Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you scared

(311 Posts)
morethan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:35:07

Before I start I’ll nail my colours to a mast I voted remain. I’m not thrilled with the result but I accept it. I’m a little anxious about all the information of a no deal brexit and I expect most remainers are. I don’t want to start a bun fight but are those of you who voted out are you concerned about a no deal exit? I’m not asking for reassurance just if you feel very confident about the outcome of a no deal.

jura2 Fri 20-Sep-19 16:25:48

From Metro today:

Leading cancer charities have expressed their alarm that a no-deal Brexit could have a grave impact on ‘lifesaving research’ to treat childhood cancers. It comes after the publication of the government’s Yellowhammer papers, which warned that medicines would be ‘particularly vulnerable to severe delays’ in the event of Britain crashing out of the EU without a deal. The documents also highlighted that ‘three-quarters of medicines’ come from the EU. Cancer charities are now calling on the government to take steps to ensure the ‘supply of medicines and lifesaving research’ which are so vital to treating children’s cancers, are not harmed by a no-deal Brexit, after Boris Johnson reaffirmed his commitment to leaving the EU with or without a deal on October 31. Cancer research UK says that more than a quarter of the clinical trials that it funds involved at least one other EU country, which are ‘particularly important for rare and children’s cancers’. The charity’s head of policy, Emlyn Samuel, told Metro.co.uk: ‘It’s imperative that a “no-deal” Brexit does not disrupt the supply of medicines and medicinal products to the UK, or threaten vital international research collaboration. ‘More than a quarter of the clinical trials that Cancer Research UK funds involve at least one other EU country, and these are particularly important for rare and children’s cancers.

Read more: metro.co.uk/2019/09/15/brexit-delay-lifesaving-cancer-treatment-will-hit-children-hardest-10747050/?ito=article.desktop.share.top.facebook&fbclid=IwAR0bfbCnclaLyBBZ7fHcqo3lKqOYA-SuHOfn6cpv4NZTgVTAnoxk0ZxJN2c?ito=cbshare

Twitter: twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

jura2 Thu 19-Sep-19 19:27:48

www.facebook.com/BestForBritain/videos/2383611131887182

jura2 Thu 19-Sep-19 19:27:19

Beggars belief : 'https://www.facebook.com/BestForBritain/videos/2383611131887182/'

does he know he will go blind and have feet, then to lower knee, then up some more, amputated. Won't be an easy death.

But it is his choice, I suppose. How would he feel if it was his daughter, or granchild, who was insulin dependent diabetic though.

Many comments on FB and Twitter do say what I said earlier. If you vote for it- you should be the first to go without- and don't you dare take it away from my children and grand-children sad

jura2 Thu 19-Sep-19 17:32:47

'Isn’t it up to the EU countries to reassure the million or so U.K. residents living over there?'

no, why should it be?

varian Thu 19-Sep-19 17:19:16

Rise in EU citizens not getting UK settled status causes alarm.

Proportion being granted pre-settled status – with fewer rights – has risen to 42%

A sharp rise in the proportion of EU citizens not considered eligible for settled status has caused alarm among campaign groups as the rush to secure the right to stay in the country gathers pace ahead of a possible no-deal Brexit.

The settled status scheme has been running since March for EU nationals living in the UK to establish their permanent right to live in the UK. In his first House of Commons speech Boris Johnson emphasised that applicants could expect “absolute certainty for the right to live and remain” and said: “I repeat unequivocally our guarantee to the 3.2 million EU nationals now living and working among us.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/30/eu-citizens-uk-settled-status-alarm

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 15:51:27

Isn’t it up to the EU countries to reassure the million or so U.K. residents living over there?

The U.K. have reassured the 3 million E.U. residents over here who just have to apply on line. My friend did it recently - it took 10 minutes!

jura2 Thu 19-Sep-19 15:47:54

and what really really is more than unfair- is that I know some people, both in the UK and who live in the EU- who voted for Brexit - and then made a beeline for that Irish passport, having had no interest in their Irish roots previously sad

PernillaVanilla Thu 19-Sep-19 14:58:45

HRT is generally made from synthetic hormones, not horses urine, these days. Mine certainly is.

I certainly agree that the British Citizens living in the EU have been very shabbily treated, and that no one seems to care, in particular about their health cover. I'm not logically correct about this but I do feel it is not fair that those of my friends and colleagues who have managed to find an Irish Grandparent are now sitting pretty with dual nationality whereas those of us whose grandmothers/fathers married the boy next door are now stuck here unless we are able to get through some other hoops.

jura2 Thu 19-Sep-19 14:42:09

Just been to see young friends in France who recently got married and had a gorgeous baby boy 3 months ago. He has a EU passport, she UK, her 10 year old from previous relationship a Swiss one. For reasons totally beyond their control, they both lost their jobs recently - and they are worried sick about the future. She thinks No Deal will happen, and will put them in an extremely difficult situation. She is worried sick about her mother, in her 70s and not very well at all- and that she won't be able to get the medicines she needs, and might not be treated if her recent condition is cancer related.

Hysterical I've been told so many times - but some of you have NO idea what families are going through- especially mixed families, who are living in the EU now. Another young friend was tragically widowed a couple of years ago, whilst her OH was still working in the UK preparing the final move to France. She has two children, one of whom has a severe condition which is expensive to treat- and she herself had cancer and long painful treatment a few years back and has no idea if and when it might recur. And she has NO idea what will happen. And there are 1000 more cases, all very complicated, involving all sorts of illnesses and handicaps that were not 'expected' before making the move. It is heart breaking.

