Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jo Swinson

(221 Posts)
TiggyW Mon 09-Dec-19 22:53:17

This will probably put the cat amongst the pigeons, but here goes!confused
The more I see Jo Swinson on TV, the more I think why does she want such a high profile job when she has two young children at home who must hardly ever see her?
I’m not saying she shouldn’t have a career, I just wonder why she doesn’t want to be with her family. She could have a high-powered career when her children are older. I don’t see the point in having children and then missing their important early years.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 10:59:54

I would just say.. "ask the children what they would like best, see mum occasionally but have more money or see mum daily

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 11:04:52

Did you click on "Post message" too early SirChenjin?

I'm very saddened by the comments from women who still seem to think a woman's place is in the home.

CosyCrafter Tue 10-Dec-19 11:04:59

It has been reported that working mothers make their children more independent, confident and recognise a work ethic. I guess JS does miss her children and maybe uses the time she does spend with them really count. That aside in this day and age when we are still fighting for women to be paid equally to not be abused if their political persuasion does not suit or not to be abused by powerful men in various industry. All women should have the right to choose what they do if they can, how many decades of female struggles does it take not to be judged and not by especially by other Women! Every woman who has worked whether full time part time when they have children feels some measure of guilt and sadness at certain times they deal with becassue they are working to make a better life which includes if work makes you a happier person .

Shortlegs Tue 10-Dec-19 11:05:27

I wouldn't fret too much, come Friday she will probably (hopefully) be on the slippery slope out.

Nanny27 Tue 10-Dec-19 11:13:25

The reason I focused on 'mums' in my comment was that we were discussing Jo Swindon and when I last looked she was a woman. Had we been discussing a man I would have adjusted my comment accordingly

Nanny27 Tue 10-Dec-19 11:13:45

Swinson

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 11:17:21

And yet no-one has discussed male politicians, have they? Not on this thread, not on any thread recently. As usual, it’s a woman coming in for criticism from other women - terrible double standards in 2019.

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 11:23:42

I worked full-time from the time my children were six months old. I didn't have much choice, but I would never have chosen to be a "stay at home" mother because I would have gone bonkers.

That really doesn't mean that I didn't love my children and I don't believe they have suffered long-term. When my marriage broke up when the younger child was three, it meant I still had a career and didn't have to rely on benefits. The person who suffered most was me because I had to do a demanding full-time job and be the best mother I could be. My children's father squirmed out of paying maintenance.

Eventually, my health suffered, but the hardest thing has been the judgmental bats, who seem to think I did it all for my own self-gratification and are against anything which makes parents' lives easier.

So what would you have criticised Jo Swinson for, if she'd been a man Nanny27?

Minerva Tue 10-Dec-19 11:24:36

When my son was about 8 and I was telling him that we couldn’t afford something he was asking for, I foolishly asked him what he would rather have, mum at home at the end of the school day with freshly baked buns waiting for children to ice and eat or mum out of the house at 7.30 am, kids at the childminder until Bath time and more money. Yes he went for the latter and he wasn’t laughing.

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 11:30:45

Children of that age often prefer the company of their friends rather than their parents. They want to fit in with their peers and that often means wearing the right clothes, having the same computer games and being able to talk about holidays rather than eating home-made scones.

Carolpaint Tue 10-Dec-19 11:32:26

What a awful thing to say. Having had a career am proud of my two children's work ethic, we lead by example, not by over sentimentalisation of childhood.

Blinko Tue 10-Dec-19 11:41:15

Must admit, the more I see and hear of JS the more I warm to her. She comes across as an honest politician and her party has shown an honest approach, for instance to how they intend to fund their manifesto promises.

As for the OP, I worked when my children were small, as my OH was made redundant when our DS2 was three months old. It was work or benefits for us. I think we made the right choice in the circs.

As others have remarked, JS can well afford childcare. It's just a shame most people are not in that position.

knspol Tue 10-Dec-19 11:44:41

IMO some of the posts on this thread just show that women can be their own worst enemies. As someone commented earlier we are in the 21st century.

Nanny27 Tue 10-Dec-19 12:20:54

If you read my posts growstuff you'll see that I never criticised Jo Swinson. That was the op. All I said was that when we are discussing the rights of mothers we should also consider the rights and wishes of children. Hard to believe you can criticise me for that.

