Gransnet forums

News & politics

'the bloc’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier told Mr Johnson to stop “pretending” to negotiate.'

(41 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 19-Sep-19 07:42:40

12 days to broker a deal OR leave with no deal.

AND Boris has been lying to the UK about any negotiations. He's bluffing it. Bluffing the financial future of the UK.

What a selfish, self-obsessed, over-entitled, financially safe AR*E.

Fiddling while the UK burns. Arrghhh!!!!

Anja Sat 21-Sep-19 07:48:45

Urmstongran take the blinkers off plesse ?

Iam64 Sat 21-Sep-19 07:38:28

I’m away in a country in the southern part of Europe. We are sharing our holiday with members of this country and most other Northern European countries. People feel sad n sympathetic to our plight. Some agree the EU needs amending but without exception remain committed to the Union, I’ve not met anyone who doesn’t roll their eyes about our PM. He’s bonkers is a common refrain.
I’m a remainder but share Urmstongran’s view that it was a very close outcome. I’d add that we all know more now, no one can still believe Gove’s statements about it being easy to leave. Polarisation isn’t helping anyone. The level of anger is unhealthy. If there isn’t to be a People’s vote, compromise is the way forward
By the way, how can the comment that Johnson has achieved more than May be justified? He is a Trump type, keep shouting, insisting you’re the greatest and some will believe the nonsense and bluster

Peonyrose Sat 21-Sep-19 07:26:49

What a lot of scaremongering, without foundation people can be. If remain had won the referendum would the leavers have behaved so irresponsibly trying to overthrow democracy. We have been shown Europes true colours, they are not for us. Just our money. The world is there for us to trade, in particular Australia. That's the way forward. Those with a holiday home abroad will feel the pinch, but there are enough people here without one home, so I won't cry about that. I would prefer no deal, but it will be what it is.

growstuff Sat 21-Sep-19 03:52:08

Some people do believe it, Whitewave. confused

jura2 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:28:19

'Almost £450m allocated to stop drug shortages for no-deal Brexit'

can you imagine what could be done if the money could be used to actually treat people?

'He has got more done in 6 weeks than May did in 3 years.'

what, what, what has he actually done or achieved. Please you can't say things like that without giving information about what it is he did do ...

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:23:49

Talks going well??

Why on earth does this shower of a government think we actually believe anything they say.

GillT57 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:02:52

day6 why is Almost £450m allocated to stop drug shortages for no-deal Brexit such a triumph? If we didn't leave we wouldn't have to spend it!!!! This side of a bus money is getting frittered away rather quickly isn't it?

Unbelievable.

MaizieD Fri 20-Sep-19 13:59:19

He has got more done in 6 weeks than May did in 3 years.

How do you work that out, newnanny?

Can you tell us what he's done, because from where I'm sitting it looks like a series of defeats in Parliament, a possibly illegal prorogation, lots of hot air and lies spoken around the country, no new Withdrawal Agreement and nothing workable to replace the Backstop.

pinkquartz Fri 20-Sep-19 13:50:23

Framilode

we are all in this together. If the country falters everyone who cannot leave will suffer. Do you not understand that?

Johnson is a lying nutcase (can i say that?)
.We could not have dreamt of this. It is so bad.
I have no idea what is gong to happen but I feel very vulnerable.

newnanny Fri 20-Sep-19 13:43:20

I think Boris is doing his best to negotiate a deal. On TV this morning I saw Juncker being interviewed and he said the meeting he had with Boris went well and he thought a deal was possible by Oct 31st. He has got more done in 6 weeks than May did in 3 years. If he can get alternative to backstop I think it can get through parliament as 30 Labour MP's have now said they will break ranks and vote it through.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-Sep-19 13:04:30

Listening to the EU Parliament the other day it was pointed out by one of our MEPs that whilst we import 37million drug packs per year from the EU we export 45milliom packs to the EU.

The largest supplier of insulin has stated repeatedly that they are ready for any Brexit eventuality and have plenty of stock.

varian Fri 20-Sep-19 12:58:46

"go with the flow" - even if that means "down the plughole"?

Day6 Thu 19-Sep-19 21:40:04

From PULSE - the GP publication .

Almost £450m allocated to stop drug shortages for no-deal Brexit

"The Government is to invest £434m in stockpiling and freight capacity in order to prevent drugs shortages in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The funding forms part of an extra £2.1bn announced today to prepare the UK for a no-deal.

A total of £434m will be made available as part of an immediate cash injection of £1.1m to prepare ‘critical areas’ for the UK’s exit from the EU on 31 October.

The funding will go towards ensuring the ’continuity of vital medicines and medical products’ through warehousing, stockpiling and freight capacity.

The Government has so far allocated £4.2bn for preparing for the EU exit since 2016. Of that, £71.1m has been allocated to the Department of Health and Social Care for Brexit preparations since 2018, according to a report outlining the departmental allocations of EU exit funding.

In February, the DHSC said it would spend £11m on medicine shortages in preparation for a no-deal Brexit."

Of course preparations have been on-going for ages! Much of my work involved assessing risk. Most professionals have to do it and prepare for worst-case scenarios.

The Remainer catastrophising is reaching epidemic proportions. hmm I rely on many drugs, as do some family members. We have all been assured the NHS will cope, has contingency plans and we will not die from shortages.

Remainers ought to be mindful that stress is a killer.

Ever heard of going with the flow? We have always been at the mercy of the NHS and it hasn't let us down yet.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 21:10:16

It won’t be No Deal Labaik as Boris & his team are going full pelt for A Deal.

Let’s all hope we get one!

Labaik Thu 19-Sep-19 21:03:44

I think it's vindictive to not care that people could die from a shortage of medication if there is a no deal brexit; each to their own, I guess....

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 20:22:35

That just seems vindictive Framilode

As a Leaver, I’d have been judged harshly for having such a cavalier attitude!
?

Framilode Thu 19-Sep-19 20:15:19

Quizqueen I am a remainer but there is part of me that wishes for no deal because I want to see the brexiteers own the chaos they have caused. When the jobs start to go, particularly in the industrial areas that voted heavily to leave, there will be no sympathy from me. You voted for it - get over it.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 20:07:52

Wow quizqueen! That’s certainly one way of looking at it.

However, I truly believe Boris will get ‘a’ deal. Perhaps only a few tweaks to TM’s deal, but with 31 October looming, enough to get it through the HoC.

I’ve always hoped so.

I’m a Leaver but quite honestly, the vote was so marginal, I was always happy to think of a compromise.

Not all to suit Leave. Not all to suit Remain.

A bit of both. Surely that’s really what a compromise is - neither side ‘happy’? But the MP’s on both sides rejected TM’s WA.

I did always think it was the best way forward. Time to build bridges really I suppose.

Day6 Thu 19-Sep-19 20:03:33

Nice reply Gill57 Your posts have a similar affect on me too, it has to be said. hmm

Day6 Thu 19-Sep-19 20:00:48

Talks are ongoing. People ARE working hard behind the scenes

Indeed Urmstongran Of course they are. Since when have government negotiations for anything been open to all? Never.

What Barnier and co do not like is a British PM who has laid his cards on the table.

The EU holds the rest of the pack. They have to play theirs - and now they have a UK ultimatum too, thank goodness. Well played Boris!

If May had been as straightforward we wouldn't have wasted three years begging for crumbs from the EU table.

Boris is loathed by Remainers because at last someone has taken the bull by the horns. He is a breath of fresh air for Leavers and the UK.

quizqueen Thu 19-Sep-19 19:55:34

The best thing that can happen is that Boris annoys the EU so much that they throw us out on Oct 31st and there will be nothing that the Remainers can do about it.

GillT57 Thu 19-Sep-19 19:55:26

day6 yawn

Day6 Thu 19-Sep-19 19:53:30

Fiddling while the UK burns

Remainers, you mean? That's what they have done for three years - fiddling democracy by any means so we stay in the corrupt EU.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 19:47:35

Well Gill57 thank you for such a pleasant reply. It’s good to talk - we don’t agree, but we CAN ask & respond accordingly.
?

varian Thu 19-Sep-19 17:14:52

I think tomorrow it will be thirty days since BJ promised Angela Merkel that he would present his written proposals in thirty days time. Perhaps that's why this bit of paper has been sent.