Gransnet forums

News & politics

Please could someone tell me why I should be really worried about Brexit with no deal

(154 Posts)
Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 14:28:41

I'm not worrying enough.

What's going to happen?

GracesGranMK3 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:29:28

I was just wondering why Russia was used to back Minniemoo's unsupported suggestion. Has she a source we don't, perhaps?

MaizieD Sat 31-Aug-19 18:25:40

Countries who made no preparation (for Y2K), one of which was Russia, had no problems.

Sorry, minniemoo. A quick google revealed that Russia did make preparations, often with help from the US. Not as intensively as some countries, but certainly didn't ignore it.

One article noted that one of their 'fixes' was to turn computer 'clocks' back to 1970... could be interesting in 10 years time if the amended programs still exist... grin

SirChenjin Sat 31-Aug-19 17:13:15

I absolutely agree Gill

Nonnie Sat 31-Aug-19 16:37:23

Just seen this, proof that productivity is down due to Brexit : www.ft.com/content/8ab44f8c-cb2e-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0?sharetype=blocked

Nonnie Sat 31-Aug-19 16:33:42

Westend Cummings is an 'unelected' leader! Yes, so didn't we vote against those? grin

minniemoo I prefer experts, don't want my hairdresser doing the plumbing, don't want the electrician doing my operation and don't want the doc to cut my hair. All of these may, on occasion, make mistakes in their speciality but I would much rather trust them to do it than any politician

GillT57 Sat 31-Aug-19 15:20:23

I totally agree with you Sirchenjin and I would withdraw funding from all religious schools be they Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim or whatever else. Religious teaching or doctrine should be out of school hours and provided, if required, by the relevant religious body. It is only by keeping religion out of schools that we can begin to tackle misinformation, prejudice and ignorance.

SirChenjin Sat 31-Aug-19 14:35:28

Perhaps closing state funded Catholic schools which don’t employ non Catholics and which limit access to the full range of sex education, and instead integrating them into mainstream schools could be a way of addressing sectarianism in some parts of Scotland. That won’t happen though, for obvious reasons.

eazybee Sat 31-Aug-19 14:23:28

This month we have seen a major problem on distribution of medical supplies in the South West of the UK. With SW chemists running out of essential life saving drugs and patients having to drive across the UK with prescriptions trying to obtain their medication. "

Sorry, where?
I live in the south west and am not aware of this problem; my diabetic friends have not mentioned this.
Which chemists are running out of essential life -saving drugs? Who are the patients driving across the UK?
Facts please.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 13:13:19

minniemoo which experts are largely right?

Or which experts would you be prepared to listen to?

Only those that with which you agree?

growstuff Sat 31-Aug-19 13:12:54

Would you seriously have taken the risk Minniemoo?

growstuff Sat 31-Aug-19 13:11:17

A bit confused by that comment. Liverpool has Orange Order marches too and anybody with any sense keeps well away from them for the same reason paddyann has explained.

Minniemoo Sat 31-Aug-19 13:09:25

""It has been stated many, many times, that the reason the potential/possible/ problems did not happen was because EXPERTS were listened to and their advice taken, there was calm reasoned planning and all was well. ""

This is not true. Countries who made no preparation, one of which was Russia, had no problems.

" Not much of a comparison is it?"

It's an excellent comparison. People getting whipped up by a sensationalist media.

www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/Y2K-bug/

Experts are not always right.

GillT57 Sat 31-Aug-19 13:03:55

A good thing for who gallusquine? Like your name by the way, and I know what it translates as too!

gallusquine Sat 31-Aug-19 12:47:24

If a no deal Brexit brings Scottish Independence closer it can only be good thing.

paddyann Sat 31-Aug-19 12:47:21

* Lemon* the Irish make up a huge part of the population in the west of Scotland.We are subjected to Orange Order marches throughout the year ,with the only "trouble" coming from those IN the marches .The usual stuff,spitting in a priests face,pushing and punching someone trying to cut through their march ,fighting on Glasgow green ,a child being assualted with a broken bottle .
The rest of us ...the sensible ones stay well out of the way when the OO march.
The Unity for Ireland march last night was not expected to bring any problems ...it was just another march ,like the pro palestinian march recently .The issue was that "LOYALISTS" put up posters asking for their faction to come and disrupt the march .Which they did .As they did the night AFTER the lost independence vote when they burned Saltires and assualted teenagers in George Square .That was AFTER they had won !! God help us if they lose ....the OO should have been kept in check decades ago..now it seems it feels validated by the tory/DUP link .The vast majority of Scots dont want this trash on our streets BUT peaceful marches would be banned along with these thugs .Thats not fair.

