Gransnet forums

News & politics

A look at our NHS since 1997

(85 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:34:19

The Labour Party took government in 1997 with the promise of “saving the NHS”.
During the Major years he had struggled to reverse much of the damage done by Thatcher, and although he was a constant and passionate exponent if the NHS, was largely unsuccessful in reversing much of the funding cuts inflicted on the NHS by Thatcher.

The NHS was perceived to be in crises by the time the Labour government took control in 1997.

The Kings Fund produced a progress report from 1997 to 2010 measuring progress against a number of criteria.

* Between 1997 and 2010 funding for the NHS doubled.
*progress during those 13 years had been considerable
*the NHS was high performing in a number of areas
* more people were being seen, more quickly.

A number of important achievements are highlighted, including major reductions in waiting times and rates of health care associated infections and progress in reducing smoking rates. There has been a concerted effort to implement national standards of care for major diseases across the NHS which has contributed to the continued falls in deaths from cancer and cardiovascular disease.

There are less obvious changes too, including improvements in data collection and reporting, at a national and local level. There is now far more information about performance in the public domain, accessible to patients, carers and members of the public, than ever before.

The report concluded

Despite the challenges the future holds, the next government must build on the progress made and aspire to create an NHS that can deliver quality to all patients, in all areas, all of the time.

So now let’s turn to what has happened to this progress since 1997 and whether it has been maintained over the past 10 years.

Cancer waiting times.

The Labour government had reduced the waiting time, with 85% of patients waiting no more than 62 days to first definitive treatment.

Anyone who has been unfortunate enough to have suffered from cancer like me will know how terrifying the wait is.

Between 2009 and 2014 the target of 85% was consistently reached and in most cases exceeded. So less than a total of 15% of people with suspected cancer were having to face that awful wait.

From 2014 the target was failed and has not once returned to the 85% since then. In fact it is climbing and by 2017 was consistently about 20% of people having to wait and is still climbing.

We all know that cancer success rates are related to early intervention.

I expect the NHS cancer mortality rates will almost certainly deteriorate.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:50:45

Link to above

Death by a thousand cuts.

Pay to find out if you have cancer.

www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/29/revealed-nhs-plans-to-ration-34-unnecessary-tests-and-treatments

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:32:54

There is a list of 34 tests and treatments which previously had been routine, but are now only to be done in exceptional circumstances
3 procedures have since been removed entirely from the list.
The lust includes, many forms of surgery, CT and MRI scans and blood tests for cancer.
Patients will have to hav3 either physio therapy or pain killers to dull the pain of an arthritic knee.
Kidney stones will no longer be removed in theatre, soundwave treatment will be used to try to reduce the horrendous pain associated with the condition,
Adenoids will no longer be removed.
The list has prompted fears of a major escalation of rationing.

The document is to be approved for implementation.

Patients will have a choice if course.

Either put up with it or pay for treatment.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:24:07

Hernia operations to be stopped due to funding issues, as well as back x-rays and knee scans to detect arthritis.

All considered unnecessary.

Cost of the most simple form of hernia repair £2500 in the south east. This includes a one night stay in hospital, m a longer stay will be charged as necessary.
Cost of the most simple form of hernia repair outside of the south east £1900
More complicated hernias from £4900.

These costs only cover the set criteria, anything outside that criteria will be charged extra.

Xrays from £190 and of course the initial consultation of £150.
Treatment will be extra

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 16:07:13

EU citizens aren’t scrounging on the NHS

Claim: “It’s unfair that people coming from European countries can access free NHS care without paying in while others make significant contributions.”
(Michael Gove, Mail on Sunday, Nov 17)

InFact: European citizens* make a bigger contribution to our public finances than both non-EU citizens and Brits. This is because they pay more taxes, and use the NHS and other public services less.

infacts.org/eu-citizens-arent-scrounging-on-the-nhs/

Grany Wed 27-Nov-19 13:30:48

The Tories plan to Give AMERICAN COURTS jurisdiction in Britain! American judges will decide on conflicts over the NHS! WTF!

We must Stand up for the NHS! Don't let the Tories sell Britain out.

No to NHS to the US

#NHSnotforsale
Quote Tweet

Paul Mason
@paulmasonnews

Corbyn reveals 450 pages of uncensored US-UK trade talks over opening the NHS to private healthcare, together with reduced food standards and corporate courts (replacing ECJ with American judges). Bombshell dropped into the campaign. Will be across this as details emerge ???

Grany Wed 27-Nov-19 13:17:57

Daniel W #CorbynOutrider #JC4PM
@DanielWBmouth

2h
NHS Workers are now handing out unredacted copies of a report proving the Tories are selling the NHS to the US. The Tories are finished. Labour Government will fully fund the NHS #GE2019

varian Wed 27-Nov-19 12:44:01

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-trade-deal-trump-corbyn-brexit-general-election-manifesto-a9219566.html

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 10:54:33

BREAKING:
@jeremycorbyn
makes public unredacted documents which show Boris Johnson's government is preparing to sell our NHS. #NotForSaleEvidence of sell off

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 09:43:24

Corporate welfare state.

www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/11/18/the-tories-run-a-secret-welfare-state-for-rich-people-that-costs-taxpayers-up-to-180bn-a-year/

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 09:28:17

* maizie* that’s why I didn’t answer. No point.

