Gransnet forums

News & politics

So that's OK then.

(21 Posts)
growstuff Thu 12-Sep-19 17:13:36

*EU not paying UK firms to outsource
by Jack Schickler | 21.06.2016*

A series of claims ironically entitled “how good the EU has been for British jobs” has popped up on numerous comment boards and social networking sites, purporting to show that the EU has repeatedly paid companies to leave the UK.
The statements, made by various sources in similar terms along these lines, are not true, according to three companies on the online list contacted by InFacts. Dyson, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) and Marks & Spencer all denied they had received EU funding in the way suggested.
A related claim by Pro-Brexit Euro-MP Daniel Hannan that “the EU gave Ford a grant to relocate from Southampton to Turkey” is tendentious. In 2012 Ford did receive a loan from the European Investment Bank (EIB), an EU institution, of around £150 million for a factory in Turkey. The loan was not to relocate, as Hannan says, though it occurred around the same time as Ford chose to close its factory in Southampton.
As such, the loan stirred controversy in local newspapers. But it should be put in context of EIB lending in Britain, which was worth around £6 billion last year. EIB loans fund projects like Crossrail and the Midlands Metropolitan Hospital in Birmingham. Notably, the bank lent Ford £450 million in 2010 to develop a new generation of greener vehicles in the UK.

infacts.org/eu-not-paying-uk-firms-outsource/

M0nica Thu 12-Sep-19 16:50:40

This is thread is not anti-Brexit voters but supporting those who voted out. Brexiteers like quizqueen reached their decisions to vote 'out' after a cool consideration of the arguments for and against.

There is nothing in the YellowHammer document that has not been endlessly discussed since the Referendum campaign first began, so they obviously voted with knowledge afore thought about the downsides.

When there children and grandchildren lose their jobs, they will be quite relaxed about it, accepting that this is just the downside. No medication for their diabetes or high blood pressure. Hey-ho, they knew it was coming and have of course, carefully built up a little stockpile. If other people have been less wise, so what.

Riots in the street? not in there safe haven - all their savings are already offshore. As for the chlorine washed chicken and the beef cattle stuffed to the gills with antibiotics, because so much of their lives are spent in overcrowded pens being stuffed with soya protein, They're all right jack, they have got a nice little arrangement with a local farmer and his farm shop.

So three cheers for those who voted Leave and are prepared for for what is coming.

Labaik Thu 12-Sep-19 16:22:03

Didn't Gove in an interview blame the EU for his fathers company going out of business, only for his father to publicly state it wasn't true. However, what his father said got far less publicity.

Bathsheba Thu 12-Sep-19 14:06:27

Why do you think you won't be a European Nannytopsy? Is the UK being removed geographically from the European continent? confused

Nannytopsy Thu 12-Sep-19 13:33:09

I am in France at the moment and so sad that next time I come I won’t be a European.

Dyffryn Thu 12-Sep-19 13:23:26

Shame on anyone who thinks that is leaving will just be bumpy. They obviously do not care about our children who will lose their jobs, people who cannot get medicines, day to day life being affected by fuel and food shortages. For what I would like to know because I cannot see one benefit of leaving the EU.

Riverwalk Thu 12-Sep-19 12:49:01

I am not claiming it won't be bumpy but that will be because the EU will be so spiteful that they will try to destroy us.

Oh, what a cop-out! Blaming the EU when things get 'bumpy'.

We have all those wonderful trade deals with the BRIC countries to look forward to - the BRIC countries, remember them?

As for Greenland, they are a protectorate of Denmark, not really comparable.

MaizieD Thu 12-Sep-19 10:16:19

dutchreview.com/news/economy/over-250-businesses-are-wanting-to-move-to-the-netherlands-ahead-of-brexit/

An old story, from January this year. I would imagine that the numbers are even greater now.

All the fault of the EU, of course, for having seduced UK businesses into developing close trading links with EU member states over the past 40+ years and developing the dastardly Single Market which made trade even easier for them.

Still, let's say good riddance to these traitors who prefer venal profitability to patriotic penury...

GillT57 Thu 12-Sep-19 10:15:52

oh quizqueen, rather a pathetic example, surely you must have heaps more to justify your willingness to go through shortages of fresh food, medicines, fuel?

Chewbacca Thu 12-Sep-19 10:09:54

Thanks for starting this thread M0nica; I had to give up on the other thread about Yellowhammer for the reasons you've given. Hope this one won't get sabotaged too.

mcem Thu 12-Sep-19 09:59:03

Well quizqueen why don't you supply a couple of those reports?
I don't mean biased anecdotes or articles from msm!

