lesser of two evils

GracesGranMK3 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:30:16

Listening to Today interviewing those with a vote there were several saying they were choosing the best of a bad lot whoever they backed.

I see we may be going into recession again too. Watching last night all I can say is 'heaven help us'.

Madgran77 Wed 10-Jul-19 07:17:57

Norris didnt answer the questions and sadly was allowed to bypass the one about his major major mess up over the woman imprisoned in Iran ...he waffled and did not address his blatant error! Really annoyed me. Agree presenter generally did valiantly. Boris was his usual soundbites waffle and "humour". Humt was politer and trying to get a word in here and there but not that great overall ! Oh dear!!!

Peonyrose Wed 10-Jul-19 07:03:36

Boris the Bumbler, doesn't give a straight answer,because he hadn't one, talks over people, doesn't listen, boorish and loves himself. He and Trump perfectly matched.
Hunt, well he's like a cold sausage. . Tries to promote himself as a man of the people, which he isn't, any more than Boris is. He knows how to behave and dies give a straight answer and have opinions and wouldn't constantly be putting his foot in it and causing chaos.
It would be funny if it wasn't so serious, neither one suitable in my opinion.
Fear we will have Boris the Bumbler, which will inevitable mean a General Election which will let the other dysfunctional lot in.

Labaik Tue 09-Jul-19 23:46:57

Didn't realise that all we need from the Prime Minister of this country is a 'can do' attitude. Blow me; if I'd known I would have applied for the job myself....

trueblue22 Tue 09-Jul-19 23:38:37

I thought BJ sounded positive and has a 'can do attitude, which we really need at the moment.

JH was too critical of BJ, which doesn't reflect well on him. Bleating on that he was an entrepreneur all the time has a diminishing effect.

I'm voting for BJ, now that I've seen them head to head.

Luckylegs Tue 09-Jul-19 23:26:40

Boris wouldn’t answer a question, waffled constantly over Hunt and Julie, would not shut up to allow his opponent to speak, refused to answer why he hadn’t done his homework on Nazanin, refused to back the Ambassador, refused to criticise Trump for his remarks about Teresa May, etc etc. Appalling boorish behaviour! And the audience clapped his every utterance! We are going to get what we deserve!

Dinahmo Tue 09-Jul-19 23:21:12

I'm hoping that BJ wins, he'll crash and burn and we'll have a general election. At times he was incoherent and talked over
JH.