Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scunthorpe bailed out

(12 Posts)
Day6 Sun 18-Aug-19 21:51:29

Revolution in action, in the UK eh? Used to be a thing left wingers supported.

Now their middle class "superiors" sneer and call it 'populism'.

There is so much irony in that.

Day6 Sun 18-Aug-19 21:49:50

I should add, such people now actively want upheaval and the destruction of a two-party circus which no longer serves them.

Day6 Sun 18-Aug-19 21:47:58

Me too Gilly I come from an area (and working class background) where people were dumped on from on high and left to move on.

They are now very angry (working class, decent and hard-working) people who have lost faith in a political system that ignores them. They aren't heard. Leave is the way forward for them, when (now) even the Labour Party lets them down.

gillybob Sun 18-Aug-19 21:43:29

MazieD the people of Sunderland voted leave because they were fed up with being made to feel like 3rd class citizens of this country . The North East as a whole is a forgotten region.

I voted remain but I totally understand why those people voted leave, I absolutely do.

Day6 Sun 18-Aug-19 20:46:30

As always, economics comes into play. It always has, that's why so many industrial towns had to reinvent themselves and now do well in terms of business parks and science parks.

Many towns relied on the factories and a manufacturing industry. When they are no longer financially viable - for all sorts of reasons, we (and other countries) pick up the slack from elsewhere, at a better price.

It remains to be seen if Turkish investment will save the steelworks in Sunderland. I hope they do well, but the world is changing and getting value for money in terms of goods and services is the name of the game - world-wide.

This has little to do with Brexit, more to do with overseas investment. It's good that we attract investors when the pessimistic Remainers would have us believe the UK is a lost cause. hmm

Eloethan Sun 18-Aug-19 20:35:33

Presumably, without their intervention it would all end in tears anyway - but a lot quicker.

From what I heard in a news report, pension funds from around the world frequently make these sorts of investments and, let's face it, many countries are politically unstable (our own doesn't look too clever at the moment) , not just Turkey.

suziewoozie Fri 16-Aug-19 22:43:12

Why do I not feel that having a Military Pension Fund from a country that is politically unstable buying the steel works is something to celebrate? It will all end in tears I fear.

mcem Fri 16-Aug-19 21:55:45

Absolutely agree Pogs but will the ardent Leave voters even see the connection?
Not quite sure how to interpret the post from less.

Lessismore Fri 16-Aug-19 20:57:38

Oh Lordy, the swarthy immigrants flocking to steal our jobs.

Yawn.

POGS Fri 16-Aug-19 20:52:08

To be honest I just hope the deal goes ahead and things progress and improve for the success of the plant, employees and the local area.

MaizieD Fri 16-Aug-19 18:32:57

If the people of Sunderland are unable to see that their vote to leave the EU had any bearing on Nissan's decision to run down car manufacturing there I'm sure that the people of Scunthorpe are likewise unlikely to see any irony.

mcem Fri 16-Aug-19 18:20:11

So the Military Pension fund of Turkey seems to have saved the steel industry in Scunthorpe.
How many brexit voters were influenced by the 'forecast' that thousands of Turkish immigrants would steal their jobs if/when Turkey joined the EU?
68% of the electorate voted to leave.
I wonder how many will see the irony.