Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn

(255 Posts)
Firecracker123 Wed 06-Nov-19 08:44:41

Corbyn last year
"Shamina Begun should be allowed to return to the UK. She was only a 16 year old immature child when she joined ISIS she cannot be held accountable for her actions at such a young age"

Corbyn last week
"We the people demand 16 year olds be given the vote in the UK, they are responsible and free thinking young adults"

The Brexiteer

trisher Mon 18-Nov-19 22:57:15

Incidently the JRM interview is quite funny
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dVqmCh_Jc

trisher Mon 18-Nov-19 22:54:18

I Googled it Oopsminty I found a lot of interviews including him talking to Jacob Rees Mogg, arguing with Andrew Neil and other people. The only instance I could find of him walking out was on Sky News when after the Orlando shootings in a gay nightclub the interviewer refused to recognise the incident as a hate crime against the LGBTQ community, which given is sexuality I thought was justified.

Grany Mon 18-Nov-19 21:26:45

He says what's to be said gets his point across very clearly articulately you can't argue with that.

Oopsminty Mon 18-Nov-19 20:49:00

Trisher. He's rude and obnoxious if you dare to disagree with him. Very intolerant.

He's stormed out of interviews

Just Google. It's so easy to do

trisher Mon 18-Nov-19 20:45:51

Whenever people start saying "I would tell you but it wouldn't do any good," I automatically think they really have no argument but they don't want to admitt it.

varian Mon 18-Nov-19 19:38:33

In a funny way Maizie I do understand, and even identify with Owen Jones because I am convinced that a vote for the Liberal Democrats is the best way any of us can help our country, just as Owen thinks we should vote Labour.

Some of his comments I can agree with, but others not. I could list them but I am not sure it would make any difference to those who have already committed to supporting the LP come what may.

MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 19:30:21

Would you like to point out what was 'unobjective' about anything Jones said in that clip, varian?

I've read some of the comments, too, and some people point out that Corbyn might not have been whiter than white on occasion but is anybody ever 'right' 100% of the time? (before the whataboutery starts)

varian Mon 18-Nov-19 19:22:19

Owen Jones is a good journalist and a fervent supporter of Jeremy Corbyn.

Now and then he is invited by the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation to give some sort of obvious balance to their usual panel of brexitories. But unfortunately he goes over the top in his slavish defense of Corbyn.

It is probably good that there is a mainstream journalist to fulfill this role but unfortunately Owen Jones has no objectivity at all. It is just a case of Corbyn (and his close clique) good, all other politicians bad.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 18-Nov-19 19:00:55

In what way Oopsminty?

trisher Mon 18-Nov-19 17:48:56

Is he Oopsminty can you give me details of when he has been rude please? He always sems to me to be remarkably calm and polite even when he is attacked by right wingers he seems to maintain his cool. Quite often the attacks are personal like criticising him because he looks too young.

Oopsminty Mon 18-Nov-19 16:15:45

Owen Jones? Dreadful man. He's so rude!

pinkquartz Mon 18-Nov-19 16:11:25

I am anti Tory and afraid of Labour. Also do not like or trust Lib Dem.

An attack on the Tories does help me to feel any better about Corbyn.

Grany Mon 18-Nov-19 15:59:50

You're welcome GracesGranMK3 And Trisher

GracesGranMK3 Mon 18-Nov-19 10:36:55

Which includes me trisher. Although there are those who it suits to described me differently I am still questioning and trying to understand.

trisher Mon 18-Nov-19 10:20:54

Thanks Granya wonderful answer to those who constantly question Corbyn and doubt his patriotism.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 18-Nov-19 10:00:42

Thank you Grany.

Grany Mon 18-Nov-19 08:46:53

This is an astonishing attack on the Tories and a quite brilliant defence of Jeremy Corbyn. Probably the best thing you will watch today. #GE2019

twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1196347324190076928?s=20

Urmstongran Sun 17-Nov-19 16:05:43

Probably after Labour! ‘After you, I insist old chap ...’
?

GracesGranMK3 Sun 17-Nov-19 15:29:27

Does anyone know when the ERG Tories are publishing their manifesto?

GracesGranMK3 Sun 17-Nov-19 15:28:53

he is too vague and many of his promises sound good but now I am older I would know that they are not feasible.

Pinkquartz I think the LP manifesto is out on Thursday. They only met to decide yesterday. Perhaps it will be clearer for you once it is out.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:52:52

The commitment made by Labour is to provide an "open access" internet which can be used in exactly the same way it is now, by any company wanting to provide services. There are many places in the world were this happens. Australia, much-beloved by Torie's for its points system for immigration is one, though, just like the points system you will find criticism of it in the country itself.

This is not a new idea. The government builds roads but we choose our cars and where we are going. On a smaller scale, in a block of flats, a service company may charge for providing the basic services for all. How, I wonder, does that differ from paying tax for basic services to be provided?

pinkquartz Sun 17-Nov-19 14:41:52

trsisher

well the re-nationalization of everything.
I would love the Railways and Water and Utilities to be back in State control but he has gone too far talking about State Broadband

Sorry have to go back later

GracesGranMK3 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:18:21

One of my daughters is considering voting Labour because at this stage in the campaign the LP look best placed to beat her dreadful Brexitory MP. However that does not mean she endorses all LP policies or thinks Corbyn is fit to be PM.

It could also be true that many others are voting for the overall policies of the party they choose but not, necessarily their views on Brexit. Many people did not vote in the Brexit referendum or have got fed up with it all since. It's quite ridiculous to see this as a GE just for Brexit and, if it isn't, it cannot be for such a binary decision at all. I was shocked that the Liberals moved away from a confirmatory referendum but I suppose they think it will get them the most seats.

trisher Sun 17-Nov-19 13:38:39

pinkquartz I don't think anyone has suggested that the Jews should give up Israel. It has been suggested that they should stop expanding into Palestinian territory and withdraw to the 1967 boundaries as UN resolution 242 requested.
Woud you like to explain why the LP policies are not feasible? They are properly costed.

pinkquartz Sun 17-Nov-19 13:08:25

I will never vote right wing, but Corbyn scares me.
he is too vague and many of his promises sound good but now I am older I would know that they are not feasible.

A young pinkquartz would have voted Labour.
A middle-aged pinkquartz would have voted Green. But according to them I am a "non man" so that's out.

Am thinking I can only spoil the Ballot paper.