Gransnet forums

News & politics

Here we go again!

(18 Posts)
jura2 Wed 02-Oct-19 21:38:01

lemongrove, imagine you ask for time off for a wedding- and it is accepted. But you take the time off, and decide not to get married- and then a month later, ask for time off again, to get married ...I think your boss would be very much entitled to say 'No, you were given time- you chose to waste it- tough'

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 21:33:33

This might be an appropriate place for this article:

"Which MPs are responsible for failing to ‘get Brexit done’?"

Opposition parties, including Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the SNP, consistently voted against the deal (with the exception of a small handful of Labour supporters)

It is these members at whom the Prime Minister primarily vents his anger.

But it is not normally the role of opposition parties to deliver the government its policy.

The British opposition emerged to ‘oppose the government, to criticize it, and to seek to replace it’, not to facilitate its survival.

Instead, the key players in delivering government policy are, to state the obvious, government backbenchers.

ukandeu.ac.uk/which-mps-are-responsible-for-failing-to-get-brexit-done/

Meg Russell is Professor of British and Comparative Politics at University College London and Director of the Constitution Unit.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 20:57:48

It certainly is - as the courts showed.

NanKate Wed 02-Oct-19 20:07:13

I like your description Urm ‘plotters and thwarters’ very apt. ?

tanith Wed 02-Oct-19 19:28:19

The worlds gone mad ???

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 19:25:44

Well if the plotters and thwarters want a vote of no confidence they’d better get their act together by Monday.

Will they though?

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 19:18:37

Exactly varian

varian Wed 02-Oct-19 19:08:21

The Queen's Speech sets out the government's programme, but this government cannot possibly put forward any programme unless we know the outcome of brexit.

Our fiscal policy and spending regime could be -

- some scope for inverstment in public services if we are to remain in the EU (but not as much as we would have had without any of this brexit nonsense which we have already wasted £billions on - or-

- great difficulty in keeping our heads above water if we leave the EU with a deal - or-

- huge loss of funds, loss of confidence, loss of businesses, loss of employment, loss of tax revenues, loss of international reputation as a reliable trading partner, etc, etc - in other words a disastrous recession leading to huge cutbacks in public spending if we leave the EU with no deal

Until we know which of these scenarios will ensue, there is absolutely no point in putting forward a Queen's Speech.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 19:07:20

For the Queen’s speech. It’s well overdue.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 18:30:13

It’s probably worth thinking more about not lying to the Queen, the country and Parliament - but then I’m not a Tory.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 18:28:31

Remind me what the last prorogue was for again? hmm

lemongrove Wed 02-Oct-19 18:28:24

If this three day suspension is turned down, it will mean that any Party in the future, that wants to use the few days for preparation for the Queens Speech ( as tradition allows) will also be turned down. That surely needs a lot of thinking about.

jura2 Wed 02-Oct-19 18:05:06

oh yes, sure, the Queen's speech - pull the other one Annie FGS

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 17:53:51

The Queens speech

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 17:46:53

No, this would be to shut down parliamentary democracy as before - and as before they will be stopped.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Oct-19 17:39:48

Would this be to enable the Queen’s speech?

petra Wed 02-Oct-19 17:26:01

I'm sure Gina has it all in hand.

growstuff Wed 02-Oct-19 17:16:16

The government intends to prorogue Parliament again from next Tuesday.