Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change

(5 Posts)
boat Mon 16-Sep-19 19:22:15

I am scared stiff for my DS and DGs.

My main priorities are air quality and temperature. What are yours?

varian Mon 16-Sep-19 19:39:23

Citizens’ assemblies will decide what action should be taken on the climate crisis, the Treasury’s ability to stymie green measures will be neutralised and the Green Investment Bank will be revived under proposals set to be key planks of the Liberal Democrats’ general election bid.

Along with sweeping reform of Whitehall, including bringing back a department of climate change, local government would be given new powers to cut emissions, there would be a moratorium on airport expansion and an end to fracking, and the UK would achieve net-zero carbon status by 2045 – five years sooner than the current government goal.

“Moving to net-zero is a complete game-changer,” Wera Hobhouse, the Lib Dem spokesperson for the environment and climate change, told the Guardian. “The whole of government and society need to understand the need to get to net-zero – everything we do needs to be seen in terms of that target.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/14/lib-dems-set-out-radical-agenda-for-tackling-climate-emergency

M0nica Mon 16-Sep-19 20:06:17

It worries me too

rosecarmel Mon 16-Sep-19 20:10:47

Mine run the gamut- I currently feel passionate about electing representatives that are themselves passionate about facilitating major changes rapidly despite any sacrifices that society as a whole need to make in order to halt further destruction and implement sustainable practices to get the entire planet on an even keel towards recovery-

As climate changes, it creates changes in weather- From the severity of storms, to high heat and polar plunges- An unpredicted system came through here just the other day, snapping trees in half, dragging down power lines and dropping so much rain at such a fast pace that the storm drains became so inundated that they were shooting water "out" of them 2-3 feet high-

Hurricane damage is stacking up, reaching devastating proportions more frequently-

I can't even get into food quality .. My rants on that will last as long as any listener can manage!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Sep-19 20:18:19

It has to be a worldwide effort. China, India, Russia, America and even Germany (who are destroying ancient forests in order to mine brown coal which is extremely polluting) have no inclination to curb their carbon emissions.

Producers in the U.K. Seem to be cutting back on packaging, albeit slowly.

We can all do our bit, which will help in the long run.

However having family scattered across the globe, I shall continue to fly.