Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you feel politically homeless?

(135 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 06-Nov-19 13:49:13

The news that Dr. Bendor Grosvenor, the art historian, has withdrawn his support from the Conservative party has got me thinking.

I wonder about how people are affected when they have become disenchanted with parties they have supported assiduously in the past.

My parents-in-law were lifelong supporters of the LibDems (previously Liberals), but they tore up their membership cards when they joined forces with the Conservatives. I also have a dear friend who has been a very active lifelong Conservative party member and even an Agent for many years. I know he has struggled with recent events and I don't yet know whether he has jumped ship, as I suspected he might do, but there must be a huge personal cost to someone in giving up on a political party they have been so invested in.

How do you choose who to vote for when the party you've believed in no longer seems like the party you joined? Do you feel you've been betrayed? How do you find a new political home?

nanna8 Wed 04-Aug-21 02:21:29

Yes agree about the vaccine rollout - it is very,very slow here. Don’t agree about the rest of it. Sadly, too many people have died because of government complacency. You are not alone in that but certainly no better than anyone else. I have relatives over there still and I looked on with absolute horror at the lack of leadership and the sad deaths that occurred.

Mollygo Tue 03-Aug-21 23:37:52

I agree with your first paragraph Varian and I’d like to see proportional representation, though that only seems popular with a party when it’s not in power. On the other hand PR was how Nigel Farage was elected as an MEP and UKIP supported Brexit.
However voters also know that whatever any new government promises, they will, once elected, claim that they can’t fulfil their manifesto promises because of the mess left by the previous government.
It’s difficult.

varian Tue 03-Aug-21 17:11:02

Most voters, if they thoroughly examined all the policies of each party (which hardly anyone ever does) would find a mixture of policies they agree with and policies they disagree with.

Because of our undemocratic FPTP voting system we have relatively few parties compared with democracies where voters have a real choice of voting for their chosen party without any fear of their vote being wasted.

Until such time that the UK introduces proportional representation and becomes a democracy (where no party or group of parties can rule without the consent of a majority of voters) then voters here must firstly decide which of the parties is most in line with their views, then decide whether to vote for that party or vote tactically for the candidate in their constituency who appears best placed to defeat the party they hate the most.

Non voters have less right to complain.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 03-Aug-21 14:31:06

I didn'tvote in the last election because I felt there was no-one to vote for. The Green party call women "non-men".

PippaZ Tue 03-Aug-21 10:22:28

Latest Voting Intentions 2 August 2022

Mollygo Tue 03-Aug-21 10:20:40

nanna8

Sailed through it ? Huh. How many died? We watch you so we know what not to do !

Hmm OK, so what about watching how the vaccine should be rolled out. My Oz friends are less than impressed with their country’s performance on that. For example, vaccinations are lowest in Sydney suburbs with highest number of cases.

Polarbear2 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:51:54

It’s not easy but I guess you choose the best Candidate for your values. I’ve thought for a long time that ballot papers should always include a box for “none of the above”. It’d be quite a scene if the “none...” won in lots of seats. ???

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:45:50

nanna8

Sailed through it ? Huh. How many died? We watch you so we know what not to do !

Perhaps the Australian government should watch us for tips on how to run a vaccine program.

kwest Tue 03-Aug-21 09:39:28

Yes I do feel politically homeless. The callous plans to let us older people die in the pandemic suits them in so many ways. Cost being a major one. Pensions, care etc. It would seem from their perspective that if they could get a large proportion of us killed off in a pandemic by withholding care and medication then for them it is a win win situation.
The triple lock, our meagre saving make virtually no interest, we have the worst pensions in Europe, we have worked for our pensions but we are being unfair to the young who will have to carry the cost. They too will get old and a new generation of young will have to carry their costs. Who plundered our pension contributions in the first place?
Finally MPs have awarded themselves another huge rise while public sector workers are having tiny increases or else getting their wages frozen. They all seem to be as bad as each other when they get into power so No I don't trust them anymore and Yes I feel politically homeless

Rabbitgran Tue 03-Aug-21 03:47:57

No I am not politically homeless. Fortunately the Labour party still exists as the party of compassion and moral choice It is not perfect but certainly the lesser of human folly and evils. People who are moaning that they are politically homeless need to join their party of choice and change it for the better.

