Gransnet forums

News & politics

John McDonnell - fee paying scholar to Marxist

(320 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 30-Nov-19 11:21:25

What is it with Labour high command? The Sun newspaper recently outed JMcD as having gone to a fee paying public school at £38,000 p.a. Fair enough say some, you can’t blame him for the choices his parents made regarding his education.

But wait a minute! These last few years he had tried to hide it. Said (eventually) it was in preparation for the seminary (it wasn’t - the school scoffed at the idea).

Now he’s part of the cohort who wants to abolish private schools but will make do (until then) with removing their tax avoidance charity status.

In the mean time he waves his little red book about.

Seems to be “do as I say, don't do as I do” - for the few, not for the many it seems.

Another Labour hypocrite!

What do you think?

MaizieD Tue 10-Dec-19 16:16:59

Maybe you weren't clear in what you were saying, MOnica. I read your post as saying that everyone was entitled to be anything on GGMk3's list of characteristics; i.e, entitled to be arrogant, cruel, racist etc.

If that was not what you meant I apologise for not being a mind reader...

M0nica Sun 08-Dec-19 16:35:54

Oh dear Maizie you should really read your own posts.

Me: Everyone, regardless of background, is entitled to be everything on your list. It is truly democratic.

You:^We don't usually regard them as being entitled to lead the country, though,^

As a direct reply to that I listed Prime Ministers who came from ordinary or less than average homes. I was not commenting on their character or anything else, merely their childhood origins.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:21:24

Thanks, MaizieD
I thought you had missed it!!

I don't read/watch Harry Potter

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:20:22

Ah, as no-one replied I googled it
Rita Skeeter was a Harry Potter character, I thought she must have been a journalist.

MaizieD Sun 08-Dec-19 16:19:10

Callistomen. Rita Skeeter was the toxic, popular press type, journalist in the Harry Potter books.

I didn't think that everyone would get that reference grin

MaizieD Sun 08-Dec-19 16:17:06

I beg your pardon, MOnica. Good examples of what?

Good examples of lying, irresponsible, disloyal, insulting, racist, arrogant, cruel, dangerous, hypocritical, deceitful and idle people who led the country?

I don't think any of them got a Full House... (card game reference)

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:10:05

Who is Rita Skeeter?

M0nica Sun 08-Dec-19 15:38:29

You may not, Maizie, but I do. Good examples are Margaret Thatcher and John Major. Possibly Neil Kinnock and Harold Wilson.

varian Sun 08-Dec-19 00:16:20

It is not the fault of John McDonnell that his parents chose to send him to a fee paying catholic school

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 23:32:19

Obviously I can't tell my Scouser from my Mancunian.
I've been listening to a Scouser this evening and he sounded nothing like John McD

MaizieD Sat 07-Dec-19 23:13:02

We don't usually regard them as being entitled to lead the country, though, MOnica

M0nica Sat 07-Dec-19 21:56:28

GGMk3 Everyone, regardless of background, is entitled to be everything on your list. It is truly democratic.

GrannySquare Sat 07-Dec-19 21:50:41

Understand your point very well @Yehbutnobut.

Coming from a long line of Scousers, I can hear how the local accent softens & adapts as the diaspora has moved away from the city centre by varying amounts & different directions.

Taking your point, I suggest that JMcD must pop back to his birthplace regularly to top up his Scouse twang., otherwise he’d sound like he came from the Greater London ‘burbs & East Anglia.

MaizieD Thu 05-Dec-19 09:48:51

there were many other articles - try the Sun, Express or the Daily Mail.

No, Ug, there were just 3 other articles, the ones you mention. (I know because I googled it too) And if you read them all, as I did, they were all of them lifted directly from the Rita Skeeter article in the Mail on Sunday, as was the one you linked to.

It was a non-story, planted to wind you and your ilk up. Worked a treat...

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:17:03

Johnson was an entitled child too. Sadly it has made him an entitled adult.

Entitled to lie.
Entitled to take no responsibility.
Entitled to drop his friends if they aren't useful to him. Entitled to insult.
Entitled to be racist.
Entitled to be arrogant.
Entitled to be cruel.
Entitled to be dangerous.
Entitled to be deceitful.
Entitled to be hypocritical.
Entitled to be idiotic.
Entitled to be lazy.

What a pity he didn't just benefit from the education he was given.

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:53:11

infantile ...

Labaik Wed 04-Dec-19 19:47:36

You're bored because you got it wrong...[imo]….

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 17:35:12

Bored - hey that is easy.... but so so expected.

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 17:33:09

Just flipped back over a few comments that I’d missed.

growstuff and MaizieD I said I’d picked a source at random! Sorry it was a less than decent one.

Mea culpa.

However, as I pointed out earlier - there were many other articles - try the Sun, Express or the Daily Mail.

I’m bored with this thread now - adios!

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 17:30:24

You definitely opened a can of worms Urm grin

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 17:26:48

Oh my goodness

(a) I cannot believe my little thread (!) is still running

And

(b) that ybnb STILL has it in for me. - such a mean turn of phrase to any OP - Has Ug scuttled quietly away?

I said yesterday afternoon I thought it was time to leave.
I voted ‘aye’

Did you not see it?

No further comment from me on this thread.
?

P.s. I wasn’t ‘scuttling’

GracesGranMK3 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:53:39

Opal Do all Tories or fans of Mr Johnson lie or do they tell the truth and tell us what is incorrect in those articles? Just it's gossip and speculation is a lie unless it can be proved otherwise.

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:57:34

Opal just answer me this, are you really happy with what has happened in this country over the last decade?

A simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ will suffice.

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:56:00

GrannySquare John McD’s does not have much of an accent even though he was born in Liverpool, but..possibly like myself, and others, if I return to my hometown I find myself slipping back into the local accent unconsciously.

Understand?

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:48:43

Has Ug scuttled quietly away?