Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cabinet reshuffle

(190 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 11:57:52

Sajid Javid has just resigned as Chancellor!

Dinahmo Sun 16-Feb-20 17:20:39

Ug We have a fair idea of how Jonson will do - we have his time as Mayor of London for example. Not exactly a brilliant period - lots of vanity projects and lots of money wasted.

growstuff Sun 16-Feb-20 17:10:52

Two of the Number 10 advisory team were sacked. Presumably one of the jobs has gone to this man, who replied to Cummings' call for "misfits". Words fail me.

It would appear that No 10 is being sued for wrongful dismissal over Sonia Khan's sacking. Johnson and Cummings will have to give evidence under oath, unless they give her a payout. Hopefully, the two sacked advisors will sue too, although I wouldn't put it past the new AG to rule it out somehow or other - it will be interesting what she has to say about her own skeletons too!

Oh what a tangled web we weave!

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 16:15:30

Well not quite the cabinet, but this new top advisor to No10 (Andrew Sabisky ) looks like he’s going to turn out to be a real asset. ?

growstuff Sun 16-Feb-20 02:58:44

It reminded me of the chanting scenes from "Lord of the Flies". It was really creepy.

Labaik Sun 16-Feb-20 00:01:15

I've just watched the video of them chanting and laughing. It reminded me of playschool [but a very sinister one....].

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 22:41:33

GagaJo Johnson is a willing passenger.

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 22:40:19

No bitterness at all Urmstongran. Just a tad irritated about the naivety and/or wilful blindness. You're not stupid, so you must be able to see what's going on, unless you choose not to see. On the other hand, maybe you're one of the people commentators call the "culturally left behind* and are relishing your moment of glory.

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 21:42:52

UG, you're deluded. It isn't BORIS doing it, it's Cummings.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Feb-20 21:34:20

Such bitterness on here. None of us know (yet) how well (or not) Boris will do. Time alone will tell. In the meantime, why not stop sharpening the knives?

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 21:09:28

They won't see through him until they are personally affected and I'm sure Johnson knows more about the theory of "bread and circuses" than I do.

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 21:08:14

Sadly varian there are those who actively support the rhetoric and the direction of travel. We're in the midst of a cultural war. Hence the attacks on the "experts" and rational arguments, etc.

Johnson's persona and Cummings' appearance are quite deliberately manufactured. For example, Cummings' strange chanting of some character from a children's cartoon when asked serious questions. The bizarre bouncing buses and 50,000 nurses routine was part of that.

There's a culture of fear in the civil service and amongst SPADs and this is all part of that. Any parent knows that it's impossible to get any sense from most toddlers, so if Johnson behaves like a toddler nobody can expect any sense from him. Nevertheless, he will just do as he and his guru want. The man is ruthless - make no mistake about that - and there are those, who have felt left behind in a mature world, who support him.

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 20:31:48

Just how glaringly obvious has the gap between rhetoric and reality have to be before the BJ fans start to see through him?

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 19:59:16

varian You didn't actually think a magic money had been found, did you? Someone will pay for the vanity projects, frolicking unicorns and the sweeties to buy the borrowed votes. I wonder who will be paying - it's a difficult one! hmm

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 19:56:36

suziewoozie It wouldn't surprise me if Politburo or cult meetings start with that sort of chanting.

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 19:55:18

So glad you think it's a laughing matter MerylStreep. What you and your ilk don't seem to accept is that some of us have actually grown up. Enjoy you naivety!

MerylStreep Sat 15-Feb-20 19:26:15

Please let the Boris Bashers have their fun. Be kind, it can't be much fun living with all this angst, anger, bitterness when everything they predicted 3 + years ago hasn't come to pass.
Show some compassion and laugh ? at all these new predictions in the privacy of your own home.

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 18:52:10

Can you imagine them chanting ‘50000 new nurses 19000 of whom are actually retained, 20000 police officers to replace the ones we cut 40 new hospitals of which most are just a gleam in a well paid consultants eye’ ? Nah - me neither. As for the buses they could have all sung ‘the wheels on the bus are falling off, falling off, falling off ....’

Daisymae Sat 15-Feb-20 18:31:58

There's not 50000 new nurses never was, it's just a sound bite. 20000 are ones that they think will not leave.......

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:26:31

Sad little grinning parts, all of them.

Bring on Spitting Image.

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 18:18:11

Really varian? I thought he just looked like the rest of the grinning parts

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:14:57

I did think that Rashi (who is an intelligent man) looked particularly embarassed at having to chant the playschool responses to BJ's questions to his vegetables cabinet.

Greta Sat 15-Feb-20 18:14:32

Well, varian, "entering a new golden age" and "austerity is over" are just two more soundbites. We need something to replace "Get Brexit Done".

vegansrock Sat 15-Feb-20 18:03:44

I think our new chancellor is a CHINO - chancellor in name only- it’s Dom that is our new chancellor.

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:00:23

If we suddenly have loadsamoney because of brexit, why has our new Chancellor told all government departments to cut their budgets by 5%?

Haven't we been told we are entering a new golden age and austerity is over?

vegansrock Sat 15-Feb-20 15:38:51

Rather telling that the greatest support for the billions being spent on HS2 is from London as it will boost London’s economy much more than anywhere north of Birmingham. Still there will be more money for rail replacement busses.