Gransnet forums

News & politics

Phillip Scofield Why all the Fuss

(440 Posts)
glammanana Fri 07-Feb-20 12:14:44

Why is his private life so important to everyone he is a lovely man and shouldn't have to explain himself to the media if he was the man next door would anyone be bothered I doubt it.

ananimous Mon 10-Feb-20 22:04:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

pinkquartz Mon 10-Feb-20 22:01:01

Trisher the grooming is being mentioned because MM was 10 years old when they first met
and PS mentors young gay men.....and indeed got MM the Runner job at ITV.

Doesn't sound quite so innocent like that does it?

ananimous Mon 10-Feb-20 21:08:33

hmm Or maybe John Leslie could take over? To give Phillip Scofield some time to get his sloppy story together...

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 21:06:09

You really can’t handle being wrong can you tickingbird ?

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 21:05:02

tickingbird why can’t you just admit you misread my post and on the basis of that misreading launched an attack on me that was completely without foundation? Completely without foundation.

Maxblank Mon 10-Feb-20 21:03:16

The only thing I find totally annoying is.... The brave man/what a brave man/he was so brave, etc etc

HE WASNT BRAVE he decided to come out, cos it suited him‽

Why after all these years... What's the real agenda here?

I heard Ruth was about to go complain about HIS bullying... Not sure if true (either!)

Maybe he got caught cottaging.... Hahahaha (look it up!)

This is not the 80s/90s, where being an outed gay was a brave move. He and his wife, decided to keep shtum ... Possibly to further his carer? Maybe. Back then when he started in the broom-cupboard with his hand up gordon, he knew he wouldn't have gotten the job if he was openly gay, and some of the other gigs he got.

There's definitely a reason why he chose to "come out" now.

Whatever his reasons... I don't care! No really I don't, even before he "outted" himself, I knew he was very camp, to say the least, I'd even say there are very few people ACTUALLY shocked by this.

But whatever, please stop calling him brave. It's 20 20, For god's sake, no one cares if.youre gay.

ananimous Mon 10-Feb-20 21:00:01

I always liked Ruth and Eamon with their banter

Anniebach Mon 10-Feb-20 20:55:02

Seems so tickingbird

seacliff Mon 10-Feb-20 20:52:18

Isn't it all a bit like the Prince Andrew situation? If PA slept with a woman who was over the legal age limit in the country they were in, that is not against the law. But if it were proved that she had been groomed, and he knew, I am not sure whether he would face charges. I assume so, in the USA. I am sure he won't go there in the near future.

With PS I have read some reports (these are only rumours) that he was "mentoring" this boy from a young age. Under age of consent.

I am not sure what to believe. When you find someone has been deceitful about one thing, it makes you doubt everything they say. Now all sorts of people are speaking up, and things that "media people" knew for years, are now becoming public. I agree it's all a bit sordid.

tickingbird Mon 10-Feb-20 20:48:41

By that reasoning Prince Andrew is a fine upstanding citizen. Afterall, he wasn’t cheating on his spouse but there’s been much gnashing of teeth on this forum regarding him and a 17 yr old female. Is it only ok if you’re gay?

trisher Mon 10-Feb-20 20:34:40

Callistemon The discussion was about referring to a man having a relationship with a younger person as a"dirty old man" apparently women who have such relationships are not "dirty old women" but just lucky. No mention of another relationship.

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 20:31:09

I’m waiting

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 20:30:33

tickingbird show me where I said PS was a role model - I damn well never ever did. Lea4n the difference between an A and an S

tickingbird Mon 10-Feb-20 20:03:17

tickingbird Mon 10-Feb-20 20:02:08

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 20:00:16

The problem with people like you tickingbird is that you’re so keen to attack me you don’t bother to read my posts properly.

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 19:59:21

It's fine for women and for men trisher but not behind a partner's back and being deceitful for years.

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 19:54:17

trisher Mon 10-Feb-20 19:54:09

So it's OK for women SalsaQueen but not for men. Why am I surprised? I should know by now that GN has more prejudice than any thing else so why not a bit of sexism?

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 19:50:38

Joan's Percy is much younger than her.
but I would think, from what I surmise of Joan, that both were single and not having affairs behind their spouses' backs.

tickingbird Mon 10-Feb-20 19:47:41

SalsaQueen Mon 10-Feb-20 19:46:52

Speaking with a little bit of knowledge..... when my youngest son was 23, his lady friend was 50, 2 years older than me then.
At 23, he wasn't an impressionable teenager. He was in a relationship with that lady for 9 years, until the age gap proved to be a little bit too much..............and yes, she was very lucky grin

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 18:59:50

Would a 51 year old woman with an 18 year old man be a "dirty old woman"?

No. Joan's Percy is much younger than her.

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 18:58:49

DD used to be in charge of the runners
They are gofers
Can you go fer this, go fer that, run, run, run

Just saying grin

Urmstongran Mon 10-Feb-20 18:44:41

Or from?