Gransnet forums

News & politics

Empty nest

(15 Posts)
annep1 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:21:20

Sending warm thoughts to those of you who are missing family. flowers

annep1 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:14:51

My daughter hasn't been home for two years with my grandsons and won't skype. I have visited her 3 times which isn't easy healthwise. Can't visit son in France. Road journey too long for me from airport ( well done son choosing where to live! ) Haven't seen him in 16 months. He rings me lots though.
I do envy my siblings who have family dinners, people popping in and out and whose grandchildren stay over and love them. My grandchildren are strangers. The ones who live in Ireland aren't interested in me. I've tried to keep in touch and am very generous with them. But nothing in return.
I feel very sad at times then just get on and make the best of my life with OH and friends. At least I don't have the problem of being asked to help too much as other GNetters have.
Life doesn't always turn out the way you want it to Willow1. Just got to be happy with what you have.

HettyMaud Thu 12-Sep-19 22:03:03

I started a thread about this some time back. I miss my AC even though one of them lives near me. I see my son about 5 times a year and I have to hold back the tears when we part even though he's been gone for 20 years.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Sep-19 21:58:03

We are on whatsapp all the time - photos wing back and forth of all the lovely things they are doing, sometimes several times a day. I feel as if they are in the room and never far away. I can recommend it. We are so lucky to have this.

Doodledog Thu 12-Sep-19 21:48:46

My children both live miles away, too. I did see my daughter at the weekend, which was lovely, but it will be a while before I see her again, and probably Christmas before I see my son.

I do miss them both; but we have set up a family WhatsApp group, which makes it easier. My daughter is better at sending messages and photos than my son, but it does allow us to spend virtual time together, eg when the last Eurovision was on, we 'watched it' together, like we did when they were at home. My husband wasn't interested in that, but he joins in other things.

It's not the same as having them near, but it's better than not seeing them, and it does mean that we keep in touch.

I agree with Daisymae, that finding things to do that you enjoy is a good idea. As she says, you will have more to talk about, and you might find that you don't miss them so much when you are occupied with other things.
x

Daisymae Thu 12-Sep-19 20:54:28

It's difficult, but you are not alone. I would try to do something rewarding each day, walking, seeing a friend, go to the cinema - whatever interests you. That way when you do contact your relations you will have something positive to talk about. XX

love0c Thu 12-Sep-19 18:58:00

Just add a post on here when you feel low or lonely. Lots of kind people who will know how you are feeling and will give you support with kind words. To know you are not alone can help a little.

Joyfulnanna Thu 12-Sep-19 17:14:01

Very sad

Anniebach Thu 12-Sep-19 16:29:26

Same for me Willow, this forum helps my loneliness

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 16:16:24

Post some more. I will look out for you.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 16:15:50

We will bear it you know. We have to. flowers

Willow1 Thu 12-Sep-19 16:13:33

I am new to this forum ...thank you so much for answering

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 15:57:16

It's my GS's birthday today too. We had a get together on Sunday to celebrate, but I wish I could have seen him today. He is 18.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 15:55:56

I know just what you mean Willow1. Crazy isn't it. to have empty nest syndrome after so long.

My adult son has been here on a visit and he is going back later on today. I get so mis about being without him again. No advice I'm afraid. If I had any I would take it myself. x

Willow1 Thu 12-Sep-19 15:49:08

Here I am again feeling low. My sons are 48,37and 30 .grandsons 13and 4. The trouble is non of them live close.my friends and neighbours have family popping in and out and I have moments where I just can't bare it any more .