Gransnet forums

News & politics

Radio 4, Media Show 18.12.19. Bias in the election media

(4 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 18-Dec-19 19:43:26

Interesting show. Media data was tracked and compared for 2017 and 2019 elections.

Newspaper articles were biased / very anti Labour 66% MORE in this election. They favoured / were pro Tory propaganda TWICE as much this time round.

Please note, before some try to deny this, this was independent data complied by an independent company.

Lyndylou Wed 18-Dec-19 21:45:33

Personally I made my voting decision before the election was even announced, let alone the start of newspaper articles and TV programmes. I don't like the implication that if the media had been more biased towards Labour the outcome would have been different. It seems to be saying that Tory voters made the "wrong" decision.

Maybe GagaJo the media would have been more pro Labour if they had had a leader people could relate to; a realistic manifesto and a definite approach to getting Brexit over the line.

varian Thu 19-Dec-19 00:12:35

Media bias is very effective. Was it not the case that The Sun, which is the best-selling newspaper, supported Thatcher in 1979 and Blair in 1997?

GagaJo Thu 19-Dec-19 08:18:07

Lyndylou Wed 18-Dec-19 21:45:33
Maybe GagaJo the media would have been more pro Labour if they had had a leader people could relate to

Of course they wouldn't. They are OWNED by extreme right-wing capitalist moguls. The Daily Mail supported HITLER in WW2 for gods sake! Hence its nickname, The Daily Heil. The supporter of the Nazis is hardly going to cross the political divide, is it!

The point I was making is that the media in an obvious and very deliberate way influences electoral results.

Yes, Varian. I remember only too well.