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:59:02

quizqueen, in regard to your post @ 09:38 today, the European Union is an open market of four hundred an eighty million people. Following Brexit, the United Kingdom will be a closed market of sixty million people.

All Businesses planning forward investment are looking at both markets and inevitably placing their investment in European Union member states due to the fact that there are to be found the largest and most stable trading conditions along with a seamless free market.

It is as simple as that, although leavers seem not able to appreciate that point.

Anyway, i am off to the Offices now, so see you later.

quizqueen Thu 12-Sep-19 09:38:19

Where is the report of the dangers of staying in the EU and the list of companies which have gone out of business over the last 40+ years because WE HAVE BEEN IN THE EU?

Talk to the ex Ford workers in Eastleigh, near Southampton for a start, a car plant which closed down when the EU gave a grant to help them move to Turkey- a bloody non EU country. That's what our 'friends' in the EU do and will continue to do.

I voted Leave, I will always vote leave. Even Greenland managed to leave and survive! I am not claiming it won't be bumpy but that will be because the EU will be so spiteful that they will try to destroy us.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:34:57

Further to my above post and comments on the manufactoring industry, the finance industry is also in the same process with the staggering amount of eight hundred Billion pound being moved out of Britain at the time of the last fiscal year-end.

Seventy five billion has been moved by the insurance industry in the last few weeks with more insurance finance to follow.

Many hundreds of thousands of jobs are tied up in the United Kingdoms manufacturing and finance industries and in the supply of goods and services to those indutries.

The tax take from those businesses to the British government will be greatly reduced impacting on the nations ability to fund such things as education, welfare and state pensions.

However, not one leading brexiteer ever comments on this ever-growing situation, and leave supporters on forums such as this also refuse to make any remark. Instead, they continue to believe in some Brexit utopia despite all the mounting evidence that such a utopia does not exist for this nation.

Media links to above:-
www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/01/one-three-uk-firms-activate-plans-move-operations-abroad-no-deal-brexit-iod-survey

www.independent.ie/world-news/nearly-800-billion-of-assets-moved-to-europe-due-to-brexit-uncertainty-37688158.html

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-02/great-brexit-insurance-migration-shifts-75-billion-from-london

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:28:05

I must apologise if I muddled the yellowhammer thread with my posts, but I feel so very strongly about something which we have known would happen since before the referendum.

I have been trying to give a flavour of opinion on social media. Which clearly isn’t working.

Notably I have found it impossible to find a brexiter, who is willing to support the possible future outlined in the documents which isn’t unpleasant.

mcem Thu 12-Sep-19 09:17:37

But so far on GN only one poster has been brave enough to come out and admit that she now feels she made a mistake.

NannyJan53 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:06:19

I cannot believe that any Leave voter is agreeing with this. It is mind boggling that they are!

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:03:24

My own company are relocating part of our operations to Belgium due to Brexit. We are accomplishing that by purchasing a business already administering it's business in the same field as ourselves.

A few years ago we would never have dreamt of diverging outside of the United Kingdom, but the fact our major customers are moving their operations into Europe makes our move as a supplier inevitable.

Our Somerset base will remain but expansion plans for it will be curtailed due to the cost of the Belgian development.

Outside of our industry, one in three manufacturing companies are in the process or advanced planning stage of relocating into European Union member states, and where those manufacturers go their suppliers are following if only for the sake of their survival.

Is this taking back control?

suziewoozie Thu 12-Sep-19 09:02:58

There are many people who will be adversely affected who will not have the choice of moving away but will have to stay and struggle/suffer. The ones who because of years already of austerity have lower wages/insecure jobs/ no opportunity to buy a home. How can anyone deny that it will be the already hard up who will be worst affected by Brexit? Can anyone name one member of the Cabinet who will have to worry about the roof over their head ( and that of their children), their health care, social care, supply of medicines, food - not one will be affected whatever happens.

mcem Thu 12-Sep-19 08:40:39

I've just read the Yellowhammer thread where there is a very sad post from a brexit voter who now regrets her vote as it means her family is having to move away because their jobs are being relocated.

M0nica Thu 12-Sep-19 08:33:14

I am starting a new thread on the government document on the results of no deal Brexit because the current one has been taken over by one poster who has made it unreadable and unfollowable.

This document listing chaos at the ports, riots in the street, shortages of food and medications, job losses, companies closing has been drawn up by those in favour of Brexit.

This is the optimistic view of the worst that can happen hmm. To which we must add all the unintended consequences that no-one had foreseen, those always arise, not to mention the side effects that those less well inclined would add, some of which will come to pass if not all.

So that's OK then. Brexiteers everywhere must be cheering, they said it would be OK.