Gransnet forums

News & politics

Loss of Domestic Abuse Bill

(20 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 07:33:52

The Domestic Abuse Bill has fallen because of the proroguing of Parliament. The Home Office has refused to say whether it will resurrect it in the Queens Speech. The following is the Government’s own summary of its provisions. It will be heartbreaking if all this is lost. Reading through the list I’m shocked that some of it is not already enacted,

“The Domestic Abuse Bill will:

define domestic abuse in law to underpin other measures in the bill
establish a Domestic Abuse Commissioner, to stand up for victims and survivors, raise public awareness, monitor the response of local authorities, the justice system and other statutory agencies and hold them to account in tackling domestic abuse
provide for a new Domestic Abuse Protection Notice and Domestic Abuse Protection Order
create a new domestic abuse offence in Northern Ireland to criminalise controlling or coercive behaviour
prohibit perpetrators of abuse from cross-examining their victims in person in the family courts
create a statutory presumption that victims of domestic abuse are eligible for special measures in the criminal courts (for example, to enable them to give evidence via a video link)
enable domestic abuse offenders to be subject to polygraph testing as a condition of their licence following their release from custody
place the guidance supporting the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (“Clare’s law”) on a statutory footing
ensure that where a local authority, for reasons connected with domestic abuse, grants a new secure tenancy to a social tenant who had or has a secure lifetime or assured tenancy (other than an assured shorthold tenancy) this must be a secure lifetime tenancy
extend the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the criminal courts in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to further violent and sexual offences*

FarNorth Thu 12-Sep-19 10:22:23

I wasn't aware of this bill, but I agree its provisions are much needed.

GillT57 Thu 12-Sep-19 10:28:26

This is yet another victim of the Proroguing of Parliament, and the Labour MP Jess Phillips is spitting tacks. I am sure there must be other proposed laws and changes which will have fallen by the wayside and will have to start again, or sadly, may not. What a disgrace, but then again, I don't suppose the victims of domestic abuse are target voters by the ERG group anyway so are simply collateral damage. This government should hang its head in shame, but I don't suppose it will.

Alexa Thu 12-Sep-19 10:34:19

This government will not hang its head in shame because it has joined the global trend towards extreme right and fascism.

GillT57 Thu 12-Sep-19 10:43:16

Sadly Alexa I think you are right.

Cherrytree59 Thu 12-Sep-19 10:55:08

If brexit had gone through as it was supposed to have in March, UK domestic matters would have been back on the agenda for the last 5 to 6 months.

Perhaps those that wish for another brexit delay should at realise that more and more of our domestic matters will be kicked into touch, whilst MPs argue the toss.

NotSpaghetti Thu 12-Sep-19 10:58:09

This is a much needed bill that is victim of circumstance. Don't expect the current government will care much about it, sadly.
It was to have been one of Theresa May's legacy projects but the suspension of parliament has probably kicked it into the long grass.

suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 11:21:37

Never mind the delays - there is nothing to stop the Government from committing to putting it in the Q’’s Speech except a lack of caring.

Labaik Thu 12-Sep-19 12:09:52

So, Cherrytree; what is YOUR solution to the Irish problem?

eazybee Thu 12-Sep-19 13:17:48

The people who are preventing this Bill being heard are the assortment of MPs from all parties who have allowed their personal determination to derail Brexit at any cost to thwart the normal business of the House.

Imagine if there was behaviour like this among members of the Police, the Army, Education and Social Services.

paddyann Thu 12-Sep-19 13:24:11

eazybee....unlike your sainted Teresa most of us dont believe a no deal is better than a bad deal...but we dont want a bad deal either.So OUR representatives will do what they can to make sure whatever happens we dont come out of the EU much worse off as it now looks we will.
We voted for our MP's to carry out what we want...that is to REMAIN .

suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 13:27:59

No eazy it’s the Government who are not committing to putting it in the Queens Speech - we can argue forever about how it got lost but there’s a simple solution to resurrecting it

suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 14:23:18

Good it looks like it will be in the QS. Excellent

Labaik Thu 12-Sep-19 17:21:03

Good news, that. Bet it's only because it's been given so much publicity.

Baggs Thu 12-Sep-19 17:44:06

suziewoozie, you say "some of it is not already enacted". To me this implies that some of it is already enacted. Are you able to list which parts are already enacted, please? I think it is worth knowing exactly what still needs enacting.

Another question: is there any reason why this bill, or a similar one cannot be put forward in the relatively near future?

Baggs Thu 12-Sep-19 17:44:57

Ah, x posts.

suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 17:59:53

Sorry Baggs I can see what I posted wasn’t clear - when I said I was surprised some of it wasn’t already enacted, it was a clumsy shorthand for meaning I couldn’t believe that some of hadn’t been legislated for ages ago but other parts I could see sprang from more recent thinking

suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 18:12:13

Yes Lab I think the publicity made the difference

NotSpaghetti Tue 24-Sep-19 14:01:25

Hooray!
Maybe this will get a hearing after all!
Let’s hope it gets dealt with asap now the House is sitting again.
Fingers crossed.
?

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Sep-19 17:45:48

Just heard this is to be discussed on Wednesday.
Great news!