Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thank God for the Google Camp's Climate Change Conference

(186 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 01-Aug-19 07:53:33

Isn't it marvellous that Prince Harry has sought to share his thoughts on climate change, by giving a "barefoot speech" No me neither confused in front of a load of grandstanding c'lebs worthy and notable high profile people in Sicily. As a lesser mortal I'm so grateful that these up their own backside individuals, amazingly aware and magnanimous folk are there to give us guidance on looking after our planet. I'm just wondering about the 114 private jets parked up on a runway somewhere in though Sicily shock Oh never mind minor detail!

janipat Mon 05-Aug-19 16:14:55

notanan Thanks for that recommendation, ecosia installed smile

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 15:43:29

I'd love to have a £50 pedicure; what colour varnish did he choose? grin

Sparklefizz Mon 05-Aug-19 15:39:10

And I see online that Harry had a £50 pedicure at a spa before appearing barefoot to give his speech.

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 15:09:56

Thanks notanan - I hadn't heard of that.

Not Poldark himself - I used to like Dr Enys but I've gone off him. I just want to look after George now grin

notanan2 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:38:43

www.ecosia.org/

notanan2 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:37:42

Callistemon if you change your default search bar to ecosia rather than google et al, ecosia will actually plant trees for you so you can do whatever it is you are doing with Poldark to your hearts content wink

lilypollen Mon 05-Aug-19 13:35:26

If you are in the spotlight it is all about Personal Brand Image and of course the rich and famous think we peasants don't realise they take us for idiots!!

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 10:16:48

I do enjoy a bit of Rod Liddle's piss-taking and, of course, he does hit the nail on the head!

Feeling guilty now as I've done some 'searches' this morning - no, not about the secretive Climate Change luvvies, about the fictional Poldark.

I will go and plant a tree now.

Anniebach Mon 05-Aug-19 10:10:44

Terri sums it up perfectly

Grany Mon 05-Aug-19 09:20:59

Yes what 114 private jets brought in guests all for show what do they care just show offs And why do we need royals more waste of money and the media all over them, who cares, in newspapers magazines and books that's what keeps some people interested in them otherwise, wouldn't care.

TerriBull Mon 05-Aug-19 09:10:32

Well moving on from CB's possible immaculate conception grin Before we put this thread to bed, I was greatly amused by Rod Liddle's take on the "Google Virtue Signalling Fest"in yesterday's Sunday Times. Whilst he's not everyone's cup of tea I do like his unique brand of "piss take" on issues such as this one, and boy do we need that sometimes. Here's an extract.

"Prince Harry was there and addressed the throng barefoot, because he's a totally chilled dude. Google sent a private jet to pick him up and the last leg of the journey was done by helicopter.

In fact, an estimated 114 private jets brought in the guests. I don't have all the figures about what that sort of carbon footprint extravagance does to the environment and thus to climate change It may have, by itself, increased the temperature of the world by a degree or two. It's something like the equivalent of personally strangling 6,290 polar bears to death. But the happier news is that they all felt much better about themselves for having attended and that's the important thing. Not only filthy rich but dead "woke" too.

I wonder if, while they were there, they talked about one of the fastest growing contributions to climate change the internet? I suspect not, because it's something which Google declines to talk and for which it has refused to release figures. It is estimated that a single Google search could power a low-energy light bulb for an hour. There are 2 trillion Google searches per year, 63,000 per second. Close down Google and you'd save half of Antarctica, but I don't suppose that was on the agenda.

As the German newspaper Der Spiegel described the computer companies: "It is a world built on real-world data processing factories that, when it comes to power consumption are reminiscent of the early days of industrialisation. Computing with electrons is just as physical as melting steel or rolling of sheet metal. In both cases, no one cared much about resource consumption in the early phases".

Being lectured about woke stuff by Harry, Leonardo and lots of other exceptionally privileged people who know four-fifths of sod all, is of course irritating. But not half as infuriating as when big companies do it. We live with welfare capitalism because it is probably the best system available, but we are still aware that the big multinational companies are venal, grasping, amoral bastards who would flog their own grannies twice over for a penny share dividend. Fine we get that, it's how the mercantile world works, but corporate weakness rubs our noses in it and it has become terribly au courant.

It is partly the staggering hypocrisy that rankles and partly the knowledge that these smug gilded monkeys are doing it solely to improve their brand image with deeply gullible young people. They really care no more about the environment, racism or gender issues that a grand wizard of the Klu Klux Klan".

Anniebach Mon 05-Aug-19 08:12:42

Callistemon, you thought it was a virgin birth ? x

Callistemon Sun 04-Aug-19 22:56:09

Cherie's divulgence was just one of those things which I wish I had never heard.

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 22:17:03

Pantglas ( green hollow ) , love it ? x

Pantglas1 Sun 04-Aug-19 21:48:16

Indeed Anniebach - I’m known for going off on tangents! Nos da.

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 21:12:28

We have wondered from Harry’s barefoot speech, to Roman Catholics who use contraception being hypocrites to someone speaking of an unplanned pregnancy grin

Pantglas1 Sun 04-Aug-19 21:07:48

My previous post explains my views exactly Anniebach regarding any religion and its believers. And I agree with others, unplanned pregnancies don’t need to be broadcast.

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 20:37:23

I wasn’t interested, didn’t read it, possibly an explanation for an unplanned pregnancy

Jabberwok Sun 04-Aug-19 20:31:30

I think that for Cheri it was a case of Two much Information!! about a personal matter that perhaps some people weren't very interested in!! ?

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 19:58:56

When did Cherie Blair preach against birth control pantglas?

Pantglas1 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:52:27

If you pretend to follow the teachings of your religion or politics but don’t actually do so then, yes, you’re a hypocrite. And my best friend from infant school is Catholic but has never preached - or been a hypocrite.

merlotgran Sun 04-Aug-19 19:45:26

I felt at the time that Cherie's admission that she conceived at Balmoral because she didn't want the maid to see her contraception was TMI.

She got pregnant and had a fourth child. Couldn't she just have left it at that without explanation?

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 19:45:19

really Pantglass, I know many Roman Catholics and not one preaches . For you all Christians who do not follow all the teachings of their Church are hypocrites ? Then I too am a hypocrite.

Pantglas1 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:32:38

Sorry Anniebach, I believe that people who believe and preach one thing, then do another to be hypocrites.

A bit like the people who who would ban private schools, hospitals for others and then use them for their family using the excuse that their loved ones shouldn’t pay the price for their political principles.

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 19:24:51

They would not be hypocrites Pantglas