Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn at the Cenotaph and lays a wreath.

(138 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Sun 10-Nov-19 11:18:54

Not news or politics? Neither was the rubbish we have just seen elsewhere.

MaizieD Sun 10-Nov-19 13:59:15

Good heavens, Annie, surely anyone, with experience of life and awareness of how devastated those people must have felt, even if they themselves were lucky enough not to have experienced a major trauma in their lives, must have felt the pain they were experiencing. That rather trite sounding phrase may not have comforted you particularly in a similar situation, but it is an attempt at expressing empathy and deep sympathy that many people could be grateful for.

maddyone Sun 10-Nov-19 14:32:30

I imagine it was an attempt to show sympathy. It’s actually very difficult to know what to say in the face of such acute pain and loss. I’m not sure any words really help the victims. But this thread is supposed to be about the victims of war, surely we can stay on the subject on this day, Remembrance Day. My family lost two young soldiers on the Somme, and two cousins in the WW2. My father fought in WW2 as did my uncle. It would be respectful to stay on topic. I will repeat, I thought the leaders of all the political parties looked fine and executed their duties very well. It’s what we have every right to expect. They represent us.

MaizieD Sun 10-Nov-19 14:45:17

No, maddyone, this is a thread about Corbyn's attendance at the Cenotaph, not about Remembrance Day. And threads wander.

Opal Sun 10-Nov-19 15:11:19

"Corbyn" and "statesmanlike" don't belong in the same sentence.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 10-Nov-19 15:28:40

"Corbyn" and "statesmanlike" don't belong in the same sentence.

So says the granny who started today's most irrelevant thread. What was it now? Oh yes 'Corbyn misses a concert to visit the people flooded out in the North'

Opal Sun 10-Nov-19 15:34:13

BJ managed to do both!!!!!!!!

varian Sun 10-Nov-19 15:49:06

"Boris Johnson" and "statesmanlike" don't belong in the same sentence.

The most embarrassing and inept Foreign Secretary is now our worst ever Prime Minister.

No wonder we are ridiculed by the rest of the world- even in the USA where they thought they were embarrassed by Trump!

Calendargirl Sun 10-Nov-19 15:52:24

JC looked very smart. Boris can’t help being hunched over, he just is, perhaps he has osteoporosis. Yes, he might have looked better with his coat buttoned up, but was probably more comfy with it loose. As for his hair, that is how he has it, what would we say if he came with it all flat and Brylcreemed?

Anniebach Sun 10-Nov-19 15:53:31

Are we ridiculed by the rest of the world ? This is a fact ?

trisher Sun 10-Nov-19 15:53:57

Boris of course only went to Derbyshire, the Yorkshire floods were much too far North for him.

Dinahmo Sun 10-Nov-19 16:05:58

Funny how the press doesn't ridicule Johnson for his appearance. He is our PM and should look smart. Compare their attitude to the comments over Michael Foot at the Cenotaph and he wasn't the PM.

Opal Sun 10-Nov-19 16:11:32

Oh FFS - "he only went to Derbyshire" - he went to flood victims AND the Festival of Remembrance, Corbyn DID NOT. Stop making stupid excuses. What's next? He's too old, he keeps his own diary, he didn't know the route, he had a flat tyre? Beggars belief.

Anniebach Sun 10-Nov-19 16:14:37

The floods were bad in Derbyshire, one woman drown

grapefruitpip Sun 10-Nov-19 16:14:46

Maybe he didn't want to go . I find a " festival" unfortunate wording.

maddyone Sun 10-Nov-19 16:15:43

The nastiness on this thread is disgusting - towards the politicians.
The leaders, including JC all looked fine, and executed their duties well. What else is there to say? In fact, I think JC looked very smart. BJ not quite as smart, but fine. Why ridicule his hair, or that he is a bit hunched, that’s how he is. Does it matter? Why make every little thing into a chance to be nasty? What’s the matter with some of you? Discuss the politics, like or dislike the politics, that’s robust discussion. Discussing and trying to ridicule either JC or BJ’s physical attributes is childish.

varian Sun 10-Nov-19 16:16:31

Unfortunately BJ also made a gaffe about the timing of laying his wreath. He stepped forwards too soon then had to make an embarrassing shuffle backwards when he realised his mistake. When he stepped out again it seems he managed to lay the wreath the wrong way round.

Everyone else taking part in this important national event looked well rehearsed and did the right thing at the right time but BJ never can be bothered doing his homework -and somehow he always seems to get away with it.

maddyone Sun 10-Nov-19 16:17:57

Yes Opal, ‘he only went to Derbyshire.’

How pathetic and childish can anyone get?

maddyone Sun 10-Nov-19 16:18:39

Grow up Varian, stop looking for it!

varian Sun 10-Nov-19 16:21:15

I am a grown up thank you Mad and I expect my political leaders to be grown up too. Unfortunately our present PM comes nowhere near to the standard we all have every right to expect.

Opal Sun 10-Nov-19 16:24:47

What, and Corbyn does come up to standard varian? Oh, please.

Thanks maddyone.

trisher Sun 10-Nov-19 17:17:26

Opal don't know where you live but even a rudimentary knowledge of UK geography will tell you that the journey from London to Yorkshire takes much longer than London to Derbyshire. As for why Boris didn't go to Doncaster well he has been challenged there

bmacca Sun 10-Nov-19 17:51:09

Some of the comments on here are just vile and I’m sad that mature adults can come out with such vitriol. I expect there will be silence in the media on Johnson's disrespectful sloppiness. After the ceremony he sped off to enjoy his VIP lunch. Meanwhile, Jeremy Corbyn headed from the service to speak at a further tribute in his home borough of Islington, before spending time talking to veterans and families while Johnson hobnobbed with the 'elite'

maddyone Sun 10-Nov-19 17:57:43

bmacca, you say some comments are ‘vile’ and then go on to add your own vitriolic comment.

grapefruitpip Sun 10-Nov-19 18:00:26

I don't think the word sloppiness is particularly vitriolic?

What do posters feel this sort of discussion does for them?
It seems utterly pointless.

Anniebach Sun 10-Nov-19 18:02:05

I didn’t hear anything said about Johnson attending a VIP lunch, who were the ‘elite guests ?