Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tonight’s Leaders Debate

(47 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 06-Dec-19 21:38:38

Boris -v- Corbyn

Anybody else underwhelmed? I’ve had enough of all these tv interviews now. Bring on Election Day!

GracesGranMK3 Sat 07-Dec-19 13:36:31

Looks like the Russians are on Labours side.

Absolute rubbish. Firstly this was not done by "the Russians". If it is shown to be the same as past interference it is Putin up to his tricks again. Just because a country is run by an egomaniac does not mean they are bad people. The Russians are not bad people. Putin has used misinformation on them to confuse them, just as Johnson does with us and for the same reasons, so they can stay in power. We have had countries run by egomaniacs in the past and they were still full of a majority of good people. The USA is currently still full of good people and, should Mr Johnson get elected, we will still be full of good people.

So, Putin uses real information, spread in a way to confuse. Who should be dealing with this? Johnson, using the same tactics, tries to make a case for the antisemitism in this country being only Corbyn's responsibility. His foot soldiers have already started doing the same with this.

Why hasn't the report Maizie mentioned been published? It's because Johnson, like Putin, like Trump, uses real information, withheld, as a weapon against his own people.

No one has said this is not an accurate document, a document that is exactly what it purports to be. So who is supposed to find out where the leak was? Johnson will make out it should be Corbyn who has no access to the government. It is Johnson's responsibility.

Who will Johnson blame this time? Because it is very certain he will never admit to responsibility for anything. Certainly not government leaks. Not with wives, not with children, not with Ireland and not with bad things happening to us either. The man is on a par with Putin and Trump, although maybe not as clever.

varian Sat 07-Dec-19 12:53:27

Don't forget that Putin and Trump have always supported brexit, Farage and Johnson

MaizieD Sat 07-Dec-19 12:23:52

I'm sure that if that had been the case Johnson would have released the report on Russian interference in our politics and had it trumpeted all over the media.

I wonder why he hasn't done that? hmm

GracesGranMK3 Sat 07-Dec-19 12:17:49

His blistering attack prompted thunderous applause from the studio audience, who were otherwise relatively muted during the hour-long programme.

My goodness, your imagination is running wild. There was never more than a smattering of applause which is exactly what you would expect. The audience had been carefully chosen to be representative. Your unconscious bias (or prejudice) is working overtime.

varian Sat 07-Dec-19 12:00:13

I am sure that, if they'd been given the chance, Jo Swinson, Caroline Lucas or Nicola Sturgeon could have beaten both of them easily.

Fiachna50 Sat 07-Dec-19 11:32:04

Didn't watch , no interest in any of them. I will just read the manifestos and make up my mind on the day.

Charleygirl5 Sat 07-Dec-19 11:13:45

Callistemon take it from me, you did not miss much!

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 11:01:14

Oh dear, we missed it because we were out enjoying ourselves.

sad

Urmstongran Sat 07-Dec-19 10:09:06

Could you imagine us lot having a debate around the table? It would descend into chaos!
?

We would need a firm moderator to hold us in check. Maw would do a good job I think. She wouldn’t stand for any nonsense!
?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Dec-19 09:25:00

No JenniferE, that wasn't was said. He said at some time they will have served their sentence and then be released, in the meantime the probation must be be made fit for purpose by spending more money on it and bringing it back into public ownership. Also there should be more emphasis put on de-radicalising more monitoring and making sure they are safe for release. He said you just can't, however much we wish, just leave them to rot in prison because at sometime they will be released.

The person who is a threat to this country is Boris and hisBrexit will solve everything plan.

Charleygirl5 Sat 07-Dec-19 09:21:23

If Boris told me today was Saturday I am afraid I would have to check with my diary- that is how much I trust him.

Anniebach Sat 07-Dec-19 08:44:52

He campaigned to have an IRA member sentenced in England for murder classed - a political prisoner.

JenniferEccles Sat 07-Dec-19 08:40:35

Corbyn doesn’t think terrorists should serve their full prison sentence.

That sums up his whole approach to security.

The man is a serious threat to our country.

Anniebach Sat 07-Dec-19 08:37:29

Corbyn made a speech in N.I. stating he supports a United Ireland, this not in his years of supporting the IRA. but as leader of the Labour Party.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:35:44

Except that it was the reverse of the truth

Urmstongran Sat 07-Dec-19 08:33:49

Also the best bit for me was Boris saying:

‘'I do find it slightly curious to be lectured about the Union between Great Britain and Northern Ireland by a man who all his political life has campaigned to break up that Union and who supported for four decades the IRA in their campaign violently to destroy it. I must say I find it a curiosity.'

His blistering attack prompted thunderous applause from the studio audience, who were otherwise relatively muted during the hour-long programme.

It was mostly boring. If you didn’t watch it, you didn’t miss much!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:22:25

gg13

Are you saying that because we are being told that the document was leaked to Corbyn by a Russian, we should discount the contents of the document?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:16:44

Urmstongran that has just been reported on BBC Breakfast News and confirmed by Reddit who have suspended 61 (?) accounts.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:14:35

Neither were convincing, I am voting on local issues, have an excellent constituency MP, fingers crossed they get Re-elected.

Urmstongran Sat 07-Dec-19 08:13:57

That top-secret government dossier brandished by Jeremy Corbyn as proof Boris Johnson plans to sell off the NHS was leaked on Reddit by Russia, the social media platform said last night.

Sara65 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:09:02

Whitewavemrk2

I actually agree with that, but it doesn’t mean I trust either of them, because I don’t!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:01:28

Most people consider Corbyn more trustworthy than Johnson.

Mind you Johnson sets a pretty low bar.

Sara65 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:00:54

Pantglas

I agree, the tories have a massive majority here, so me not voting is unlikely to have an affect unless a lot of people feel the same.

Me, my husband and our three adult children have always voted conservative, this time it will only be my husband, but that’s more to do with fearing a country with Corbyn in charge.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Dec-19 07:55:41

Not all the sources ug

The one showing Johnson ahead is run by the Tories.

Funny that

Urmstongran Sat 07-Dec-19 07:53:42

Funny how all the sources you quote show Corbyn ahead in the debate WWmk2! Sky News & the Telegraph show differently, for example, plus others.

Pretty much neck and neck then.

I’ll be glad when it’s Friday!