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 09:18:51

qizqueen, wrong again on so many levels...but as she never comes back with any evidence or to discuss it's not worth answering...

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 09:11:44

It's had two rethinks since 2010. What do you suggest?

The changing demographic is more elderly, who survive longer, but not necessarily with better health. What do you suggest?

Which people do you think "wellness" initiatives should reach? To be honest, I can hardly log on without having something about "wellness" (whether it's eating more healthily, getting more exercise, sleeping more, etc) popping up on my screen.

"Wellness" is a multi-billion pound/dollar business.

GrannyLaine Thu 21-Nov-19 08:44:57

@Growstuff 04.26 where did I say we should have the same care as in 1947? What a ridiculous idea. My point is that the whole NHS needs a massive re-think to meet the changing demographic today, rather than simply pouring in more and more money. Of course there are wellness initiatives but are they are they reaching those who need them most? I would think not?

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 06:58:15

I agree about "cottage hospitals" and convalescent homes, but I don't agree that we have people rushing into the country to take advantage of a health service which costs nothing and to which they have never contributed because it's not true.

I don't agree that people don't take responsibility for their own first aid either. I actually think people are more likely to Google symptoms and treat them themselves than previously. Greater awareness of symptoms means people are more likely to seek medical advice earlier, which is a good thing.

My GP practice has fewer GPs than it did ten years ago, despite a bigger list. The problem is recruitment rather than having to see people who don't need treatment.

craftyone Thu 21-Nov-19 06:40:59

Too many people not knowing or wanting to take responsibility for their own basic first aid. The nanny state

Too many people rushing into the country and taking advantage of a health sevice which costs them nothing and to which they have never contributed

Closure of cottage hospitals and convalescent homes

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 04:28:14

I would say the statistics about how many people smoke show that "promoting wellness" has had some success.

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 04:26:09

I wouldn't be alive today, if we had the same care as in 1947. Most people with cancer would have a much shorter life expectancy too. Is that what you really want GrannyLaine?

growstuff Thu 21-Nov-19 04:23:26

Lucky you! The standard waiting time for a GP appointment in my area is now four weeks. It's pot luck which GP you get - it could be a locum and, almost certainly, not the one actually "treating" you, so they're unfamiliar with the case. The practice has had at least one vacancy for the last year, which can't be filled.

quizqueen Thu 21-Nov-19 01:02:44

OP, you forgot to mention that when Labour last left government, they left a note saying there was no money left so, unfortunately, the next Government had to go about addressing that. I have always found that, whichever party was in power, I have always received good service from the NHS.

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 00:48:12

Of course the cost never lessened, there are more of us now!

As I have an 'academic' DD who has worked on all sorts of initiatives with the NHS to promote healthy eating I'm bound to disagree with you about the lack of thinking about wellness ?

GrannyLaine Wed 20-Nov-19 23:21:20

@MaizieD, my apologies, my phrase was ambiguous: what I meant was that although the health of the nation did improve, the COST of the NHS never lessened. I certainly don't advocate letting anyone 'go to the wall' but I do believe that there needs to be a really intelligent re-think of promoting wellness at the heart of NHS strategy, as opposed to bolt-on campaigns.

MaizieD Wed 20-Nov-19 22:48:27

At the inception of the NHS, it was believed that with some initial generous pump priming money, the health of the nation would be improved and costs would lessen. That never happened

It did happen. Life expectancy for men and women improved by about 10 years over the period 1950 - 2015.

I have no doubt that, if I looked for them, you'd find that mortality rates have improved, too.

If this doesn't indicate improvements in the health of the nation I'd be extremely surprised.

Yes, technological and pharmaceutical improvements are driving up costs as they keep alive more people who would otherwise have died, but I'm sure you don't advocate letting the weak and sick go to the wall?

The NHS does promote wellness but with budgets cut to the bone how do you expect it to be able to run massive campaigns to influence people's behaviour?

I agree that there should be controls on waste, though so far we are getting anecdotal evidence from posters rather than evidence from properly conducted studies, but money invested in the provision of healthcare doesn't fall into a black hole. It pays people's wages and it supports the private companies which supply the NHS (everything used in the NHS is sourced from the private sector) so circulates in the economy. Which is a Good Thing. And if some of it didn't go to private health providers and get creamed off as profit it would be an Even Better Thing.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Nov-19 22:15:21

The NHS has a huge problem with communication. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Nov-19 22:14:09

Having been carted off to A&E several times in the last few years I can honestly say that the para-medics and ambulance staff are wonderful - professional, caring and entirely admirable.

And then you arrive in A&E......and it all goes downhill from that moment on.

And as for the orthopaedic ward my OH was on - there is another thread about this. He was allowed to dehydrate - and that was just he first of his woes. The "care" was a disgrace.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Nov-19 21:50:38

Liz46, they're the best against what you read about other places.
I would say that seeing as I worked there smile It's right though.