Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit dividing my family.

(432 Posts)
iluvsylvanianfamilies51 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:10:03

I voted leave in 2016 and had no idea it would come to this. I really think this country has never felt more divided. Walking on eggshells when discussing things with friends, family, neighbours. Not wanting to offend but not wanting to back down. It is horrible.

What makes me sad is that it feels like families are splintered and there's so much resentment. Grandkids all voted remain and kids voted remain and leave. All have arguments about it all the time and I feel them getting more closed off to each other.I t is unbearably sad. We shouldnt be divided like this.

I'm sure others feel the same but the reason I post is because my granddaughter sent me this video and I think it articulates it really well. You may not like Labour or momentum but I think we will agree that this tension between leave/remain leaves us weaker. And when I voted in 2016 I didn't think it would be so drawn out. I feel embarrassed about that

twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1202573131606573056

I have been on the fence about who to vote for but I despise Johnson for his comments on single mothers (AND his racism!) and I think Labour are the best chance we have to get a better leave deal and bring our country back together again. In 2015 I never expected political division to make living rooms tense and communities divided. I wish we could have it back and this stalemate to be over.

EthelJ Wed 11-Dec-19 13:02:56

crystaltipps same with my EU national son in law. My thought was not only do they have dangerous views they are also so disorganised they can't even be bothered to check the electoral register to see who is eligible to vote.

crystaltipps Wed 11-Dec-19 05:27:33

My DiL ( EU citizen, been here since aged 4, medic in NHS ) yesterday received an election flyer, posted to her name and address, from the Brexit party. She can’t vote in the GE. We joked that it must have been the toilet paper she ordered.

stevenk Wed 11-Dec-19 05:09:49

What the french think about Brexit!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLe9qhpBF8

Greeneyedgirl Tue 10-Dec-19 20:01:19

I have always displayed political posters before an election and have done so this time but feel very uneasy because this election has not felt like previous ones because of the level of hatred and aggression which people feel entitled to display. This may have been felt by some but was not as overt prior to Brexit.

I agree we used to be a tolerant nation, but no longer. Even after the election I fear things will not improve because now it's out of the bottle.......I feel very depressed.

varian Tue 10-Dec-19 19:25:39

Well done you Labaik for wearing these T shirts, standing up for what you (and the majority of us in the UK) believe - stopping brexit.

Who exactly are these cowardly hooligans trying to intimidate you?

Brainwashed readers of the rightwing press?

Labaik Tue 10-Dec-19 19:09:13

I get abuse hurled at me if I wear anti Brexit t shirts etc so I can sympathise with how some people feel. Never worried about wearing anything political before.

EthelJ Tue 10-Dec-19 13:31:01

All I can say Labaik is that until Brexit the European people I know felt welcome and safe and now they don't. It's as though it has unleashed a horrible part of society

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 23:14:45

I've pointed out oh here some of the sad letters I've seen on facebook from people that have had nasty comments made to them because of their name, accent or colour, but a lot of people just choose to ignore it and refuse to believe that Brexit has made things so much worse.

EthelJ Mon 09-Dec-19 23:10:32

It was vey upsetting maddyone which is why I get upset when people forget the impact that Brexit has on those EU citizens who have lived here many years and made a life here. And how unwelcome many of them feel now, And now we have Mr Johnson saying for too long EU citizens living here have treated the UK as their home. Well thats because it is their home.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 20:11:47

We used to be such a tolerant country. I'm so ashamed of what is happening now sad.

maddyone Mon 09-Dec-19 19:54:14

That must have been horrible Ethel, I would feel sad under such circumstances.

EthelJ Mon 09-Dec-19 18:42:20

Also to the PPs who have complained about remoaners when your 6 year old grandson asks as mine did if he would have to leave the country because he wasn't born here I think you might also moan and feel sad.

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 17:54:40

Labaik - the way I talk? I have no idea what you mean. I haven't mentioned immigration or related it to Brexit.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 17:49:55

Chestnut; the way you talk makes me think that Brexit must really be about immigration but people keep telling me that it isn't so I don't know what to believe...

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 17:42:15

Although I disagree, most EU immigrants, like Poles - have made sure they learnt the language quickly,
Disagree with what? You are forming your own conclusions and creating an argument where there is none.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 17:34:28

But I am afraid that Anglo-Saxons from either side of the pond are well-known for not making the effort to learn the language of where they settle- and expect others to speak English.
But that does happen often as I know when I visit Australia. Because many Europeans settled there, they tended to stay near those whose language they knew and continued to speak Italian/Croatian/Greek etc. European shops, restaurants, very many Catholic schools.
It is only the next generations who went to school there who are fluent in both, speaking English at home and their parents' language at home.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:33:00

yes- so oh the irony and hypocrisy. That those people left, often stating the above behaviour - and then going on to do the same and worse- somewhere else (mind you as the British always have done everywhere they went).

Although I disagree, most EU immigrants, like Poles - have made sure they learnt the language quickly, even if 'only' spoken/communicative- and their kids generally go to the local schools and they attend their local Catholic Church.

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 17:26:00

Living parralel lives, own shops, own restaurants, own tradesmen, own private schools and even Churches - like ghettos
Exactly what is happening here......

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:13:35

Callistemon ''Well, we all know ill-mannered people of all nationalities - they are the kind of English people who give the rest of the English a bad name.''

of course, I know many notable exceptions. But I am afraid that Anglo-Saxons from either side of the pond are well-known for not making the effort to learn the language of where they settle- and expect others to speak English. Zurich ad Geneva are full of them - even after 10, 20 and more years. The Costas too - many of them after 10, 20 or more years. Sad fact. Living parralel lives, own shops, own restaurants, own tradesmen, own private schools and even Churches - like ghettos.

EthelJ Mon 09-Dec-19 16:13:18

Do you condemn all leave voters because some rather rude ones behave so appallingly

No but I do blame them for helping to create a culture when such people feel they can say these terrible things. And one family member shared a terrible joke about people packing up and leaving the UK. I do blame them especially when they know my Son in law and Grandchildren were born in the EU. Those attitudes have left me not wanting to talk to some extended family members.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 14:55:46

No, it was later than that, late 1980s I think.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 14:54:27

Less than 15% speak much Welsh in that area although that is increasing as it is a compulsory language up to GCSE now.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 14:54:19

maybe they were there at the same time- 1971 or 72.

We blew the gasket on the car on the way back and could not afford to repair or replace (oh I wish we could have kept it and repaired later- TR4)

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 14:51:40

Yes, spelling is correct jura

DH applied for a job there too - and it had already been earmarked for an internal candidate. hmm

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 14:27:19

years and years ago, OH applied for a job in Abergavenny (sp?) - and didn't get it (the job had been given already and they were just interviewing to follow procedure- so annoying).

I have wondered at times what it would have been like to live in Wales- quite similar to my part of Switzerland, the Jura. One thing is for sure, priority number one would have been to learn the language, and fast. So totally agree.