So I'm afraid, HRT shortage is the least of most people's worries.

MaizieD Tue 17-Sep-19 17:29:24

I suppose there is a limit to the amount of pregnant horse urine that can be collected

Perhaps all the patriotic UK owners of pregnant mares should be exhorted to collect their mares' urine for the nation's menopausal women... Like they got children to collect rosehips in WW2...

Joelsnan Tue 17-Sep-19 16:08:26

pernillaVanilla
I suppose there is a limit to the amount of pregnant horse urine that can be collected to make the major HRT medication. Maybe should try phyto oestrogens.

PernillaVanilla Tue 17-Sep-19 15:56:55

There is already a shortage of HRT, if many more of us are battling menopausal symptoms without relief there will be mayhem!!!

Grandad1943 Tue 17-Sep-19 15:54:09

Elegran, in regard to your post @-15:02 today, there is much in what you state that I can agree with. I would add that the British first past the post electoral system needs to be dispensed with, along with the accompanying antiquated adversarial parliamentary system.

However, Britains present political and constitutional crisis seems to deepen by the day as Johnsons visit to Luxenberg demonstrated only too well yesterday. Nonetheless we are at present locked into the system of governance we have now and that will not change throughout whatever the length of this crisis is to be.

The above is the reason I feel that people should be deeply concerned for it would seem we have a legal and political system that is incapable of resolving any aspect of what now can only be called a national confrontation

Elegran Tue 17-Sep-19 15:36:17

I agree with you, growstuff We are diminished by this in so many ways. Leavers think that it somehow will magically improve the standing of the Uk in the world, but the reverse is true. It makes us appear like two-year-olds who smash a toy in temper and then blame the children they are playing with for making them do it.

growstuff Tue 17-Sep-19 15:15:47

I'm not scared that the sky will fall in on 1 November, but I am fearful that I live in a country which will become increasingly less important and where life will become more difficult.

growstuff Tue 17-Sep-19 15:14:03

I agree with you Elegran but would just like to make the point that it goes beyond trade. Brexit will affect whether people can continue to live in the UK and whether UK citizens can continue to live in the EU. Families will be split.

It will affect whether people can study and work in the EU and how we co-operate with our neighbours on issues such as drug safety, security and crime.

It will also affect the UK's place in the world. The people who think that the UK will somehow return to being the country with an empire on which the sun never set are deluded. We're already being seen like a spoilt child stamping its feet, while other countries behave like grown ups. Other countries aren't interested in the internal politics of the Conservative Party. What they see is that the UK made a promise to pay a bill, but reneged on that commitment.

Elegran Tue 17-Sep-19 15:02:27

It is usual in organisations (businesses, charities, social clubs, hobby groups, PTAs, and so on) that a proposal to change any fundamental tenet of the constitutional rules should only be adopted if a stated proportion of the whole membership votes for the change - and the proportion is generally something like 75% or 80%.

17,500,000 leave voters out of 46,500,000 total electorate (rounded figures) converts to about 37.6 percent of the population wanting change enough to vote for it.

Changing the way a whole modern country conducts its trade is surely at least as important as changing a detail of the chess club's standing rules on competitions. An incompetent referendum does not deserve the impassioned defence it has received.

jura2 Tue 17-Sep-19 14:52:05

And they say it is scare mongering - yes, I am scared

youtu.be/FcYeEkBCtsw

grammargran Tue 17-Sep-19 14:38:23

17,410,742 votes for leave out of 46, 500,001 registered voters - call that the ‘will of the people’, JenniferEccles? I am absolutely sick and tired of hearing that phrase trotted out. A second referendum with defined conditions such as a two-thirds majority (which should’ve happened last time) now that the public are so much better informed, is the only way forward - and yes, I am scared. I’m scared of a no deal Brexit, I’m scared of Brexit with a deal and I’m bloomin’ scared of Boris Johnson, his mad cabinet and Dominic Cummings. There, that’s my fears laid bare ......

Elegran Tue 17-Sep-19 09:46:45

Grammargran - If you want to comment, then do so. There are plenty of views expressed where the poster has clearly not noticed that it has been said before. You just have to take your chance along with everyone else. Type it in, press "Post message" and send it!

MaizieD Tue 17-Sep-19 09:16:08

I don't think anything has to be done, Fennel. By the workings of Article 50 our membership ends on 30th October unless we have revoked or obtained an extension.

Although Parliament has passed an Act to prevent the government from leaving with no deal I don't see what can be done to ensure it is observed unless the power to ask for an extension, or to revoke, is legally taken away from the government by Parliament.

Fennel Tue 17-Sep-19 08:59:35

I can't remember if I've alredy commented - so many Brexit threads.
So yes I'm a bit scared for the future, everything is so uncertain.
But a question - what has to be done by the PM, or Parliament etc, on Oct. 30th, to finally cut our bonds with the EU?

morethan2 Tue 17-Sep-19 08:48:06

grammargran it doesn’t matter what anyone else has said. I just wanted to know what individuals were concerned about. Our day to day concerns not the rights and wrongs of staying or leaving. smile

growstuff Tue 17-Sep-19 08:29:32

In what way do you think Johnson is showing strength?

I think the EU thinks that he's behaving like a petulant two year old and the sooner he and the UK go away, the better. They don't see him as "strong".

Some people seem to think that the EU is out to "get" the UK.

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Sep-19 08:12:46

Yes, I am very concerned. I wanted to remain in Europe. It is a total mess and goodness knows what is round the corner but we can't do anything about it now. My Mom who is 97 is also worried, she wanted to remain too.