Gransnet forums

News & politics

Racism in the government

(4 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 21-Dec-19 00:53:31

Boris Johnson has been accused of running a government that “rewards racism” after the appointment of Zac Goldsmith to the House of Lords and the decision to keep him on as environment minister.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), which criticised Goldsmith’s mayoral campaign in 2016 for smearing Sadiq Khan, said honouring him with a lifetime peerage raised serious questions about the party’s commitment to tackling Islamophobia.

Same old, same old. Old boy network rewards failure AND overlooks overt racism.

ladymuck Sat 21-Dec-19 06:55:55

Was Sadiq Khan criticised for his policies...or was it more personal? It is too easy to accuse someone of being racist, when in fact their comments may well be perfectly justified. This is one reason why people are reluctant to say anything against someone who is non-white for fear of being branded racist.
Many people dislike Khan, not because of his race but simply because of his personality.

Davidhs Sat 21-Dec-19 07:45:23

There are always going to be accusations of race, religious or gender bias or discrimination, it’s a fact of life in our diverse society. The leaders of religious groups are not blameless doing much to stir up trouble.

Urmstongran Sat 21-Dec-19 07:59:10

Many people dislike Khan, not because of his race but simply because of his personality

That’s me ladymuck I had high hopes for this Labour mayor. Sadly I’ve been disappointed. I hope this man is elected next year:

Conservatives - Shaun Bailey

Tory candidate Shaun Bailey, 48, is the son of a lorry driver, whose grandfather came to Britain from Jamaica as part of the Windrush generation.

Bailey joined the Army cadets while still a teenager and remained with them for another 10 years.

In 2006, he co-founded MyGeneration, a charity for young people, which closed in 2012 due to financial problems.