Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fed up with being promised the moon on a stick!

(105 Posts)
phoenix Sun 24-Nov-19 18:15:57

And "jam tomorrow".

Yes, I'm one of those women who's pension age got moved, but Corbyns promise of "compensation" just sounds like the usual vote seeking promise.

Mr Johnson is no better.

Sick of all of them, feel a spoiled ballot paper coming on..........

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 21:57:13

It can be argued that helping WASPI women is in the public good, giving help to a group who have suffered grievously and inadvertently from a necessary public policy (increasing the retirement age for women to give parity)

Pantglas2 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:58:28

I agree M0nica - but then I’m fortunate not to need the personal gain which many would benefit from. They would probably think their need is greater than the public good so where do we go from there? The eternal question.....

crystaltipps Tue 26-Nov-19 19:55:17

I will probably benefit financially from a Tory government. But guess what - I’d rather pay a bit more tax and have decent public services.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 19:48:03

Pantglas I still believe one should vote on the basis of the public good not personal gain.

That still leaves plenty of space to argue about what is in the public good.

Pantglas2 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:35:34

I’m one of those who would benefit from Labours promise to the tune of £27000+ but I still think that my choice lies elsewhere for the greater good. Should I look after myself or others?

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 09:37:55

The competitive bidding going on between the two main parties is ludicrous. Each day we get the offer of the day from one or another and I have yet to meet anyone who believes any of it. In fact far from winning votes, it is switching voters off, they treat these competitive offers with the contempt they deserve

I think it is like Black Friday, which is, of course, due this week and as Which reports today is a bit of a con job because the companies carefully make sure that goods to be reduced on Black Friday are priced at a much higher levels in the weeks the Black Friday 'bargains' are measured against.

bikergran Tue 26-Nov-19 09:15:30

Growstuff I work 16.5 hours but I am able to claim Working Tax Credit.

Perhaps that is because I am on my own and not a couple.

ananimous Tue 26-Nov-19 09:03:15

"Women literally died to give us a vote" - Such a shame then that we ALL lost democracy in 2016. Fool me once...

Linda369 Tue 26-Nov-19 06:42:13

I quite agree women literally died to give us the vote. I will be voting tactically to try to ensure that the Tory party do not win. Why - their lies and cheating are beyond a joke, 50,00 extra nurses to include 19,00 who already work for the NHS etc. Changing their press office twitter name to hide the fact that it was actually Tory party. Get Brexit done simply mean# that we move to another phase of drawn out protracted negotiations to try to get deals to replace what we already have in place.

growstuff Tue 26-Nov-19 03:02:23

I think the Labour Party is seriously misguided to promise a small group of women (some of whom are quite wealthy and could afford to retire early) billions, while homeless are dying on our streets, children are being brought up in temporary bed and breakfasts, people are waiting on mental health waiting lists for years, the NHS is collapsing, schools are struggling to stay open five days a week and offer a full range of curriculum subjects, the poor are turning to loan sharks because benefits have been frozen, the elderly are dying prematurely or stuck in hospital through lack of social care, etc etc.

growstuff Tue 26-Nov-19 02:54:22

I think that's quite deliberate Eloethan. It would be relatively easy and cheap to mitigate the problems caused by the 2011 Act, along with tweaking working-age benefits, so that those over 60 who can't work full-time and/or are genuinely suffering hardship could have some help. Unfortunately, WASPI and Backto60 aren't happy with that. They want to revoke the 1995 Act in its entirety for 1950s born women, so that even those women who did know about the changes and are now well-off would receive compensation. Backto60 have even started complaining that the Labour Party proposal isn't enough. They're not interested in solving the problems caused by the 2011 Act.

ananimous Mon 25-Nov-19 23:32:11

A promise is a comfort to a fool...

Eloethan Mon 25-Nov-19 23:19:37

Yes, I think that's what people seem to be missing. The second change gave people little notice to sort their finances out and plan for the future.

Pixxie7 Mon 25-Nov-19 23:13:55

At least Corbyn has acknowledged there is a problem and many women had no formal notifications plus the age was hiked up again in 2010.

Crazygran Mon 25-Nov-19 22:38:46

I would have to see pink elephants fly before I would believe labour would give me the money I am owed .

Milo27 Mon 25-Nov-19 21:26:00

I think the election comes down to whether you want Brexit or not.
I believe passionately in Democracy and although I voted out, if the democratic vote was to have remained then so be it and I would have respected the majority.
This complete and utter s** 'peoples' vote is insulting, sorry who voted last time ??
( Rant over !) smile

varian Mon 25-Nov-19 20:59:02

Alliance leader Naomi Long has said the current general election campaign is "one of the worst" she has ever fought in terms of "smears and lies".

She was speaking as she helped launch her party's manifesto at a Belfast hotel.

In recent weeks, banners attacking a variety of politicians and parties have appeared in North and South Belfast and in North Down.

The party is standing candidates in all 18 seats in Northern Ireland.

Solonge Mon 25-Nov-19 20:35:22

I would look at the present government and be aware, it was their choice to deny us, WASPI women our rightful pensions, not any of the other parties. I dislike the numbers dying on the streets, the mismanagement of the NHS, lack of social care and nothing but constant tax cuts which increase the problem not solve it. Don't spoil ballot papers.....too many suffragettes suffered unbelievably to gain our right to vote, so please vote. Read the manifesto's, don't vote just for yourself but for the party that will look after the majority of people, which will make the UK a better place to live. Get involved in politics and work with the party you vote for to make sure your voice is heard and you make sure they stay on point. Make it a positive action, not negative.

growstuff Mon 25-Nov-19 20:29:39

How do you work that out Lilyflower? Firstly, it's laughable to claim that Corbyn is a hardline Marxist. Secondly, most people seem to think that the LibDems are Tory-lites.

varian Mon 25-Nov-19 20:28:27

I see lilyflower thinks that a vote for Jo Swinson is a vote for Corbyn. That makes a change from the usual nonsense that a vote for Jo Swinson is a vote for Johnson .

LibDems reject both of these dreadful men.

The fact is that every vote for Jo Swinson is a vote for the Liberal Democrats to STOP BREXIT

growstuff Mon 25-Nov-19 20:27:13

The Conservative Party manifesto has nothing about industrial strategy, which will be absolutely essential in a post-Brexit world. How do the Conservatives intend to solve some of the problems which have caused our stagnant, unbalanced economy?

Notthatoldyet9 Mon 25-Nov-19 20:21:39

Nobody is going to bring the retirement age back down or give us compensation money
Corbin will say anything to get elected then raise taxes to pay for it
I am voting for boris

Lilyflower Mon 25-Nov-19 20:15:04

A vote for Swindon is a vote for Corbyn effectually. Do you really want a hardline Marxist destroying the country and taking your house? If you don’t, don’t vote LibDem.

grannyrebel7 Mon 25-Nov-19 20:13:07

If Corbyn promises something I believe him. He's a decent man. It's not just a vote catcher. The Labour party is the only party to get this country out of the appalling mess the Tory party has left it in.

grabba Mon 25-Nov-19 19:57:00

A spoiled ballot is a useless. Vote for another candidate if you can't vote the 2 main parties that would be a better option