Gransnet forums

News & politics

This makes me want to weep

(62 Posts)
lucywinter Fri 31-Jan-20 11:52:20

so much kinder than our MEPS

Labaik Sat 01-Feb-20 16:54:31

I believe Farage is going to America to help his friend Trump who he admires greatly [or bigly]. What I would give to never see or hear anything of that vile man again.

Iam64 Sat 01-Feb-20 09:43:42

I'm sad we left and ashamed of Farage and co. No change there, I've always seen him as a loathsome, self opinionated idiot. I live in hope that now we are out of the EU, he'll get less of the oxygen of publicity.

I am English and European. None of that changes. I wish the referendum never happened, it has led to more division and anger than anything else in my life time. The leave campaign was dishonest, the remain campaign was hopeless. Three years on, I'm sure many feel relieved its finally done because it was dominating political debate to the exclusion of the real issues our country faces.

Dawn22 Sat 01-Feb-20 09:31:31

Blue bell
Brilliantly said at 5.54. Your last line = superior sum up of totally miserable situation.
Let the fun begin now ( bad joke).

GagaJo Sat 01-Feb-20 06:48:12

Exactly Bluebell. Well said.

BlueBelle Sat 01-Feb-20 05:54:42

Well it’s really brought the love out hasn’t it ?
What a -United- Kingdom we are
Sad, sad day, man against man and all to please a minority

Labaik Sat 01-Feb-20 00:25:50

'Hugh Grant is a prat. Who on earth would take any notice of him?'
...so, can you provide me with names of well known Brexit supporters who aren't prats? I can think of one and that's Susan Hill Then again why listen to Hugh Grant when you've got Wetherspoon, Jim Davidson, Katie Hopkins......

Ginny42 Sat 01-Feb-20 00:16:45

Really quizqueen? You have had such an awful life for the past 47 years? That was all down to the EU?

quizqueen Sat 01-Feb-20 00:11:15

I've been 'weeping' for the last 47 years because we've been in the EU.

Dawn22 Sat 01-Feb-20 00:02:48

That's it now. Isolated. Shame on those who brought it about.

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 23:40:24

Constantly repeating meaningless slogans is so boring

Yep, you should know Gagajo.

paddyanne Fri 31-Jan-20 23:32:47

Fabulous sign in lights on the EU Commission building
E
U
R
S C O T L A N D
P
E

With a red heart where the O is ,we will be back as the 28th Nation.While ENGLAND celebrated wrecking their future Scottish Streets have EU supporters in their thousands and the EU is doing what we wanted
#LeaveALightOnForScotland .

S C O T L A N D

GagaJo Fri 31-Jan-20 23:32:46

Oh use your own words FFS. Constantly repeating meaningless slogans is so boring.

Buffybee Fri 31-Jan-20 23:32:06

Hugh Grant was right when he said Britain's finished. God help us all now. That's all I'm saying.

Bloody Hilarious!! ? ??

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 23:29:41

Project Fear has gone into overdrive on this thread, still it is the thread set up for those who want to wallow in grief. ???

GagaJo Fri 31-Jan-20 23:17:35

I got that Urmstongran. My point, as you say, was a different one. Just because they're sorry to see us go doesn't mean we're not in a trade war now.

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 22:30:11

Oh of course Britain isn't finished!!! What a load of b******t.

merlotgran Fri 31-Jan-20 22:28:39

Hugh Grant is a prat. Who on earth would take any notice of him?

grannyrebel7 Fri 31-Jan-20 22:27:11

Hugh Grant was right when he said Britain's finished. God help us all now. That's all I'm saying.

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 22:19:46

Ah, you slightly missed the point I was making there GagaJo.

Of course we are now competitors with the E.U. I get that of course and expected it.

My point about Macron & the Dutch government was in reply to the OP ‘this makes me weep’ which referred to how kind they were being to us. My post said their kindness was short lived.

GagaJo Fri 31-Jan-20 22:09:44

MaizieD Fri 31-Jan-20 16:12:26
Have you totally failed to understand that we will be the EU's competitors after 11 pm this evening?

Exactly.

nannypink1 Fri 31-Jan-20 16:47:59
For Gods sake let’s have a bit of positivity instead of this constant doing down of the country ....it so depressing ..project fear alive and well still I see...

If the best you can do is ape the words of a despicable multi-millionaire who has moved ALL of his money overseas to protect it from Brexit, you don’t exactly make a convincing point.

Greta Fri 31-Jan-20 17:40:27
Isn't it a tragedy then that in such a wealthy country many of its citizens have to rely on foodbanks, sleep in our streets, rely on abysmal public transport, unable to even afford so called 'affordable' houses, waiting for weeks for a GP appointment...

Can’t see HOW we envisage that improving post Brexit either. Particularly as Savid Javid has backtracked on the end to austerity.

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 20:06:26
Macron is already giving out dire warnings and the Dutch are saying don’t buy British.

As MaszieD said at 16.12, of COURSE they are. We are the business competitors now. We left.

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Jan-20 22:04:04

It is, Callistemon. Of course it makes for a better headline.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 20:08:38

Maggiemaybe it's sad that they are the only ones who got any publicity.

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 20:06:26

Macron is already giving out dire warnings and the Dutch are saying don’t buy British.

Not missing us much then. Or being filled with kindnesses. The bonhomie lasted a few hours.....
?

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 18:56:48

Exactly Chestnut, who knows what our economy would look like now if we had never joined the EU? Something tells me we would have been a lot bloody better off if we hadn't been sending billions to them every year! grin

Labaik Fri 31-Jan-20 18:54:03

No; it isn't a ridiculous question. People voted to leave the EU in the belief that they would be better off by doing so; but there is no proof that this is the case. Perhaps a campaign saying 'we might be better off if we leave the EU' would have been more honest. Usually you only leave something if you know for a fact that you'd be better off by doing so? Especially if it doesn't just affect you personally but lots of other people too.