Gransnet forums

News & politics

Juncker rules out Brexit extension

(53 Posts)
AllTheLs Thu 17-Oct-19 14:36:30

If this is true, then THANK GOODNESS!!

It just might all be over and done with by 31st October, despite Parliament's best efforts to undermine their constituents' votes.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 14:57:01

Looking hopeful now that MP’s will vote for the new deal...
Fingers and toes crossed.?

varian Sun 20-Oct-19 14:51:35

Sheffield constituents offer absent MP a lift to parliament for Johnson deal vote

Constituents of a disgraced MP have taken to social media to express concern that their representative might not show up to cast a crucial vote in parliament on Boris Johnson's withdrawal agreement.

Former Labour MP Jared O'Mara has missed a number of key Brexit votes this year, including the September vote that saw the Benn Act passed.

O'Mara, the independent MP for Sheffield Hallam, has had a difficult year which led to him announcing he would resign from the Commons in September, a plan he later postponed.

One Sheffielder said on Twitter, in response to a call to get MPs to back the PM's deal: "I would if we had an MP (Jared O'Mara) who actually goes to the HoC and actually bothers voting!"

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/will-jared-o-mara-vote-for-boris-johnson-deal-1-6330856

Opal Sun 20-Oct-19 13:14:53

No I haven't spoken personally to every single one of them growstuff, but neither has varian. It's all about opinions, isn't it, as you well know. And for the record, I think BJ is playing an absolute blinder, the trickery so far has all come from the pro-EU side, i.e. Gina Miller, Oliver Letwin et al.

growstuff Sun 20-Oct-19 00:34:07

Hopefully, Tusk will treat Johnson's childish trick with the contempt it deserves.

growstuff Sun 20-Oct-19 00:19:08

Maybe the other two letters will get lost in the post hmm

MotherHubbard Sat 19-Oct-19 22:14:50

Donald Tusk has received the request for an extension letter.

growstuff Sat 19-Oct-19 21:28:38

How do you know Opal? I doubt whether you've personally spoken to every single one of them and wouldn't know if they were being truthful anyway.

The best anybody can do is look at the evidence from numerous polls and be aware of the actual question(s) being asked and the context. The evidence would seem to indicate that a majority would rather remain in the EU given the other options.

I haven't seen one single reliable poll which shows that the majority would choose to leave without an agreement, which is what Johnson's current "deal" means, although he (and his media supporters) have tried to cover up the implications.

varian Sat 19-Oct-19 21:27:26

It is interesting to see how sure the leavers are because they ignore the evidence

Opal Sat 19-Oct-19 20:59:34

No varian, they really don't.

varian Sat 19-Oct-19 19:44:41

British people want to stop brexit

www.businessinsider.com/poll-brits-prefer-scrap-brexit-than-accept-boris-johnson-deal-2019-10

GracesGranMK3 Fri 18-Oct-19 22:24:35

I'm sure the last time I hear someone called a "know-it-all" I was in junior school. Maybe we should suggest that GNHQ check ID to be sure no one is under agehmm

Calendargirl Fri 18-Oct-19 15:52:21

We’ve just had a seven month extension. If the EU grant another one, they need their heads examining.
Mind you, we need ours examining if we ask for one.
What will it achieve?

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 15:46:04

Yes, I read that about Macron. He has said this before mind you.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:45:09

*has not is

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:44:52

Macron is now stated that France will veto another extension.

(source euronews Twitter)

varian Fri 18-Oct-19 15:33:40

I hope there will be a People's Vote with a choice between this deal and Remain.

However although there are 50 million people in this country who did not vote leave in 2016 and over 300 opinion polls have consistently shown a majority for Remain, I am not confident about the result.

Everyone is sick to the back teeth of brexit and wants politicians to concentrate on other things, but a worrying number of folk seem to think that "get brexit done' means finishing it rather than just starting on the next interminable phase.

On top of that we have been subjected to a party political broadcast delivered by the queen, a £100 million propaganda campaign paid for by taxpayers and the continuing partisan rubbish from the right wing press and the BBC.

I've lost count of the number of vox pop reports I've seen, always involving folk in a leave voting area who say "We voted leave. We want out. It's quite simple". The point is it is not simple. It is very complicated but you never hear the reporter from the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation point that out.

Then there are the issues we had in 2016 of foreign interference, fake news, illegal overspending, data mining by Cambridge Analytica and others to influence ordinary folk to vote against their own interests and the appalling inflammatory language used to cause unrest.

It is not easy to be confident that the truth could break through but I hope it does. We can but hope.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Oct-19 15:20:04

varian are you related to the Remainer turnip with the loudhailer outside the HoC by any chance!

Urmstongran Fri 18-Oct-19 15:17:55

I don’t think there’ll ever be a second referendum. It takes 6+ months to organise one and no-one can even agree on what the question(s) should be on the ballot paper!

Jane43 Fri 18-Oct-19 14:32:12

I agree with you to an extent Varian but we can’t ignore the result of the 2016 Referendum. If another one is held and the result is still to leave. What next? If the result is to Remain then those who voted to leave will feel cheated and it could cause civil unrest. If we have an election then the parties will have to put their stance on Brexit in their manifestos (however from experience we know that they may not stick to it) so if there is a majority for a party supporting Brexit or a coalition of parties supporting Brexit then it can’t be stopped. If a party supporting remain or a coalition of parties supporting remain win that is the only way Brexit can be stopped and since the support for Labour has plummeted due to their appallingly unclear stance on Brexit which seems to change from day to day and differ depending on who is talking about it then I can’t see this happening even if they do support remain in their manifesto. It pains me to say this because I have voted Labour since I was 21.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Oct-19 14:27:32

We pay £280 million a week after rebate.

MaizieD Fri 18-Oct-19 14:21:15

We don't, and never have, paid £350 million a week to the EU.

Jeez, you Leavers swallow the lies just like sweeties.

Lyndiloo Fri 18-Oct-19 14:11:05

I saw an 'expert' on TV the other day say that we would still be paying our £350m per week to the EU 'for the foreseeable future'. No mention of this since. Did anyone else see this? And is it true?

varian Fri 18-Oct-19 14:02:09

The only way to stop this Groundhog Day nonsense is to STOP BREXIT.

If the deal is voted through it will be followed by another 10,000 Groundhog Days and very few Gnetters will live to see the end of it.

Jane43 Fri 18-Oct-19 13:18:37

Of course they will give us an extension if the deal isn’t voted through. I don’t know or understand the complex details of the deal but judging from the delight of the EU heads of state it must be a very good deal for the EU, that’s why they want to do all they can to help Boris get it voted through. They played to Boris’s vanity by treating him like a hero when he did his lap of victory, there was no real affection there, just self interest.

I just hope the British public are never given another referendum in my lifetime, especially over issues that are so complex that even experts cannot agree on them. The money that has been wasted on Brexit over the last three and a half years is appalling and enough is enough. We voted remain but I would like the deal to be voted through so that we can stop this Groundhog Day nonsense and appalling self interest by many MPs.

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 21:08:47

BTW If Johnson is accepting some aspects of workers' rights, which ones doesn't he accept?

I'm sure those who support Brexit know all the answers, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to reply.