Gransnet forums

News & politics

I’d love this to be fake news but I’m afraid it’s not !

(22 Posts)
janipat Sat 30-Nov-19 10:56:05

trisher the wording would seem to suggest that if no attempt is made the doctor would be liable for criminal prosecution and/or civil damages. How on earth could they sanction civil damages because a doctor had failed to attempt an impossible procedure?

trisher Sat 30-Nov-19 10:13:04

Does this mean that if a doctor didn't at least try to do it the woman could sue?

janipat Sat 30-Nov-19 10:09:17

One awful aspect of this is that most ectopic pregnancies cause enormous grief because they are wanted pregnancies. These morons want to add to a woman's grief by not only losing her baby, but calling the life-saving surgery necessary an abortion. Just heartless and cruel!

Gonegirl Sat 30-Nov-19 09:54:19

The lunatics are definitely in charge of the asylum in the US.

Alexa Sat 30-Nov-19 09:53:22

I read the article in the Guardian and I presumed the anti abortionist nuts are religious nuts too.

I do believe it's possible for there to be reasonable faith, but only if the faithful are not organised into religions.

growstuff Sat 30-Nov-19 09:29:56

I couldn't agree with you more Alexa. It's all very well having a democracy and giving people choice, but not when those with the loudest voices are the ones who get heard and people can be influenced by emotions and rhetoric. All that does is lead to Wild West politics and vigilantism. Democracy needs to be parallel to the law, human rights and firm commitments to minorities.

Alexa Sat 30-Nov-19 09:21:19

PS Sorry, I try to be brief too brief. We need electorate to be enlightened as to reason and judgement.

Liz46 Sat 30-Nov-19 09:20:27

Madness. It's a pity we need politicians.

Alexa Sat 30-Nov-19 09:19:09

It's the disadvantage of democracy that popular opinion which is so often misinformed is in charge.

This is a wake up call for the best tertiary education free for all citizens.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 09:02:40

Right wing politics - when it gets out of control

eebeew Sat 30-Nov-19 08:49:54

If they tried they could be censured by their Medical College..

eebeew Sat 30-Nov-19 08:47:46

It’s still only a Bill. If it goes through Doctors just won’t be able to do it it’s impossible. Starting to think I have lived too long!

Witzend Sat 30-Nov-19 08:45:35

I suppose a biology lesson or two for these people wouldn't work anyway - they'd say the 'proof' was the work of Satan or something.

Hetty58 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:44:48

It's a worry when people so ignorant and/or deluded are taken seriously - like the world's going insane!

SirChenjin Sat 30-Nov-19 08:37:05

It seems he doctors have already told them that this is medically impossible but they’re pressing ahead.

I suppose if there are people who believe the Earth is flat there’ll be people who believe that the Doctors are simply lying sad

NfkDumpling Sat 30-Nov-19 08:34:56

There are some very weird people with very peculiar ideas in positions of power in the USA. But then, the same can be said the world over. People with commons sense don’t usually run for high office.

Witzend Sat 30-Nov-19 08:22:29

Regardless of ethics/morality, this would surely be impossible anyway, wouldn't it? I thought the point of ectopic pregnancies was that at a very early stage they've already implanted themselves in a Fallopian tube - how could they later re-implant themselves elsewhere? The embryo would surely just die.

LullyDully Sat 30-Nov-19 08:03:52

Surely a doctor can't remove an embryo from a fallopian tube.

I remember a a colleague being wheeled down the corridor at work looking like death.She had an ectopic pregnancy,not an easy condition. This idea is madness. Do they only have male politicians?

Doodledog Fri 29-Nov-19 23:13:45

It's like we are living the Handmaid's Tale.

EllanVannin Fri 29-Nov-19 22:36:27

Insane !!

SirChenjin Fri 29-Nov-19 22:32:50

Surely this won’t get through the courts??

The madness that’s coming out of that country is breathtaking. Let it be a lesson to us all - the religious fanatics must not be allowed to have any influence over legislation.

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Nov-19 22:18:43

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/29/ohio-extreme-abortion-bill-reimplant-ectopic-pregnancy?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1575018221

It appears the Ohio State Legislature are trying to pass a bill requiring physicians to re implant ectopic pregnancies in a woman’s uterus or be charged with illegal abortion .

This despite vigorous protections that this is , in fact not medically possible .

Has the world finally lost its last marble ???