Anrol Tue 10-Dec-19 12:22:01

Hallelujah PoppyRed and N27, I’m with you all the way. The selflessness of being a parent seems to have been overtaken by the me, me, me, must have world we live in. I do worry about emotional damage unwittingly being done to children who spend large portions of their developmental years with others who are not their relatives or parents.

SummerJ Tue 10-Dec-19 12:24:45

I despair with some of the comments on this thread. In 2019 we should not be questioning the role of a working woman as oppose to a man, the way a woman dresses, as oppose to a man, and condemning a woman for doing her best and trying to make a difference in a divided country!
With JS what you see is what you get! I genuinely believe she is honest and trustworthy. Yes, maybe she does lack experience in a leading role but then doesn't everyone have to learn how to fit into a newly promoted position? She has certainly had to deal with some aggressive rhetoric and leading questions during the debates!
And if I hear the comment about Lib Dems being undemocratic again I shall scream! This debate has been flogged to death. Surely with all the evidence we have now and on the knowledge we have gained you cannot rely on a referendum based on lies and untruths from both sides? On my understanding JS only went for the revoke line as the Lib Dems had tried for a second vote 17 times and if, during the general election, the electorate voted for her party that would be a mandate for this action. Maybe this concept was too difficult for many to grasp but, even though I didn't fully agree at the time, I do understand where she was coming from. I respect a politician who can adapt to circumstance and I don't see it as a weakness if you go back to 'Plan A'! Compromise is good!

Ol66 Tue 10-Dec-19 12:37:14

Nicola Sturgeon always looks smart and businesslike. Maybe I go to the wrong weddings but her outfits are things I’d wear for work, not a wedding!

I don’t like Jo Swinson’s politics, she was a staunch supporter of austerity bills, but her career and wardrobe choices are up to her.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 12:37:42

Anrol you have at least acknowledged that parents plural (when there are 2 parents involved) are responsible for raising children, not mums. If it reassures you, my eldest 2 children are now in their twenties and seem remarkably unscathed by being put into nursery by their parents from a very early age. If you have any questions about this ‘unwitting emotional damage’ that DH and I might have caused them please just ask - I’m happy to answer them.

Mollygo Tue 10-Dec-19 12:40:56

I can’t criticise her for being a working mum anymore than I’d criticise her husband for not being a stay at home dad. Having voted Lib-dem for many years, this time they told me they no longer want me in the party because I don’t support their views on the child abuse that goes on under the name of gender identity or the rights of women being as important as the rights of Trans. (I don’t suppose they’d mind my vote though.)
However, I think you can count on Jo Swinson to be a true politician.
I listened to the end of an interview with her when she said that she would review/reconsider her stance on one of the Lib-Dem claims if she was elected.

Don’t they all?

sodapop Tue 10-Dec-19 12:59:57

Hear hear SirChenjin why is it assumed that small children can only be successfully cared for by their mothers.

tickingbird Tue 10-Dec-19 13:00:23

TiggyW I totally agree with you. Children are precious and those early years are so important.

As for male politicians- well they don’t give birth fo they? I have no time for social engineering and believe that mothers are vitally important for children’s wellbeing. If a mum has to work out of financial necessity then she deserves all the help she can get. I know plenty, including some in my own family, that went back to work when baby was 6 weeks and it was because they wanted the big detached house, big car and expensive holidays. In other words living beyond their means and latch key kids the result.

Fire away......

missdeke Tue 10-Dec-19 13:03:44

I can't understand why anyone would choose to go to work instead being with their young children, but I do understand that most of the time these days nobody has a choice. Getting back to Jo Swinson though I'm not impressed, she gives me the impression of being self important.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 13:06:33

OK tickingbird - what would you like to ask my husband and I, as parents who both worked (and continue to work) when our children were young? Not for the big detached house etc, but to put food on the table and to pay the bills. Even if it was to pay for expensive holidays, that would be no-one else's business to judge, of course.

jennyvg Tue 10-Dec-19 13:08:49

Tickingbird

I totally agree with you, apparently Poppyred has a rock perhaps we might be able to squeeze under with her?

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 13:10:50

I think you should.