Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ending a 'historic injustice' against women

(13 Posts)
SunnySusie Sun 24-Nov-19 09:10:23

Utterly thrilled to hear the news this morning that not only have Labour acknowledged that millions of women like us have been denied pension payments, they have a plan to put things right. This is the news about so called WASPI women who thought for most of their lives they would get a pension at 60 only to find someone had moved the goalposts. There are millions of us denied pensions for months and years. I am over the moon that Labour have now acknowledged the injustice and made a pledge to sort things out. Here is one floating voter who is no longer floating. Its not just the money, although that is important, its realising that finally someone is listening to the ordinary people and not running around courting big business and the rich elites.

mcem Sun 24-Nov-19 09:24:44

Susie please see Waspi Women thread I started earlier.

eazybee Sun 24-Nov-19 10:45:24

Why do you think you should be allowed to retire at sixty when others have to work until sixty-five?
Not an historic injustice, unless you mean men.

FlexibleFriend Sun 24-Nov-19 11:24:21

They're just trying to buy votes, they ain't getting mine.

Septimia Sun 24-Nov-19 11:29:39

I agree FlexibleFriend.

I only had to wait a few months for my pension, but I knew I would have to wait.

Why is there so much fuss, therefore, about women not knowing that this would happen? I accept that it was introduced rather rapidly, but did they all have their heads in the sand?

SiobhanSharpe Sun 24-Nov-19 12:04:19

This does not affect me as I already had my pension but I do think it was introduced as a quick money-saving fix with little consultation and the thought that it would not matter very much to anyone apart from women and that these women would just have to lump it. It could have been done much more sensitively, and, given the row it has caused, more effectively.
I am very pleased that the women concerned have kicked up an almighty fuss, so much so that something may be done about it.
It was the thought that these women really did not matter that annoys me greatly,

TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Nov-19 12:17:16

He’s he’ll say anything to get in and then where would we be it would be a disaster ! Do you really believe this fence sitter will ever do what he promises, he changes his mind ever five minutes.

Daisymae Sun 24-Nov-19 13:23:04

Well it's about time. However they are all promising the earth at the moment. Although I am affected my vote will not be so influenced.

tidyskatemum Sun 24-Nov-19 13:36:32

Who else can we find to promise to throw money at in the hope they'll be gullible enough to vote for us? Mmmmm,,,,got it - WASPI women. What's another £58 billion in all the hundreds of billions being pledged in Cloud Cuckoo Land?
I'm a WASPI but I'm not up for being scammed.

oldgimmer1 Sun 24-Nov-19 13:40:35

I'm a waspi and agree that this is not a historical injustice.

Why shouldn't women be expected to work as long as men?

That seems fairer to me.

oldgimmer1 Sun 24-Nov-19 13:48:41

...and it was proposed as far back as the mid-90s so plenty of time to prepare for most of us.

wicklowwinnie Sun 24-Nov-19 13:50:14

All manifestoes should be taken with a pinch of salt. The last three Labour governments left the country bankrupted. Remember Gordon Brown saying the pot is empty?

GrandmaJan Sun 24-Nov-19 14:01:37

I was almost 64 when I got my state pension and I knew I was going to have to wait like many others. I’m confused as to how the Labour Party are going to deal with this though if the win the election. Are they going to reimburse all of us who had to wait and give us hundreds of pounds in back pay? It’s going to be very difficult and costly if that’s the case. I’d be interested to know if anyone can enlighten me.