nanna8 Tue 03-Aug-21 02:04:05

Elvis58 Mon 02-Aug-21 23:51:24

I would not waste my shoe leather on any of them at the moment!

grammargran Mon 02-Aug-21 23:28:37

sazz1

I'm with Boris all the way. He's done his best to please everyone during this pandemic and our vaccine rollout is the envy of the world. TBF no other PM has done any better anywhere in the world as this has been new territory for every country. Some countries have had stricter lockdowns, less government support, overwhelmed hospitals etc but we have sailed through it. He didn't get everything right but tries to right mistakes hence several u turns.
If you know of a country leader who is better please let me know

?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

Granartisan Mon 02-Aug-21 23:14:33

I have wondered for a long time if party politics have outlived there usefulness. Maybe electing individuals to rule as a coalition would be more democratic, instead of politicians having to toe the party line!

Sloegin Mon 02-Aug-21 22:32:11

I've felt politically homeless since moving back to N.ireland 20 years ago. I voted lib dem or Green when living I SW England, and since retiring back here have voted Alliance party or Green in General elections. It's PR in assembly elections but I could never give DUP or Sinn Fein a vote. Too many of our politicians live in the last century with more concern about ' preserving their culture ' than modernising the education system or protecting the NHS. DUP supported Brexit and Boris Johnston and it's been a complete disaster for N.I. They then have the cheek to complain about the protocol, which Boris agreed to. Any more Northern Irish gransnetters out there who feel the same?

annodomini Mon 02-Aug-21 21:34:53

sazzl, to find a better leader than BJ, look to the opposite side of the globe at Jacinda Ardern who has guided New Zealand through the pandemic with intelligence and foresight, second to none. Just ask any Kiwi,

Daftbag1 Mon 02-Aug-21 20:51:53

Is there an election coming up? I most definitely am a severe sufferer of 'electile dysfunction' (I just told my husband that I suffer and he gently tried to explain that only men have 'erectile dysfunction'; I always knew he didn't listen).

The only way I can see that changing is if a massive bomb went off in parliament and our political system and representation changed

Lucca Mon 02-Aug-21 19:15:40

sazz1

I'm with Boris all the way. He's done his best to please everyone during this pandemic and our vaccine rollout is the envy of the world. TBF no other PM has done any better anywhere in the world as this has been new territory for every country. Some countries have had stricter lockdowns, less government support, overwhelmed hospitals etc but we have sailed through it. He didn't get everything right but tries to right mistakes hence several u turns.
If you know of a country leader who is better please let me know

?

varian Mon 02-Aug-21 19:04:30

Electoral reform, indeed wide ranging constitutional reform is sorely needed if this country is ever to become a democracy.

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 18:06:19

SuRu

I think this country desperately needs Electoral Reform - until we get that, only the Tories or Labour have a chance of winning. I would welcome a moderate, Centrist party and with Electoral Reform, it might have a chance of getting somewhere.

I agree

Pedwards Mon 02-Aug-21 17:59:08

My politics have always been left of centre and I have never been wedded to a particular party. We live in an area with a safe Tory seat unfortunately, I have abs will vote again for whichever party is most likely to get them out. Not being a Tory voter I can only guess at what their traditional voter would think of the behaviours of this current lot.

Candelle Mon 02-Aug-21 17:45:07

Yes.

The older I become, the less trusting of politicians I have become.

In the run up to an election, political players will promise and say whatever it is they believe that their listener wants to hear. They then promise they will do x, y and z but of course, never do.

I seem to have developed age-related 'x-rayitis' as I can now see through all the lies (promises) that politicians now make but dread the next election as I will have to vote for someone - the vote was too hard won not to do so.

SuRu Mon 02-Aug-21 17:28:52

I think this country desperately needs Electoral Reform - until we get that, only the Tories or Labour have a chance of winning. I would welcome a moderate, Centrist party and with Electoral Reform, it might have a chance of getting somewhere.

gangy5 Mon 02-Aug-21 17:22:18

I don't want to vote for the Conservative party anymore - having done so all my life. I am weary of them buttering up to 'big business' No policies are pushed through if they are likely to affect the profits of large firms. At the other end of the spectrum are millions of poorly employed workers contributing grist to the mill - in other words, their status being completely ignored whilst they work to keep this country going.

bobbydog24 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:51:05

*sazz1.
Really. *