Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our brave “have a go” members of the public

(16 Posts)
MawB Fri 29-Nov-19 18:06:12

I am totally in awe of members of the public who, without special training, protective clothing, or weapons, nevertheless will “have a go” at attackers.
There were nurses and doctors too at the Borough Market terrorist attack not so long ago who put their lives on the line even to the point of losing them.
We could not manage without them and they are a credit to the best in our society.

SirChenjin Fri 29-Nov-19 18:11:32

Hear hear Maw - so much bravery and courage shown at these awful times by ordinary members of the public.

MamaCaz Fri 29-Nov-19 18:12:51

So true.

Oopsminty Fri 29-Nov-19 18:17:03

Incredible acts of bravery

merlotgran Fri 29-Nov-19 18:37:57

So brave of them. DD3 was there a couple of hours before it happened. shock Guy's campus has been in lockdown and they're still recommending that people stay put but thankfully she's now back in halls.

It must have been very scary for everyone there.

Doodle Fri 29-Nov-19 18:44:01

Very brave people. So sorry for those who died

Urmstongran Fri 29-Nov-19 18:53:47

Well done to the Police and those members of the public that disarmed and detained the suspect.

Somewhere 2 families are now going to have to face Christmas without a loved one who through no fault of their own just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My deepest sympathy to them. x

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-Nov-19 19:18:25

I would hope that I would react in the same way as those brave people.
I’ve never been tested though so I can’t tell.
So sorry for the families of those amazing people.

varian Fri 29-Nov-19 19:25:27

I also feel likd that Pamela. We none of us know what we might do in an extreme situation until we are tested.

Perhaps as old folk, we might be able to be braver than we might have been as parents of young children. We have had good lives. We have less to lose.

crystaltipps Fri 29-Nov-19 19:44:09

Let’s hope they get a medal

sodapop Fri 29-Nov-19 20:09:25

Just ordinary people who were extraordinarily brave, restores one's faith.

My sympathies to the families of those who died too.

Grandma70s Fri 29-Nov-19 20:12:10

My son crosses London Bridge every day. Today he had a day off and had come 200 miles to visit me.

He has two young children. I don’t think I’d have wanted him to be ‘brave’ if he’d been there. It’s a moral puzzle.

crazyH Fri 29-Nov-19 20:17:21

That brave man, who wrestled the knife from the terrorist - he should definitely win a Bravery award .

lemongrove Fri 29-Nov-19 20:18:02

We should all be courageous at moments like these, but have no idea until it happens how we will react.
Very brave to tackle this man, a fake suicide vest isn’t immediately apparent.They deserve a medal.

TerriBull Fri 29-Nov-19 20:24:41

It's all too reminiscent of the last atrocities on that bridge, I was thinking about my son's girlfriend her office is in London Bridge. Yes those people were very brave sadly two innocent people have died, I'm glad the assailant has been taken out by the police look what he's done sad just too awful for words as it always is with these random acts of violence against the general public and for what? I guess we'll find in due course, no sympathy for him whatsoever.

annep1 Fri 29-Nov-19 21:38:07

Sympathy to all those who suffered.
Well done to the brave members of the public. I have so much admiration for them.
And thanks of course to the police.