Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election promises- are they getting desperate?

(98 Posts)
MawB Fri 15-Nov-19 04:30:27

Or are our Christmas stockings going to be bulging with goodies? The first thing that caught my insomniac eye this morning reading the online DT was this:

BORIS JOHNSON will reinstate local railway lines scrapped during the Beeching cuts in the Sixties as part of a package of measures to rejuvenate provincial towns.
The Conservatives will make a manifesto pledge to spend £500 million opening branch lines that closed more than 50 years ago, starting with routes in the north of England
Writing in The Daily Telegraph, Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, promises the plan will “banish the shadow of Beeching and restore those connections which made our country great and brought our people together
Yeah right. How good would it be, but do we believe it? And who is going to pay for it?
Each day seems to bring a new promise, each more desperate than the last - and not just from the Tories. Our health service is imploding, our crime rate is rising with inadequate resourcing for policing, we have ever growing numbers of homeless on the streets, - are promises of “jam tomorrow” really going to convince?
Oh and our potholes locally are still dire, as is the state of the pavements. .

Dustyhen2010 Fri 15-Nov-19 18:36:25

What we are being promised is escalating at such a rate that it will be a free unicorn for every family by 12 Dec. So much elastic truth from our PM. Do they really think they can fool us again after the Brexit bus lies?

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 17:50:05

Even if broadband is classed as a utility, it would still have to be paid for as we pay for any utilities now.

Not all areas have gas now either - in fact quite a high proportion of homes are off the gas grid and will possibly never be connected.

winterwhite Fri 15-Nov-19 17:45:27

I've long though that broadband should be classes as a utility, esp now that so many people work from home because any form of transport can be hell for commuters.
Have also long thought that the party in power should be judged on its past performance, without a strong record its future promises are idle talk.
Struck by something I read this morning - No matter who wins we will all have lost because Brexit, whether it happens or not has utterly battered and broken the country.

Tigertooth Fri 15-Nov-19 17:44:41

Before I get spat at - try Corbyn on an I phone and will auto correct to Corbin. Not intentional.

Tigertooth Fri 15-Nov-19 17:43:21

I have never been so unsure of how to use my vote and yet I feel, as a woman, that it must be used.
Lib Dem’s - don’t like cocky Jo S. and it’s just Lin Un-dems to not either honour the referendum or have a second vote.
Labour - I’m all for a second referendum, it’s the fairest thing to do but I cannot support Red Corbin because he’s dangerous and nuts.
Which leaves Boris whose a liar and I don’t want Brexit without another people’s vote.
So I guess I’m not going to cast a meaningful vote which doesn’t sit well.

Jani31 Fri 15-Nov-19 17:20:11

Jo Swinson promised 35 hours free nursery from 9 months old. My youngest was overjoyed. When does it start and is it for new babies only? Not so happy now ?
Don't get me started on Jeremy, his free wifi in 2030 means he has to win twice and the billions for NHS is 23/24. Not watching anymore, bored stupid with the whole lot ?

EllanVannin Fri 15-Nov-19 16:50:32

Has there been a mention of adding more carriages to the sardine specials that is London's train network ?

Grammaretto Fri 15-Nov-19 16:26:05

My ears pricked up today when I heard the Tory "promise"
MawB mentioned the Waverley Line which had closed in 1969 and the campaign to reinstate it which was successful. It was on time and on budget of £350 million I went on the first train in 2015 thanks to a lucky draw.
Some houses were compulsorily purchased and many new bridges built and temporary roads to carry traffic but once opened it has surprised the sceptics by its popularity. It is overfull at commuter times and should have been bigger to start with as it's mainly single track.
It's reckoned that 36,000 car journeys have been saved annually.

It gives hope to some other campaigners who drive on gridlocked roads.

But I agree this bidding war the politicians are indulging in, seems crazy.

Esmerelda Fri 15-Nov-19 16:18:59

Election promises (from any party) are not worth the hot air they float on. Nuff said!

Bossyrossy Fri 15-Nov-19 16:15:22

Grandad1943, you say that the NHS has taken priority over Brexit in the minds of the voters. However, if we leave the EU then the NHS will be left in the position of having difficulty in recruiting staff to fill the vacancies left by EU staff leaving the U.K. and paying inflated prices for drugs from US companies once the bulk buying powers of the EU are lost to us. The NHS and Brexit are intertwined and should not be seen as one or the other.

Oopsminty Fri 15-Nov-19 15:45:35

Don't all election promises have a whiff of desperation?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Nov-19 15:43:46

Something else Johnson mouthed before getting his brain in gear.

Most of the land is now under private ownership, and has been built on. Bridges etc have been destroyed. Where it is still in public ownership it is often in short amounts and doesn’t go from an obvious A to B

Johnson is making it up,as he goes along isn’t he?

growstuff Fri 15-Nov-19 15:42:30

Most of the old lines round here have houses on them.

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 15:37:24

BORIS JOHNSON will reinstate local railway lines scrapped during the Beeching cuts in the Sixties as part of a package of measures to rejuvenate provincial towns.

No! One of our favourite picnic spots is at an old railway station and closed line!

I will be lying across the non-existent tracks

cupcake1 Fri 15-Nov-19 15:30:33

Jue1
So you think Corbyn has morals and values that should represent our country?! hmm

Paperbackwriter Fri 15-Nov-19 15:26:35

When the rail line from London to Cornwall was smashed by the storms at Dawlish a couple of years ago, we were led to believe that old lines connecting via Okehampton would be restored as the rise in sea level and the severity of winter storms meant the destruction was likely to happen again. Nothing, of course, has been done. I doubt any other lines will be opening during our lifetimes either.

growstuff Fri 15-Nov-19 15:20:30

I agree with Urmstongran's post about public transport too. It needs some joined up thinking.

BBbevan Fri 15-Nov-19 15:16:40

I'm still waiting for the computer Gordon Brown promised every family !

growstuff Fri 15-Nov-19 15:12:28

NanaMacGeek has a good point. I don't live out in the sticks, but I know people living just a few miles away who have very limited broadband and mobile signal. I think making sure everybody has access should be the priority.

Greta Fri 15-Nov-19 15:06:54

Yes, Juel, I feel the same. Unfortunately there are people who just don't care about our PM's behaviour - or even worse, they admire him.:"He is the only one that can get Brexit done!"

Amagran Fri 15-Nov-19 14:56:28

Well said, Juel.

Jue1 Fri 15-Nov-19 14:27:05

The Conservative party have been in office for years now and our country is in a woeful state, particularly the NHS. Universal credit has ravaged the poor, our union is threatened by the border in NI. We have an untruthful Pm who is inadequate in every way. I am no Corbyn supporter but we will have little left of this wonderful country if we vote for Johnson. His morals and values should not represent our country.

suziewoozie Fri 15-Nov-19 14:22:01

Like it or not, the WASPI women are whistling in the wind.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 15-Nov-19 14:15:16

Broadband by one provider? Say BT? OH NO!! Remember telephone ‘party lines’ in the early 70’s? Take it or leave it attitude as there was no other choice?

Oh dear. So, we have "competition" for gas and yet it is the same gas coming along the same pipes. Are you really asking the each gas supplier lays his own pipes?

MaizieD Fri 15-Nov-19 14:04:29

One would assume that the LP had consulted technology experts before deciding on that policy?

Not 'quite' on topic but an interesting article here on how the Thatcher government stymied the UK's fibre broadband development

www.techradar.com/uk/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784