Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and Brexit

(1000 Posts)
quizqueen Fri 26-Jul-19 11:39:57

Whatever happens on the EU's eastern borders can happen with the Irish border. You never hear of any disputes about those; no talk of medicines not getting through or traffic jams of trucks, no Albania backstop etc. If the EU insist on borders then let them build a wall.

The EU also welcomed French Dependencies in Africa and elsewhere into the EU and you can be sure there will be no following of EU regulations on those borders. The Irish backstop is just a sham drawn up to prevent us from leaving because they want us to continue paying into their club so their staff can keep their high salaries and pensions.

We can import/export everything we need through Belfast or UK mainland ports, so no need to deal with goods coming in through Dublin at all. As the UK already has the regulatory alignment with the EU, there is no reason why Irish produced goods can't go through the border unchecked, as happens presently.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:20:34

I have no intentions of being "forum monitor"...........just disappointed when a thread turns into personal insults, which may and has in the past deterred people from posting.

MaizieD Fri 26-Jul-19 11:18:38

What I've found so odd about the rapturous reception on here of Johnson's back of a fag packet ideas is, that, had they been proposed by Labour everyone would be screaming with horror and forecasting the downfall of the nation.

MaizieD Fri 26-Jul-19 11:15:00

I don't feel very polite this morning, GG13.

But you are not the forum monitor either.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:11:53

Hmm?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:10:53

MaizieD not a very polite response to Sandiiee.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:09:52

WWM2 Boris Johnson stated that no one should have to sell their family home to fund their care.

MaizieD Fri 26-Jul-19 11:02:26

Never mind, Sandiiee, just leave it to the clever people to sort out.

Sandiiee Fri 26-Jul-19 10:58:11

I still do not understand why, as we are the ones leaving, we have to provide the backstop. Surely if in the eyes of the EU one is definitely needed then Ireland should provide it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 10:56:22

I don’t remember anything in Johnson’s statement about social care. Did I miss it?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jul-19 10:51:55

I fear a general election before Brexit is sorted.

It could open the door to the Brexit Party in predominantly leave areas.

There appears to be no appetite for a GE amongst the general public that I have personally noticed/aware of.

Labour Party is in disarray, Liberal Democrats are on a "remain ticket" and want a second referendum which if it results in another leave vote they will not recognise.

Let's hope the parties take the next six weeks to get their houses in order, and the Conservatives come back in September and quickly implement their pledges re. Police, NHS and elderly care (all of which are vote winners)

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 10:45:42

The question is whether it will be

No deal then a GE

Or GE then who knows?

I reckon he’ll go for the latter. I don’t think he wants a no deal, I’m unconvinced that he would go for Brexit if he thought his hold on power would go. So nothing is cut and dried.

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 10:37:09

Things move fast in politics Grandad !
Changing and adapting means surviving. I wouldn't advocate a GE at this moment, but either soon after October ( if we leave the EU) then if the Conservatives win, Johnson and his Cabinet have a clear mandate for all the policies they want to enact.
If Parliament is still tied up in knots and Brexit cannot be achieved by 31st October, then a GE arranged, it would no doubt then be a Conservative government to Leave, and the LP running on a Remain, or second referendum ticket.
But yes, it would be the only way to an increased majority.

Grandad1943 Fri 26-Jul-19 10:21:23

So, it would seem to be that many on this forum now support a General Election as the ultimate and perhaps only way to solve this Brexit crisis.

Does the above mean that those forum members also accept that the grassroots Labour movement activists who placed the "General Election First" at the forefront of the Labour Party Brexit policy at last Septembers Delegate Conference were correct?

In the above, I seem to recall that the same forum members have been full of derisory comments over the last year in regard to that policy, along with many Labour and other Party MPs in the House of Commons.

Indeed, I also seem to recall that whenever Jeremy Corbyn defended and supported that policy he was accused of "sitting on the fence."

The above is especially significant in the light of many that considered those conference delegates as "low born Labour. Pamphlet pushers" are now having to grapple with the fact that those activists are proving to have far greater perceptions than many who consider themselves to be their betters.

EllanVannin Fri 26-Jul-19 10:18:29

Well I won't be voting for him that's for sure.

He wouldn't have been as keen if the majority had been Remainers, would he ? How would he have handled that ?

MaizieD Fri 26-Jul-19 10:16:34

Barnier is a diplomat, lemon.

varian Fri 26-Jul-19 09:59:25

I seem to remember Theresa May thought it would be smart to call a GE and increase her majority.

Teetime Fri 26-Jul-19 09:44:26

Let's just get bloody well on with it!

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 08:59:04

Actually..... Barnier, after meetings with Johnson some time ago remarked that ‘he was a very clever man’.
I don’t think his cleverness (or lack of ) is why some are worried about his PM ship though.
It would be the smart thing to have a GE soon in any case to increase his majority.

Luckygirl Fri 26-Jul-19 08:57:08

Is he not listening to the message that the EU are all negotiated out?

MaizieD Fri 26-Jul-19 08:56:59

? ? ? jura and Lessismore

Lessismore Fri 26-Jul-19 08:50:58

OMG, the very clever people again. Don't forget the very clever Boris.

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 08:47:31

oh my Urmston - you are hilarious (worryingly so, but ...)

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jul-19 08:46:21

Well I’m reassured by the fact that the very first political person he was seen publicly with was that strong woman, Arlene Foster from N.I. She must have given him the green light. Boris is surrounded by very clever people in his cabinet - Geoffrey (Rumpole) Cox for one.

This will all have been well thought out and been discussed and ruminated over well in advance.

At last, a new approach and we are Leaving. Not before time, in my humble.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 08:20:33

In his statement Johnson underlined his pledge to ditch the Irish backstop, and ramp up preparations for no deal, and to leave on 31st October regardless of what happens.

Mays withdrawal agreement has been binned, however in a phone call Juncker signalled the EU27s intention of sticking with the deal already negotiated by the British Government. This includes the backstop.

Juncker told Johnson that the EU would be prepared to alter the political declaration.
Ireland has declared itself as “alarmed”
Barnier signalled that Johnson’s rhetoric almost certainly meant that the U.K. was going into a GE.

Expect a huge public information campaign and a large level of spending in preparation for no deal.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion