Gransnet forums

News & politics

AI is it a Pandora's box

(19 Posts)
absthame Sat 21-Sep-19 14:02:24

40 years ago I introduced the first microcomputers into public services against strong resistance from many in the computer industry. Since then I have seen and worked with all that has evolved.

The only development that has perturbed me is AI and all of its implications. The USA is developing drones that will be autonomous; that is they will determine what is a threat, follow it and if it considers it appropriate will eliminate it.

I know that AI offers a great deal in problem solving, but in my opinion its disadvantages and risks outway these advantages.

Elegran Sat 21-Sep-19 14:38:22

It is all rather reminiscent of science fiction stories about robots who are so well programmed to resist interference that they can't be stopped from annihilating any human who interacts with them. The film Westworld comes to mind, too.

Perhaps all drones should be compliant with Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

absthame Sat 21-Sep-19 21:59:51

I agree Elegran, however the military in th USA, or Israel or Korea or Iran or China or some other nation that megalomaniacs control or determine military strategy will choose to ignore, amend or stimey them.

Happiyogi Sat 21-Sep-19 23:54:02

I would feel more comfortable with the idea of humans deploying robots if we had evolved to a higher degree of sophistication, maturity and decency. As things stand, the whole concept is chilling.

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 00:56:43

Read the book by Dean Koontz called The Demon Seed. It was also a film. AI gives me the creeps , watched a film the other night called Morgan. That film alone would put you off AI for life. Think of all the jobs AI is going to do away with. It concerns me what people will do for work and its bad enough with automation as it is. Go onto YouTube and do a search for AI , the stuff on there is pretty scary. Alot of this will be weaponry for the future, no doubt about it.

Willow500 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:45:15

I worked indirectly for IBM Watson in the last 18 months of work before retiring and they are developing AI in the medical world using global analytical data from all spheres of medicine. The hope is that at some point (and it is already being used to some degree) a diagnosis will take far less time than the current route and be more accurate. Doctors and clinicians will have data at their fingertips with proven results to draw upon. It's a fascinating as well as a wonderful use of AI. This is a short video of one aspect www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPXCF5e1_HI

The other areas of AI are scary though.

Elegran Sun 22-Sep-19 09:03:12

Man is a tool-user, and AI is a tool, albeit a far more sophisticated one than most. The motives and degree of control that go with its use depend on the users. The question is, can we trust those users?

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:10:45

I lived on a dairy farm for years. AI means something quite different to me?.
Without the cows AI is scary!

You must have been a very important person absthame.

AllTheLs Sun 22-Sep-19 09:34:48

I might be being naive but I don't think we, in our lifetime, have much to worry about.

I did an MSc in Information Science nearly twenty years ago and there was a lot of talk then about AI taking over in a few years. It still hasn't happened.

Then there was the trouble of the drone at Heathrow airport last year. If we haven't got technology capable of tracking down and incapacitating a measly drone, then we certainly haven't got the scary AI capability people are worrying about.

Elegran Sun 22-Sep-19 10:18:32

Artificial Intelligence may not be taking over, but the use of it in some situations is still worrying.

War and terrorism has developed over the centuries hand-in-hand with whatever the latest advance in technology. We have gone from hurling a stone at an enemy from another tribe, through firing a wooden arrow from a bow, then throwing a sharpened bronze spear, then fire-hardened swords, then using gunpowder to speed up the flight of the missile, larger and larger explosions, Guy Fawkes stacking many barrels of gunpowder below the HoP, automatic weapons, armoured tanks, airborne bombs. Always the power and fatality increases, the delivery gets more efficiencient, the aggressor moves further and further from the danger of being personally involved.

Drones can deliver explosives or spray poisons remotely without risking the life of an operator. Spy devices can gather intelligence from miles up in the air. A whole war could be fought by Artificial Intelligence - information received by sensors, interpreted as potentially damaging, an attack triggered to neutralise the threat, carried out by unmanned craft travelling unseen to the heart of enemy territory and sending back evidence as they go. In return the attack could be detected by sensors and retaliation initiated by the same means.

The victims would be those who had nothing to do with setting up the AI systems - apart from allowing them to be legally installed (without realising exactly how they would operate) A gift to unscrupulous would-be world dominators capable of tweaking the system to their advantage! They might get a severely damaged world, but hey! they'd be top dog!

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:21:59

AI has the ability to make all our lives much better but if not controlled responsibly make our lives much worse.

In terms of travel, it is already making that aspect of living much safer. My current car has artificial intelligence enabled forward collision control and lane change security. By 2021 vehicles will be on our roads that will be completely autonomous which will have the ability to change the way we even think of travel.

Of course, in the world of work, we are already witnessing many jobs being taken over by AI and that could have consequences for the stability of this nation and indeed the world.

However, i do not believe that the progress of AI can or should be stopped. That stated, the widespread redistribution of the enormous profits that will come from this technology will be the largest single factor for all our futures.

Davidhs Sun 22-Sep-19 10:32:08

Artificial Intelligence does not exist - yet, all the so called robots are just complex computer programs, they do not have any power of reasoning. Someone has told the machine what to do, a simple form of education if you like, compared to the human body they are primitive.
I’m watching the rugby at present, imagine programming 30plus robots to play a game interacting with each other.

polnan Sun 22-Sep-19 11:00:25

worries me, I often wonder about reincarnation, so thinking, on the one hand, I am not likely to see this come to fruition, but then.... if I return..... argh! I don`t like it... humans misuse most every good thing we have invented or discovered.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Sep-19 12:06:44

I remember when AI meant Artificial Insemination - not quite as exciting as the modern version.

Many great TED talks on the subject btw if you are genuinely interested. Artificial Intellience that is, not Artificial Insemination, although you never know....smile

Has anyone seen 'Marjorie Prime' - it exactly describes the sort of robot I would love.
Someone with whom to discuss interesting things, who will remember for me and keep me company without making any demands. Alexa just doesn't cut it yet.

The only thing I'd change is appearance. Instead of having a young whipper-snapper half my age, I'd want a big, bearded bloke of mature years, with a hearty laugh.

Happiyogi Sun 22-Sep-19 14:40:55

Elegran, you describe exactly how our relationship with tools has always been. We were in control of them, and chose whether to use them for good or evil. The territory we're moving in to is one where the tools themselves will have the potential to act autonomously and that is terrifying.

HettyMaud Sun 22-Sep-19 16:05:18

The future is terrifying. I'm scared stiff for my descendants.

absthame Sun 22-Sep-19 17:04:33

No [PamelaJ1] I was not important, simply an engineer employed to solve and analyze problems. I simply came up with a novel, at that time, solution to a series of problems

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 01:49:49

PamelaJ1
I much prefer A2 milk.

rosecarmel Mon 23-Sep-19 03:22:16

A2 milk is awesome-

My views on tech have been strongly influenced by my late husband who worked in the industry for 1/4 century- He too had reservations- What the OP wrote is unsettling - My mind went to Hiroshima and Nagasaki-