Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now that we are leaving the EU...

(90 Posts)
Greta Thu 30-Jan-20 14:35:51

What will our anti-EU media now spread lies/fake news about? Some posters have commented that it has been very quiet on the Brexit front of late. What will replace the ”blame the EU” stance for all our ills?

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 18:21:01

There’s no pleasing some people is there? I give up.
?

varian Fri 31-Jan-20 18:27:35

Believe it or not there are some countries which are democratic and their populations appreciate their own national politics and value their EU membership- e.g. The Netherlands, Sweden, Finland.

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 18:28:19

“The most important thing to say tonight is that this is not an end but a beginning. This is the moment when the dawn breaks and the curtain goes up on a new act. It is a moment of real national renewal and change.”

A taste of what Boris Johnson will tell the nation tonight in a video message to be released at 10pm GMT, an hour before the UK leaves the European Union.

varian Fri 31-Jan-20 18:29:10

Fraudulent sham corrupted politics is not something we should have to accept.

MaizieD Fri 31-Jan-20 18:30:50

I give up

Thank goodness.

MaizieD Fri 31-Jan-20 18:36:23

Everything is corrupt and fraudulant varian and the sooner you get used to it the better, then we can all stop hearing about it

Really, Chestnut??

So that's a positive benefit of Brexit is it? Everything is corrupt and fraudulent and that's our future?

Well, it disgusts me.

And I, and no doubt varian and others , will continue to point out every bit of the corrupt nastiness that pervades the country I once was very happy to be a citizen of.

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 18:39:59

Well there are millions of us who are still very happy and proud to be citizens of the UK. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live, and we are all damned lucky to live in such a wonderful country. If you don't like it here, feel free to move elsewhere, I doubt your constant moaning and negativity will be missed.

Hetty58 Fri 31-Jan-20 18:44:27

Surely, we need to be vigilant? We are lucky to live in the UK, of course, but we need to be mindful of the ever more transparent corruption, bias and plain incompetence of our government. They need to be called to account!

eazybee Fri 31-Jan-20 19:01:40

Fraudulent sham corrupted politics is not something we should have to accept.

So true.
Thank goodness we have a proper government at last.

Labaik Fri 31-Jan-20 19:42:03

'IIf you don't like it here, feel free to move elsewhere, I doubt your constant moaning and negativity will be missed'
...I am so sick of hearing that comment from leave voters. You don't own love of country and patriotism you know. .

Yennifer Fri 31-Jan-20 19:50:50

I am sure we will still have plenty of resident minorities for people to blame x

Ilovecheese Fri 31-Jan-20 19:53:15

I think you are correct Yennifer

Grammaretto Fri 31-Jan-20 20:21:13

I am really not hoping it will fail Urmstongran but that doesn't stop me feeling very sad that we are throwing away everything we have striven so hard to achieve over nearly 50 years.

Churchill was the first to want to create a United States of Europe, incidentally.

It, the EU, was getting too unwieldy its true, but surely we could have reformed the beast. But to throw our membership away in favour of USA and Chinese trade as the result of a token referendum, is a crying shame and makes me very sad.

Now Nicola is banging on about Indy Scotland and who's' next?.

The farmers are terrified they will lose their subsidies and we should all be terrified that the price of food and everything else will rise. Farmers (you know those people who grow our food) commit suicide at the rate of one per week.

I shall be celebrating the achievements of the past 47 years but not leaving the EU.

Jabberwok Fri 31-Jan-20 20:33:16

No, Churchill did not want a united states of Euope. 'With Europe but not of it'! Which is what we would all want!

ExperiencedNotOld Fri 31-Jan-20 20:40:41

What happened to just letting life roll on by? Why do people have to get so viciously angry and lash out instead of presenting a reasoned point of view. Whatever the end result of the referendum had been the ‘laws’ of economics mean that we’re bound to have good times and bad times in the future. Just do your best for yourself and those close to you. Don’t worry about things you can’t change.

Oopsminty Fri 31-Jan-20 20:44:18

Gorbachev's quote from the 90's speaks volumes

'The most puzzling development in modern politics is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.'

Rather interesting article here

www.rt.com/op-ed/359327-soviet-union-eu-history/

I doubt it will exist, as is, in the next 20 years

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 20:46:16

Well said ENO.

Grammaretto Fri 31-Jan-20 21:59:30

Jabberwok For what it's worth:
In this speech given after the end of the Second World War, Churchill concluded: We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living.

Sparkling Fri 31-Jan-20 22:05:27

So pleased we are now an Independant Country, didn't think I would see the day.

Yennifer Fri 31-Jan-20 22:59:29

We aren't an Independant country, we are the United Kingdom lol

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 23:23:08

MaizieD: So that's a positive benefit of Brexit is it? Everything is corrupt and fraudulent and that's our future?
Clearly humour goes straight over your head, Maizie. I was joking because varian posts ad nauseum about fraud and corruption, endlessly....on and on and on. Nothing new to say ever.

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 23:29:37

Sadly, I don't think humour is a particular trait of certain posters Chestnut, but your post made me smile anyway grin. Happy Brexit to all of us.

Dinahmo Fri 31-Jan-20 23:40:31

ExperiencedNotOld

"Just do your best for yourself and those close to you"

There are some of us who care about people outside our immediate circle which is why we worry.

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 23:58:14

Thank you Opal. The party is being held on the Interdependence day thread. You are invited! ?

Chestnut Sat 01-Feb-20 00:00:24

ha ha! Independence..... hic! ? ?