Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory election not going well is it?

(170 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Nov-19 08:33:03

Just that

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 08:07:31

I can't say I'm that bothered about Rees-Mogg. The Conservatives seem to have enough liars and acolytes to take his place. I'm more concerned about the lies they churn out on a daily basis.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:01:07

Anyone seen Mogg lately?.

His car is well and truly written off

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 07:48:45

Sadly, I'm not sure the public (whoever they are) cares.

SirChenjin Thu 21-Nov-19 07:38:02

The setting - a cattle shed with the noise and resulting excrement - seemed fitting for Gove’s poor attempt at justifying their reasons for duping the public. He didn’t do a very good job, did he.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:31:01

The latest Tory car crash. This time with Gove in the driving seat.
Dr Lauren Gavaghan
@DancingTheMind
·
21m
If you’ve not watched this interview by
@C4Ciaran
- watch it.

It is brilliant. The juxtaposition of
@michael_gove
spluttering nonsense & getting lost in his own words against Ciaran’s ultra-calm & forensic questioning is a thing of beauty.

Channel 4 News
@Channel4News
· 14h
You can watch the full interview with Michael Gove here: youtu.be/NO2zT9-B2X4

GracesGranMK3 Sat 16-Nov-19 17:46:23

I quite liked it SirChenjin

MaizieD Sat 16-Nov-19 17:27:25

I'm afraid it suggests 'boring' to me...

SirChenjin Sat 16-Nov-19 17:20:49

Only if you put the emphasis on the second syllable

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 17:15:38

It sounds like someone who makes lattes SirC cafe

SirChenjin Sat 16-Nov-19 17:09:33

GGMk3 - Borista seems more appropriate somehow

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 17:03:31

Urmston Obama seemed to have it all didn’t he, but really wasn’t all that liked it seems.I think many voters felt disappointed in him somehow.

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 17:01:01

I never respond to posts made by GGM3.....

GracesGranMK3 Sat 16-Nov-19 16:50:27

You do feel the need to defend this man don't you Lemongrove? Does this make you a 'Johnsonista' or perhaps a 'Borista'?

I should be careful or you will have one person constantly calling you such things. We've all seen that happen on GN.

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 16:39:00

Farage says there were ‘hints’ of being offered a peerage, a hint isn’t a bald statement, so impossible to prove.

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 16:35:35

Yes, Amagram I agree with much of what you say, which is why it amused/surprised me that a couple of posters on here took such issue with mopping/ knowing rhymes.

That ‘relatable’ comment was just weird.I don’t relate to BJ or JC or any leader of any political party, male or female.Who does?

Urmstongran Sat 16-Nov-19 16:22:00

Many people (me included) could listen to Obama for hours. He is a wonderful orator.

That said, an awful lot of Americans thought he was a crap President.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 15:20:29

Just watching a programme about Obama.

Blimey how low we have fallen in our politicians and their rhetoric.

It is frightening

Ginny42 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:54:06

WWM2 both citations are pertinent, thank you. Sarah Wollaston's is shocking, if true. Members of the Brexit Party offered peerages and jobs to stand down?

The police are investigating, whilst Johnson says it's nonsense, so it's probably true.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/16/police-assessing-claims-that-tories-offered-peerages-to-brexit-party

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:21:27

Interesting to follow this

Paul Brand
@PaulBrandITV

? Met Police say they are looking into two allegations of “electoral fraud and malpractice" regarding offers from the Conservatives to Brexit Party candidates to incentivise them to stand down ?

Several Brexit Party figures claim they were offered inducements. Tories deny.
onathan Lis
@jonlis1

Watch this closely. It may be one of those stories, like phone-hacking, which initially most in the mainstream dismiss and then suddenly become explosive and uncontainable. If the Tories are guilty of what they’ve been accused of it could not be more serious for them

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:09:24

mary beard
@wmarybeard
When a guy who wants to build a bridge between Britain and Ireland calls a universal broadband scheme “crazed”, it is hard to know what his standards of “sanity” are.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:07:54

Corruption at the highest level.

What sort of state are we becoming?

dr Sarah Wollaston
@sarahwollaston

Inducements are illegal in our electoral system. Brexit Party members have made clear allegations that peerages & jobs were offered in return for standing down & that conversations took place with senior figures in No10. If true, we are sliding towards a corrupt State.

Amagran Sat 16-Nov-19 13:57:53

You are right Lemongrove, it really doesn't matter whether or not a PM can use a mop (their toxic side-kicks or the Civil Service usually get left with clearing up their messes, anyway).

However, it does matter that they should have some, any, positive talent which is relevant to holding the highest elected office in the land. I would exclude buffoonery, smutty and offensive insults, mendacity, reckless procreation and zip-wire hanging from any list of positive talents.

Strong leader and gumption to make a decision are not in themselves positive qualities, as Urmstongran seems to suggest, unless qualifying adjectives are applied, such as 'good' 'well-informed', 'appropriate' etc. After all, we wouldn't want a leader to lead us strongly and decisively over the edge of a cliff, would we?

Urmstongran Sat 16-Nov-19 13:11:52

I think the general public (most) just want a strong LEADER. Someone who has the gumption to make a decision! With a majority government to follow through .... that’s the hard part right now!

Pantglas2 Sat 16-Nov-19 12:13:56

I don’t think he’s the right person to lead the party given his potty mouth but I don’t understand this need to be ‘relatable’.

I’m not sure any PM in my lifetime has had anything in common with me personally (apart from Thatcher and May being female) - why is that important?

SirChenjin Sat 16-Nov-19 10:03:36

I agree Maizie. I also think that his shouty, finger jabbing approach to anyone who disagrees with him is a behaviour that’s increasingly prevalent and no doubt resonates with many.