My solution would be let them march in circles round the park and they can drink themselves nto oblivion there and yell F the Pope to their hearts content .We cant let them intrude on how OUR country should be run freedom of speech is key to a fair society .

GillT57 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:42:48

Marionk I am saddened that even at this late stage of this drawn out economic suicide there is still someone coming out with the millenium analogy, where have you been? In a cave? It has been stated many, many times, that the reason the potential/possible/ problems did not happen was because EXPERTS were listened to and their advice taken, there was calm reasoned planning and all was well. Not much of a comparison is it?

Loislovesstewie Sat 31-Aug-19 12:37:22

There is a problem with getting insulin in other parts of the country too. I know 2 people, one a family member, who have had issues with getting insulin. As I said further up the thread insulin is not manufactured in the UK, unless it's animal insulin. Analogue insulin mostly comes from the continent , Denmark producing most of it. We can't stockpile it at home so I don't have a clue what will happen if there is no deal. and insulin dependent diabetics will die very quickly without the correct insulin.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:31:34

Well we all know what happened to her don’t we?

HootyMcOwlface Sat 31-Aug-19 12:30:06

No, there is really no need to worry Gonegirl, as knobhead himself has said, its going to be a Titanic success.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:29:11

Why was there a shortage of medicines in the South West realgrandad

westendgirl Sat 31-Aug-19 12:25:12

And did we give a mandate for an unelected "advisor "to have the biggest clout in the government? . The latest shennaikins of Dominic Cummings shows who is pulling the strings . That is what worries me.

Realgranddad Sat 31-Aug-19 12:17:38

I am frankly frightened at such a nightmarish scenario for families on low income, our economy and more in particular for those who are dependent on life saving drugs such as insulin. We are being kept in the dark by politicians. However, It is frightening that those MP’s and those electorate who are supporting a “no deal” are still ignoring the warning from Sir Michael Rawlins, the chair of the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), who informed us that the UK did not produce any insulin, & he raised concerns that a no-deal type Brexit would create supply problems.
The majority of the UK lifesaving drugs are manufactured on the continent including insulin and there is not as yet, any guarantees of ensuring daily replacement of stock levels under a no deal.
One of my grandsons own life style and his ability to work is fully dependent on his daily insulin. He is only one of millions who are extremely worried about the lack of clarity from the DoH and the NHS.

This month we have seen a major problem on distribution of medical supplies in the South West of the UK. With SW chemists running out of essential life saving drugs and patients having to drive across the UK with prescriptions trying to obtain their medication. Think what it could be like under a no deal? I just cannot get my mind around any logical and essential reason force a big black hole of a nightmare scenario of a “NomDeal” upon the nation. One ironically that No politicians including Boris, are able to provide truthful facts about what it will really mean in any economic value, it is in my view just political dogma gone mad. Why should anybody suffer or lives be put at risk for sheer political ideology? Why oh why! are we creating such blind unnecessary madness upon ourselves, none of us gave a mandate for a No deal?

GracesGranMK3 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:05:13

Marionk do you know just how much money and time was spent to ensure it didn't. That post was an example of both the confidence of the ignorant (as you are patently ignorant of what actually happened) and the Dunning-Kruger effect where people will say anything, however bizarre in order to prove what they already believe.

As Charles Darwin said " “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge”

This may even sum up the Brexit problem of a large number of people, ignorant of facts but overly confident in their knowledge.

Nonnie Sat 31-Aug-19 12:00:51

Hazel do you really want to go back to the 60s? No equal pay, bosses can sack you for no good reason. No equality legislation etc.? I don't. I was my husband's 'property' for tax reasons, he could beat me and the police would say it was just a domestic. I could beat my children and no one would intervene. No thanks

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 11:47:44

Paddyann.....they are your own countrymen doing this!!