Gransnet forums

News & politics

The man is mad!

(154 Posts)
Fennel Sun 09-Feb-20 17:48:41

I don't enjoy entering the news and politics forums, but this news item shocked me:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7982525/Boris-Johnson-revives-20billion-plan-bridge-Scotland-Northern-Ireland.html
Especially today with the threat to bridges like the current storm.

SirChenjin Mon 10-Feb-20 18:28:31

Many might say daft, that is true...Boris says ‘putting the Great back into Britain!’ (and any other meaningless soundbite you can think of)

varian Mon 10-Feb-20 18:37:14

The bridge between Hong Kong and Macau is 34 miles long.

That does not mean we should try to compete by building a shorter bridge from Scotland to NI.

The UK economy is in dire straits. We need to spend taxpayers money on homes, schools, hospitals and public transport, not BJ vanity projects no more justifiable than his garden bridge.

Urmstongran Mon 10-Feb-20 18:54:50

Well, Ug says the Chinese can do it

And this afternoon on Sky News a woman (didn’t catch her name) Professor of Engineering from Warwick University was enthusiastic MaizieD.

MaizieD Mon 10-Feb-20 18:57:37

This is what is in the area

The survey is likely to confirm what British Gas discovered by accident: that many of the munitions meant for Beaufort’s Dyke never got there. Instead, they were dumped in shallow waters en route to the dyke by ships from Stranraer and Cumbria. Two seamen from Stranraer who sailed on dumping expeditions in the 1940s, John Balfour and Alfie Shingleston, have said that in poor weather, the ships discharged their cargoes no more than a few hundred metres off shore. “There is credible evidence that a significant amount of material never made it to the site,” says one scientist from the Marine Laboratory. He believes that munitions ended up in unauthorised dumps to the north and south of the dyke and possibly in the Solway Firth. “Out of sight, out of mind was the prime criterion at the time,” he says.

According to a letter sent by the MoD in June to researchers at the University of Liverpool, the MoD dispatched vast amounts of old weapons to Beaufort’s Dyke. The ministry dumped some 14,000 tons of 5-inch artillery rockets filled with poisonous phosgene gas in the trench between July and October 1945. Over the following three years, it consigned 135,000 tons of conventional munitions there, and every year “into the late 1950s” another 20,000 tons ended up in the dyke.

Read more: www.newscientist.com/article/mg14820042-200-the-ww2-bombs-dumped-off-western-scotland-washing-up-on-beaches/#ixzz6DZx5J0T1

www.newscientist.com/article/mg14820042-200-the-ww2-bombs-dumped-off-western-scotland-washing-up-on-beaches/

Still want a bridge?

Of course, the Liar-in-Chief will no doubt say that there's nothing at all harmful there...

SirChenjin Mon 10-Feb-20 19:17:59

You can hear Professor Wanda Lewis here. Enthusiastic isn’t quite the word I’d use but perhaps that’s because she understands what’s involved from a cost and technical pov although I guess she’s probably thinking that if Boris is mad enough to
want to spend billions on a new bridge she might as well sound positive - there could be a job in it for her! m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DAh_9RFjBg

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 19:24:56

The Severn Bridge today. Closed until further notice because a lorry blew over.

SirChenjin Mon 10-Feb-20 19:26:50

shock

It must be catching - DH is stuck at work as the Queensferry Crossing (aka the new Forth Road Bridge) is closed. He now faces a long circuitous route home and that bridge is what , 2 miles long?

MaizieD Mon 10-Feb-20 20:08:14

They should have built a tunnel! It was suggested, wasn't it, SirChenjin?

SirChenjin Mon 10-Feb-20 20:32:23

It was Maizie!

Iam64 Mon 10-Feb-20 20:54:21

I was shouting at the radio - again -when I heard this proposal. I live under 50miles from Liverpool, it used to take just over an hour but now takes two hours to drive there. I can't go by train unless I either change at Wigan, or go into Manchester where I can get a direct train to Liverpool. Getting into Manchester at rush hour (7 - 10 am) is fraught with difficulty. Not enough carriages, often full long before it arrives in our town.
We may get HS thing to cut 10 minutes of the 3 hour train journey to London - but we can't travel around the north west or north east without paying a small fortune for services that are unreliable.
And Mr Johnson is considering a Boris Bridge. By all means build the bliddy bridge but sort out transport close to home first

J52 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:03:25

When the A75 is blocked, often by an accident involving a lorry, the only diversions are very long through rural roads.
Not only is the A75 not fit for current commercial traffic, as it goes through villages, but increased traffic to Portpatrick would necessitate upgrading the road to a dual carriageway.

suziewoozie Mon 10-Feb-20 21:14:33

varian the actual length of the bridge is only one issue and in the case of Boris’ mad idea, the least relevant.

varian Tue 11-Feb-20 07:50:45

I agree. The whole idea is utter nonsense,

travelsafar Tue 11-Feb-20 08:03:48

Boris just wants to be remembered for Brexit, Bridges and Bloody Railways!!!!! Surely people would be behind him 100% and he would be better remembered for sorting out the care system, NHS, Universal Credits and a solution to how to deal long term with terrorists in our prisons. All this money being proposed to improve transport, why? Is it so people can move from London to nicer parts of the country and still travel back to London to work and earn high salaries while putting up house prices in the North and Midlands?? Our little Garden City Town is being destroyed by having lots of 1 and 2 bedroom flats being built in all sorts of places in our town centre. They are costing 1/4 of a million pouunds. Local people can not buy them, too expensive but people from London can or those who work in the city and they have a 30min journey back into the city to work!!!!

Nezumi65 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:16:39

I’m sure it’s just a distraction so we’re talking about this, rather than the announcements being made about Brexit and business or people being illegally deported.

Either that or he is a complete megalomaniac with a soviet style obsession with monuments (Boris bridges, Boris bus’, Boris Island - I don’t know why he doesn’t just commission a sculpture of himself in Trafalgar Square

Nezumi65 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:16:59

*buses

growstuff Tue 11-Feb-20 08:20:34

Don't forget the Boris Bikes!

Nezumi65 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:56:11

Oh yes! Nothing that begins with a B is safe. We’ll have the Great British Boris Breakfast next.

Devorgilla Tue 11-Feb-20 09:30:00

Given the recent results in the Irish election, perhaps it would be prudent to wait to see the political fallout from that before considering building a bridge between the mainland and what could become a united Ireland, and therefore a foreign country. Patience is not one of JB's strong points I think.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 09:30:23

Severn Bridge is still Blocked

MaizieD Tue 11-Feb-20 19:40:21

The thoughts of a retired engineer:

Devorgilla Tue 11-Feb-20 21:06:18

How right your friend is MaizieD. I came across that stretch one Easter in a force 10 gale. Sunshine in the North in the 80s earlier in the week turned rapidly to heavy snow storms on way back to Scotland. Even hardened lorry drivers were throwing up. Doing the journey in a sardine can, commonly known as a car, exposed to the elements, definitely not my idea of fun. Shelve it Boris. It's not a runner.

growstuff Tue 11-Feb-20 21:25:00

A zip wire would be cheaper.

Fennel Wed 12-Feb-20 11:47:44

[grin} - another example of him trying to span different sides.
Though I don't think he really has the heart for that.
What if he'd fallen off? hmm

Alexa Wed 12-Feb-20 11:53:36

Not gloriously mad but just a superficially charming man who wants personal power more than he is capable of wielding.