Gransnet forums

News & politics

Commuters Fight Back

(153 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Oct-19 08:31:37

XR have targeted the tube in London this morning, DLR at Canning Town and Shadwell.

They want people to use public transport not cars..........so they target public transport stopping law abiding citizens getting to work.

I think this action has lost them support from the general public.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 09:32:46

And a very pretty name it is too PINKquarz smile

I WILL get it into my silly head.

Pink Pink Pink

crystaltipps Fri 18-Oct-19 08:08:39

We are complicit in the pollution made by other countries. Buying plastic tat ( all that Halloween stuff for starters) The carbon footprint of a person in the USA is 52 times higher than a Kenyan.

Phoebes Fri 18-Oct-19 07:38:34

I think that, in this country, on the whole, we are all aware of climate change and trying our best to do what we can to improve the situation in our own small way.
It is the huge manufacturing and exporting countries in the Far East and elsewhere, like China. that should be targeted, but XR wouldn’t last two minutes if they tried to protest over there, they would be rounded up and jailed or even shot.
We are a soft target for these protests, but they are preaching to the converted and are only succeeding in alienating ordinary people.
We should boycott products coming from these countries and try to avoid buying cheap plastic tat and man-made fibres, wherever possible.

crystaltipps Fri 18-Oct-19 06:34:59

XR is a grass roots organisation and you cannot condemn all its many thousands of supporters as idiots who don’t know how the other half live. The half dozen or so who targeted the train have been rightly criticised by the movement itself. Hundreds of peaceful non violent protesters who hand out leaflets or who live low impact personal lives do not make the headlines . The vast majority of the protests are not “useless” and have drawn attention to the problems caused by big businesses and government who are not taking a long term view. This is what needs to be done - governments need to tell the truth- species are dying, rivers and oceans are polluted , individuals recycling a few plastic bags and riding a bike is not enough.

pinkquartz Fri 18-Oct-19 00:31:06

gonegirl
yes challenge is passed but I am still pinkquartz and not the mysterious rosequarts you are clearly obsessed with wink

I like your replies. I felt I had to stand up for myself. it is really hard to work out how one is coming across on here... and I wanted to be clear that I care very much and have done since I was fifteen.

I am also happy to have your life story.....I am also a non driver...I used to ride a bike and also walk miles and miles... I envy you a self built house in another life I would have tried to do that.

peace

Saetana Thu 17-Oct-19 23:58:35

The useless waste of space who call themselves "Extinction Rebellion" have NO clue about how the other half lives, and of course NO sense of irony about their own excessive consumption of resources (far more than most of us). As I understand it, public tranpsport should be encouraged rather than everyone driving to work. The DLR (docklands light railway) is ELECTRIC so why on earth are this useless shower trying to glue themselves to the top of the trains? You would have to be living in a cave to have no awareness of the current climate emergency - so why are these idiots trying to "remind" people over and over again? We aren't morons - kudos to the ordinary workers who pulled these idiots off the top of the tube trains they had decided to stick themselves to. Apparently a load of "celebs" have signed a letter admitting to their own massive consumption of resources and, yes, admitting this was unlikely to change! You can't make this shit up! If everyone started at home with changes to help with climate change, it would have a big effect. These useless protesters are causing more pollution by their actions - whilst expecting everyone else to make sacrifices! Put your money where your mouth is XR - be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:56:35

There did used to be a rosequarz. Did a search and found a thread she was on. Who wouldn't get confused? moon

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:44:37

Its pinkquarz. Isn't it? confused

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:42:42

I haven't a clue! I don't mean to be outing anyone. Which isher name? I'm sure there used to be a rosequarz on GN and I think that must be what is confusing me.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Oct-19 22:37:01

Gonegirl why do you insist on saying rosequartz when you have been told it’s pinkquartz?

Are you outing someone?

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:36:54

Not 'alf.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 22:34:58

Cos I'm "woke" gonegirl
wink

Urmstongran Thu 17-Oct-19 22:34:38

I heard that MissA and was heartened. Yes, drag them off the train but then, drag them off the platform - don’t stick the boot in! Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:32:53

How do you find these things MissAdventure? confused

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 22:30:33

www.velonews.com/2013/03/news/must-read-cycling-is-bad-for-the-environment_276724

I'm a real ray of sunshine, environmentally speaking. grin

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:17:51

?

Oopsminty Thu 17-Oct-19 22:10:46

Never driven a car. Rode a bike all my life.

Ditto!

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:10:10

Have I passed the challenge rosequarz?

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 22:06:41

Quite right too.

MawB Thu 17-Oct-19 22:03:03

A tweet from ASLEF on Twitter today

“Dear Extinction Rebellion,
The Tube & all modes of public transport are part of the solution to climate change, not the problem.
Can we kindly suggest you stick to protesting against those who create the problem. Not our industry, members + hard working commuters”

Many thanks.
@ASLEF

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 21:56:55

Used to grow my own veg. Until I discovered the supermarkets did it better.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 21:49:05

Do you want anymore of my life story? grin

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 21:47:33

Live in the same house we built 50 odd years ago.

Camping/caravan hols around England/Scotland/Wales until last eight years when daughter decided to drag me onto the odd aeroplane (short haul only).

Don't cheer GS on. He thinks I thoroughly disapprove of his doings.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 21:43:55

Done endless "school runs" with a child perched on back of bike.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 21:42:30

Only governments can make a real difference pinkquarz.

Not just jumped on any bandwagon. Never driven a car. Rode a bike all my life. Used the same old cloth shopping bag since long before plastic bags were frowned upon.

Sorry about name. Dunno where the pink came from. confused