Gransnet forums

News & politics

2021 census

(15 Posts)
Chestnut Wed 04-Dec-19 23:31:50

There is often confusion because people don't understand the difference between nationality and ethnic group. This has come up on another thread. If you are born here your nationality is British, but your ethnic group is your bloodline.

prestbury Wed 04-Dec-19 23:19:57

I don't understand the fuss. From the BBC link it appears that you could tick the Welsh box and then tick an alternative box for ethnic origin, what is the issue?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 04-Dec-19 18:39:18

I have a Scottish father and Welsh mother. I consider myself a ........mongrel!

M0nica Wed 04-Dec-19 18:31:52

I am half-English, half Irish, although my Irish grandfathers surname - and mine was Scottish, suggesting my ancestors may have been Scottish immigrants to Ulster after the Flight of the Earls, British and European

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 18:04:00

I am Scottish, British and European and I hope that will not change.

As for colour I am a very pale pink most of the time, with freckles, and have always kept out of the sun, but I know that there are others who are Scottish, British and European who's complexions may range from olive to pitch black.

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 16:04:06

You’re

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 16:03:41

I read a post once about a Muslim women chatting with a friend at Cardiff station when a man turned round and said to her ‘speak English, your in England now’.

Another woman intervened and said ‘Actually they are not in England, this is Wales and they are speaking Welsh!’

Anniebach Wed 04-Dec-19 15:51:49

So Kizzy Crawford and I born in the same registration district,
I can be white Welsh but she has to be black British . grrrrrrr.

Ilovecheese Wed 04-Dec-19 15:44:30

Quote from the news site
"
Calls have been made for the next census to include the specific ethnic groups black Welsh and Asian Welsh.

In the 2021 survey, people will be given several options about identity.

This includes an option in the ethnic group section for white Welsh, but campaigners are angry that in the black ethnic group option, there is no black Welsh option, only black British.

The Office for National Statistics, which is responsible for the census, said it had consulted with the public.

But singer Kizzy Crawford said she wanted to see the option black Welsh included in the section on ethnicity on the census, which comes out every 10 years."

ayse Wed 04-Dec-19 13:15:21

I wish I knew why I can’t be English on the census if there are so many other categories. I wonder who dreams up this nonsense?

Too much nitpicking imo.

yggdrasil Wed 04-Dec-19 13:03:57

I'm not Welsh, but it looks like I won't be able to fill in an ethnicity either. Every one of my grandparents came from a different country.

Anniebach Wed 04-Dec-19 12:40:12

It was on BBC News at 6.00 yesterday

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50643415

Jabberwok Wed 04-Dec-19 12:32:12

Oh Annie,surely not!!!!

Charleygirl5 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:29:08

I am probably no longer Scottish because I live in London and have done for many years!

Anniebach Wed 04-Dec-19 12:16:23

It was reported on the news yesterday that we can say we are
Welsh but only if we are white

This can’t be true surely?