Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andrew Marr show today...

(130 Posts)
jura2 Sun 01-Dec-19 11:56:52

was not able to watch as no UK Channels where I am currently. Could you kindly tell me how it went? Thanks.

Curlywhirly Sun 19-Apr-20 18:49:27

Yes Urmstongran me too!

Urmstongran Sun 19-Apr-20 18:29:58

I can’t be the only one on here that didn’t check the date of the OP and thought ‘jura’s back ‼️

varian Sun 19-Apr-20 18:24:42

Further back on this thread someone chose to praise Michael Gove who appeared on this morning's Andrew Marr Show.

I watched the show and was appalled at Gove's pathetic performance. He was by far the weakest of the contributors.

Just check out BBC i-player and listen to Professor Sarah Gilbert of Oxford University explaining how vaccines are developed, then watch Sir David Attenburgh and LP shadow chancellor Annelise Dodds, They all talked in a straightforward way about the truth of our situation.

Then we heard Gove spout meaningless propaganda, enough to make any thinking viewer despair. Anyone who voted for this appallingly incompetent government should be ashamed.

jura2 Tue 03-Dec-19 21:02:55

Thank you Anno- I stand corrected- interesting.

Elegran Tue 03-Dec-19 21:01:49

Boris Johnson's interview with Andrew Marr fact-checked by BBC Reality check.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50624056

Yehbutnobut Tue 03-Dec-19 11:18:17

No Varian for allowing him to dictate to the BBC - not that he wasn’t pushing on an open door anyway.

varian Tue 03-Dec-19 11:14:00

BBC branded 'shameful' for allowing PM Boris Johnson to be interviewed by Andrew Marr instead of Andrew Neil

www.scotsman.com/news/politics/bbc-branded-shameful-for-allowing-pm-boris-johnson-to-be-interviewed-by-andrew-marr-instead-of-andrew-neil-1-5054877?__twitter_impression=true

annodomini Mon 02-Dec-19 23:45:48

Andrew Marr is certainly not a Tory. His late father-in-law was the labour Lord (Jack) Ashley. His wife, Jackie Ashley is a journalist who has written for both the New Statesman and The Guardian.
(thanks to Wiki for relevant information)

growstuff Mon 02-Dec-19 23:06:46

jura I'd be surprised if Marr is a Tory.

jura2 Mon 02-Dec-19 21:34:54

our postal votes had gone already - and not for him either, for sure.

Apparently tons of Tories have been complaining to the BBC that Andrew Marr was too hard on him - really ahahaha.

Andrew Neil next, even though he is also a staunch Con and has always been he will eat him alive. If Johnson does not give date and time to the BBC by tomorrow- the interview should go ahead, and Johnson empty chaired, or cardboard cut out - question asked- then camera on silent chair for a while, and next question. No ifs, no buts ...

Tooting29 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:14:22

The interview helped me make up my mind. Boris has zero integrity and will nor be getting my vote. The politicking after the,tragic events on Friday for me was one line crossed too far.

jura2 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:14:09

oh I hope Trump will hug and kiss him, and give him thumbs up, and say he can't wait for the Deals with the NHS, hormone cattle and bleached chickens to be done, and for workers rights to be matched with USA smile

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:45:53

Johnson has to avoid a Trump this week as well. The Tories are aware that trump is strongly disliked in the U.K.

Daddima Mon 02-Dec-19 15:43:43

Talking of telling lies.....

boris-johnson-lies.com/

jura2 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:37:57

Andew Neil should set his own date and time, this week- if Boris does not come up with his own. He should then be empty chaired- the questions asked - and a silence for 1 minute each time with the camera on the chair. A cardboard effigy could be placed on chair, or just empty.

Simple, end of - no excuse.

growstuff Mon 02-Dec-19 15:35:34

I think Johnson should have appeared on TV shortly after the atrocity and said what all leaders say. Maybe he should look on YouTube and see how the NZ Prime Minister responded.

Once again, he looked and sounded as though he had a bad hangover and came out with a loud of superficial garbage and lies.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:24:29

They don’t like each other apparently, not sure if the truth in that. But both were up for editor of the Spectator and Neil got it.

Tbh I find it a bit incredible that Johnson was being considered giving his track record.

varian Mon 02-Dec-19 15:21:32

Why is he so scared of being interviewed by fellow lifelong Tory Andrew Neil?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:19:31

All prime ministers are interviewed after a terrorist atrocity.

None but Johnson have attempted to make political capital out of the deaths

varian Mon 02-Dec-19 15:14:39

And should he not also be interviewed by Andrew Neil?

lemongrove Mon 02-Dec-19 13:15:05

......but, don’t you think that the PM should appear on tv to talk about the latest terrorist attack?
Am sure that the general public would expect it.

Granny23 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:13:32

Sorry, I made such a mess of the italics still typing with just my useless left hand.

Granny23 Mon 02-Dec-19 13:10:09

" *
" ^The BBC managed to make two howlers in the space of a week. First, they told Labour and the SNP that the Andrew Neil interviews would be conducted with all party leaders, when in fact they had not actually got the Tories agreement for Neil to interview Boris Johnson. Neil's interviews with Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon were aired, and the Corbyn interview in particular generated negative headlines in all the big UK papers, a fact the BBC live programmes editor Rob Burley was happy to boast about on Twitter* .

" They then managed to compound the error in wake of the terrorist attack on London Bridge on Friday. Having previously stated that Johnson would not get to be interviewed on the Andrew Marr Show until he agreed to be interviewed by Neil first, they went back on that decision following the London Bridge attack, saying it was now "in the public interest" for Johnson to appear on Marr .

" *Why they thought it was so essential for the public to see a transparent opportunist like Johnson blame Labour for the terrorist attack in the most crass way possible is anyone's guess. But it only served to compound the view that the BBC is run by people who are incapable of neutrality in this election. "The problem for the BBC is that it is easier to lose trust than it is to gain it. Especially if this election goes Johnson's way, many on the left of politics will never forgive the BBC for its coverage. If you doubt that, see the Yes side in Scotland following the 2014 referendum^ .

Ben Wray, Common A.M.

lemongrove Mon 02-Dec-19 13:02:22

It’s true Dinah that harsh punishments don’t act as a deterrent, but in the case of terrorism offences and really violent offenders, keeping them in prison for longer keeps people safer from them for longer.
It does need a proper review by all interested parties though to determine what should now happen.

lemongrove Mon 02-Dec-19 12:56:46

Specki4....do give it up, it was actually you that quite out of the blue unleashed ‘a tirade’ against me, as anyone can read on here.
Thankfully, I have never noticed your name before either.