Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andrew Neil’s interview with Johnson

(173 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:51:00

These are some of the subjects we can expect to be brought up

Wolfie.
I await Mr Neil's interview with Johnson with interest.

1. Jennifer Arcuri
2. Russian interference report suppression
3. Rampant Tory Islamaphobia
4. Johnson a serial liar
5. Johnson a homophobic
6. Tory austerity deaths
7. Tory dirty election stunts

And much, much more.

freyja Mon 09-Dec-19 15:53:14

By the way WadesNan I am a member of the Green Party. I just don't like seeing or hearing the media or the BBC interrogating members of all parties whilst excluding the Tories. It's not fair but then this election has not been fair and open.

freyja Mon 09-Dec-19 15:19:36

So BJ has declined to be interviewed by AN no surprise there then. As he is incompatible of stringing a sentence together without mentioning 'Lets get Brexit done' at least 15 times per interview or debate so we are we not going to gain any more insight into his policies after he has got Brexit done. So no real loss of seeing BJ bumbling his way through another interview. Not too sure if AN would have put him through the wringer either because AN is a life long Tory member so remaining impartial would only served to highlight how the BBC bias really is. Funny though how we haven't heard to much about the none appearance of BJ's interview with AN.

Yet this morning 9th December on Radio 5 questions with the leaders of parties. The host chastised JC for not coming on the show and appealed to him to reconsider.

One thing that has been so clear in the election campaign is how basis the BBC and the media are in favour of BJ. They are all to eager to ridicule, condemn and blame all the other parties even picking out faults of individuals. Yet when it comes to BJ they make excuses, he can say what he likes and still they admire him. No wonder people thinks BJ is wonderful and the best leader we have had since Churchill because the media and the BBC endorse it, and many people believe what they read in the papers or what's on the telly.

varian Fri 06-Dec-19 15:57:06

TREVOR KAVANAGH, giving opinion in "The Sun" writes-

Boris Johnson must gather his courage, pick up the gauntlet and face Andrew Neil

www.thesun.co.uk/news/10463430/boris-johnson-courage-andrew-neil/

It comes to something when this is from the ultra- brexitty Boris-supporting Sun!

GracesGranMK3 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:13:27

Latest in Neil-gate - Senior Conservative source claims public might not be interested in Johnson interview - ‘The public are fed up with interviews that are all about the interviewer and endless interruptions. The format is tired and broken and needs to change’

I despair of any of the "public" who still back this man. Apparently, they thought the "public" was interested enough for them to play off the Corbyn interview. He really is despicable and so, I am beginning to feel, are those who want a liar and a charlatan to run our country.

Grandad1943 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:04:15

There are many people who have not taken any great interest in this Election up to this point in time by way of Christmas etc being higher up their agenda.

However, it would seem that the Johnson refusal to be interviewed by Andrew Neil has now come to such people's attention, and that is what is making this issue such a defining moment in this election campaign.

Running scared were the words being used in our office this morning and that I believe is the true situation and why this has become so damaging to Johnson and the Tory Party campaign.

growstuff Fri 06-Dec-19 13:41:34

I meant "doesn't". I think Neil has already said it all. On the other hand ... wink

SirChenjin Fri 06-Dec-19 13:15:51

Exactly - but I’d add that it raises serious questions about his ability to cope under pressure and to deal with very complex questions and difficult conversations regarding Brexit. If he’s running scared of a journalist on TV then he simply doesn’t have the right character and courage required to take us through the next few difficult years. A TV interview with a few tough questions should not be something that is beyond his abilities.

Grandad1943 Fri 06-Dec-19 12:48:14

I believe that Johnsons refusal to be interviewed by Andrew Neil has now become the defining issue of this election campaign. Should he continue to avoid the same scrutiny that all other party leaders have taken part in, then that will without doubt be reflected in the result on December 13th.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 10:38:00

greta ???

Greta Fri 06-Dec-19 10:34:18

The excuse that ”the public are fed up with interviews” is convenient for BJ. I guess the public is also not interested in the report about Russian interference since he will not let us see it. But the party defends him again and again. It would be good to know what they really think about their leader – but of course cannot say.

The AN interview with BJ would be a great opportunity for BJ to show just how coherent, well spoken, well briefed, honest and trustworthy he is. Why on earth would he not grasp it?

SirChenjin Fri 06-Dec-19 10:11:16

That sums it up perfectly!

MamaCaz Fri 06-Dec-19 10:00:20

This made me laugh

Ginny42 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:57:58

But for now he needs to conform to the accepted method of interview to explain his plans to the wider public, and not filtered through the right-wing press.

What a wimp! Anyone confident in his plans would be incandescent had he been ignored and not invited to an interview.

SirChenjin Fri 06-Dec-19 09:57:04

Did you really think they’d come up with anything else? He’s like Trump’s younger brother - if you can’t handle something then attempt to discredit it and hope that there will be some out there who are stupid enough to believe you.

MaizieD Fri 06-Dec-19 09:53:23

WELL! shock

The latest in the tories utter effrontery. They grow more despicable every minute..

Apparently, Johnson has declined the Neil interview. Laura Kuenssberg tweets the reason:

Latest in Neil-gate - Senior Conservative source claims public might not be interested in Johnson interview - ‘The public are fed up with interviews that are all about the interviewer and endless interruptions. The format is tired and broken and needs to change’

twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1202880524286595073

SirChenjin Fri 06-Dec-19 09:47:44

I agree jura

jura2 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:27:34

Now THAT is a great idea ...

but the simple fact is- the interview needs to take place - with or without Johnson.

SirChenjin Fri 06-Dec-19 09:24:17

If Johnson is as scared of Neil as he seems to be then it confirms everything we thought and doesn’t say much for his ability to deal with the forthcoming pressures and difficult conversations and questions relating to Brexit.

I wonder if Andrew Neil would compromise and allow Dominic Cummings to sit beside the blonde buffoon and feed him the answers as per normal?

jura2 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:11:29

growstuff ''Neil Has certainly gone up in my estimation. shock He doesn't need to empty chair Johnson, who must really have pi**ed him off.''

did you mea 'does need' or 'doesn't'?

I think he really DOES need, must.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:19:10

David Gauke the Tory MP says that Johnson has made the right decision not to be interviewed by Neil as he (Johnson) would be entirely out of his depth.

This is likely to be our next prime minister

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:15:21

Wonder if we will hear anything today.

If Johnson does agree to an interview I bet he is trying to negotiate the type of question etc.

He is really hopeless and such an awful embarrassment.

MawB Fri 06-Dec-19 07:15:27

Fantastic - made my day!

Tooting29 Fri 06-Dec-19 06:54:27

Well done Andrew Neil for laying down the gauntlet. It is outrageous that he can pick and choose what interview he can do. This could be a game changer all at BJ feet. The British public should not stand for it and vote accordingly on Thursday especially in his constituency.

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 23:10:54

I'll be very surprised if Boris accepts Neil's invitation (even with the questions known beforehand) as he's a coward:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50679252?SThisFB=IwAR2j6stwRQh1_F7jJxk-VsZqzqGdS7D35fNMRE1miPQFU1OsBj5CfsODWiI

growstuff Thu 05-Dec-19 22:52:41

Neil Has certainly gone up in my estimation. shock He doesn't need to empty chair Johnson, who must really have pi**ed him off.