News & politics

Workington Man has spoken

(32 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Fri 13-Dec-19 07:40:20

So be it! But god help us all.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 22:30:38

Thanks Iam64.

Iam64 Fri 13-Dec-19 22:25:15

I think varian would prefer we didn’t have fptp as it means Parliament often isn’t representative. I agree with that proposition

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:32:30

And would you have felt that way if Labour had been elected yesterday?

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:27:34

Under pour undemocratic voting system, that is true. It should be reformed as it causes huge damage to our country.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 20:24:06

But, as was posted on another thread varian, those 50 million either didn't collude with each other as to where their votes would be best placed to keep the Conservatives out or they didn't vote at all. Either way, insufficient people voted for the Labour Party/Lib Dems/SNP to have a significant enough affect on the outcome.

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:16:49

The will of which people? Not the 50+ million in the UK who never voted for brexit, nor the majority who voted against his party yesterday.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Dec-19 16:54:52

What I meant was that an election was his only chance of, to coin a phrase, get Brexit done.

There was a stalemate wasn’t there and he did say he didn’t really want a Dec election but it was his only way to fulfill the will of the people.

Thankfully it paid off wonderfully.

Alexa Fri 13-Dec-19 16:34:41

Workington Man trusted Johnson so Johnson had better deliver or the Tories will loose badly five years from now.

Boris's slogans are past now and he will have to do a lot of good to please Workington Man. Let's see how Boris shapes up!

Yehbutnobut Fri 13-Dec-19 16:23:21

A great opportunity missed!

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 14:40:36

overthehill and Septimia ?? Agreed.

A good result last night, am very happy about it.Some are not....well, that’s how it goes at election time, you can’t please everyone.There’ll be another one along in five years.

growstuff Fri 13-Dec-19 14:36:44

"Workington Man" (and "Woman") will just have to take it on the chin. No blaming anybody else now!

PS. One of the biggest mistakes politicians have made is to think that an old-fashioned "working class" still exists.

growstuff Fri 13-Dec-19 14:34:17

Septimia Politics is about caring for each other.

growstuff Fri 13-Dec-19 14:32:49

What on earth are you on about JenniferEccles?

Johnson didn't have this election forced on him. He knew very well that the FPTP system and the way Brexit votes were distributed that he'd have a very good chance of winning. He goaded Labour until he got his way.

The Conservative vote increased by just 268,836 from 2017.

The LibDems increased by 1,290,387, but they lost two seats.

I doubt very much whether you're Johnson's confidante, so I doubt if you know whether he's aware of his responsibility.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Dec-19 13:13:47

I honestly don’t think it was solely about Brexit.
Yes it played a part but the fact is very few voters fell for Labour’s lies.

Corbyn was the worst Labour leader EVER. Labour supporters themselves said that.

We have dodged a bullet, well actually a whole artillery of bullets.

Boris is well aware of the responsibility he has not to let us down.

He had this election forced on him but thank goodness the gamble paid off .

I’m sure even those not happy with the result will realise in time that the best party by far won.

Yehbutnobut Fri 13-Dec-19 12:59:54

Workington man is not just white and working class GG3 he’s knocking on a bit and hasn’t a degree, by definition.

The irony Ug which seems to have escaped you is that Workington did turn blue.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 13-Dec-19 10:06:17

Yep. The white working class has voted for Brexit but I do wonder if they are prepared for everything else that comes with this vast Tory majority.

Having read these people on here and other threads they will support this government as long as it hurts everyone else but them.

EllanVannin Fri 13-Dec-19 10:06:00

I remember my mum years ago going hairless when we joined the Common Market, she never let up about it and at the time I wasn't fully conversant with its meaning, but she hadn't been happy with it.

Alexa Fri 13-Dec-19 10:01:53

But it will be more difficult to care for each other now the poor will be deprived of a decent NHS, meaningful work, public open spaces, and quality education for all.

How can we care for people with no homes unless the government builds council houses?

Septimia Fri 13-Dec-19 09:54:46

Couldn't believe the turnaround when the Blyth Valley result came in! Then Workington, Sedgefield, Bishop Auckland. And we got rid of our Labour MP - I respected her Labour predecessors, but not her.

I'm sure it's not all been about Brexit, although I agree with overthehill. I'm thankful that some people are intelligent enough to realise how dangerous Corbyn is.

Whatever our opinions, though, we all need forget politics now and concentrate on caring about each other.

overthehill Fri 13-Dec-19 09:20:24

Thank goodness we got the right result. People like me who voted Leave and expected it to happen were treated like pariahs. We had a democratic vote which remainers tried to totally ignore by putting every obstical in the way of getting it done. If we had left ages ago it would have all been sorted by now and settled down, but at least there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

Alexa Fri 13-Dec-19 09:04:03

Urmstongran, there are a few really good men who are Conservatives .

Urmstongran Fri 13-Dec-19 08:36:56

I think you’re wrong there ybnb

But why the sneering/laughter directed towards Workington Man?

So much for caring & kindness! Seems only if you vote Labour.

Yehbutnobut Fri 13-Dec-19 08:23:47

It’s Workington Man himself who has been well and truly shafted ???

Grany Fri 13-Dec-19 08:21:29

Well it's a sad carry on people voting for Johnson Brexit when there is so much that needs fixing caused by Johnson and co. People believe the mainly right wing bias newspapers believe what they hear in media instead of reading the manifesto.

Trump said a lucrative deal with U.K will be better than the EU and who's going to benefit not the UK. Johnson does not give a stuff about ordinary people just the richest so his Brexit won't help the people who voted for him.

Iam64 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:12:36

A dreadful result for those on the margins, the working poor and more worryingly, for all our public services including the police and NHS.

Interesting though , that as in the USA there seems to be an unholy alliance between the capitalists and the working people.