Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tactical voting guide

(13 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 09:15:32

Some information for those wanting to stop a disastrous right wing government.

t.co/vcrjF4NkTw?amp=1

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 09:56:34

This is a better and clearer site

tactical.vote/compare

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 10:11:36

I do think there is something very odd about voting to stop something rather than following one's own convictions and accepting the free will of fellow voters.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 10:22:00

If the voting system was fair I would absolutely agree with you kitty

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 12:08:09

Peter Kyle
@peterkyle
This is an election like no other so we need to be smarter or a majority voting for a referendum will deliver Boris Johnson’s Brexit.

If you’re a Labour supporter living where we have no hope of winning, think differently this once for our country’s sake

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 15:01:03

You would think it was fair if labour won though.

And, I dont think people fought to win the vote just so the voting could be manipulated. It seems rather against the spirit of it really!

jura2 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:05:07

I am afraid Kitty- the British First Past the Post system is the culprit here- and therefore voting tactically makes perfect sense.

NanKate Sun 08-Dec-19 15:11:47

I agree with you Kitty ?

MiniMoon Sun 08-Dec-19 15:12:43

It's no use voting tactically in this constituency.
Predominantly a farming community, the Conservative candidate, whoever they may be, always get elected here.
I tend to be a floating voter, and vote for the candidate who's policies I like the best.

Shelmiss Sun 08-Dec-19 15:18:04

This is a good guide for tactical voting, and asks questions such as who to vote for in your constituency in order to either:

- get Corbyn out
- get Johnson out
- remain
- leave
- second referendum

Etc etc......

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tactical-voting-guide-who-should-i-back-in-the-general-election-53z9klrbw

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:28:50

kitty no I wouldn’t. There is something very rotten happening to our democracy.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:40:15

kittylester, it's not anything new. My parents, although strong Labour supporters, always voted Liberal as an anti-Tory vote (way back in the 1950/60s). A Labour vote would have been a total waste in the area. Everyone should know how their local area stands and who the main candidates are.

Given complete freedom of choice, I would vote Green. I believe we are in real danger of catastrophic destruction during our grandchildren's lifetimes. Here, however, the present and immediate aim is to keep our Labour councillor in post.

jura2 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:44:09

Indeed Hetty. I voted Green in our last Cantonal and Federal elections recently, where I live in my native Switzerland. Two of my young friends, one male, one female - were elected at both local and national elections. Wonderful to be able to vote for relatively minority parties, and know your vote will count.
Yes, even if it means right-wing parties too... c'est la vie- but they were the ones that lost out to the Greens, so that is great.