Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sensible Discussion on Labour Leadership hopefuls MK 2

(518 Posts)
POGS Fri 14-Feb-20 15:25:45

Bump

Grandad1943 Wed 11-Mar-20 20:22:14

Well, I have just come in from a much better day than expected at work to find my name being mentioned all up and down this thread today alongside a couple of PMs.

So, if I can just address just a couple of those posts I am sure I shall be forgiven for not getting around to them all.

MaizieD you are quite correct in your post @16:37 today, once past the nomination stage the actual ballot is on the basis of one member or affiliate member one vote. There is no block vote whatsoever.

For those that have made posts in regard to the delay in recent new members not receiving ballot papers, I would be "as much in the dark" as everyone else as to the cause. The poll is being overseen by the Electoral Reform Society and they stated at the weekend, I believe, that they were satisfied with the progress of the Ballot.

However, if I were a betting man (which I am not) I put my money on the checking that those joining the Labour Party in the last few months cannot receive two ballot papers if they are already registered as affiliate members. I believe that the Labour Constituency Parties have been partially involved in that process in this election, and being lay member overseen they may not be that quick in responding to inquiries.

POGS, in regard to your post @15:35 today, I have not stated in either of the threads on this topic who I have personally polled for in this leadership ballot. However, I have stated that I feel it is of more importance, whoever may be elected, who that new leader appoints to the senior positions in the shadow cabinet, for that will demonstrate the direction of travel he or she intends to take the Parliamentary party.

I have also stated that many on the left within the affiliate activist membership may have been induced not to poll for Rebbeca Long-Bailey due to the very hard line she intends to take with any decenters to her leadership or voted on party policies. The foregoing would obviously bring a huge clash with the right wing of the Parliamentary Party, and in that, many affiliate members I feel wish to give unity in the party at least a chance under a fresh leader. However, I believe that may well be doomed to failure whoever is elected.

In regard to your enquiry POGS as to how trade union affiliate members received their ballot forms, Unite Union members received theirs within seventy-two hours of the poll opening by electronic transfer using the Unite IT system. I would assume that all other affiliate unions used similar systems.

It would seem from what I read in this thread that the Labour party are using only postal voting for their direct members?

Perhaps the above is one more reason why the Broader Labour Movement and the Parliamentary Labour Party should once again after so many years be brought back together as one entity.

Now, as stated, after a long but far better day in regards to the business than any of us expected first thing this morning I am going to now settle back with a very large Contreau and brandy. ?

MaizieD Wed 11-Mar-20 16:37:42

As far as I know, Galaxy, yes, only reported posts are deleted.

POGS I am assuming there is a block vote

I asked Grandad about this very much earlier on this thread (or the previous one). He told me that there is no block vote. It's one member, one vote.

Which is why I have repeatedly said that the union members may well vote for a completely different candidate. Not the one their union endorses.

Galaxy Wed 11-Mar-20 16:22:30

Is GN the same as MN they only delete posts that are reported?

Galaxy Wed 11-Mar-20 16:19:58

Ok. I just thought we were all grown ups obviously not. Hadnt realised that was the game we were playing. Let's crack on then grin

varian Wed 11-Mar-20 16:18:38

Before Grandad makes silly quips about "taking all the LibDem supporters to the polls in a minibus", perhaps he should ask why the LibDems, who he tries to write off, got by far the biggest increase in vote share of any party at the last election, gaining an extra 4.2% of the total vote whilst the Labour Party, led by Mr Corbyn, dropped their vote share by 7.8%

Party 2017 2019 Change in vote share
Conservative Party 42.4% 43.6% +1.2
Labour Party 40.0% 32.2% −7.8
Liberal Democrats 7.4% 11.6% +4.2
Scottish National Party 3.0% 3.9% +0.9
Green Party 1.6% 2.7% +1.1
Brexit Party New 2.0% +2.0
Other(s) 5.6% 4.1% -1.5

janipat Wed 11-Mar-20 16:15:09

growstuff, that seems so OTT to delete your post. What on earth was offensive about it? I thought it well thought out and politely expressed.

growstuff Wed 11-Mar-20 16:10:28

Maybe Jennie Formby is a GN poster.

growstuff Wed 11-Mar-20 16:09:58

I'm not joking.

Galaxy Wed 11-Mar-20 16:08:14

Are you joking. There was nothing wrong with that post.

growstuff Wed 11-Mar-20 16:07:32

I still think views such as the ones you have expressed - and having a go at me - are foolish. Is that better GNHQ? grin

growstuff Wed 11-Mar-20 16:05:52

Last time I spend ages thinking about a post. :-(

POGS Wed 11-Mar-20 15:35:30

janipat. Interesting question.

Grandad

You have stated you are not a Labour Party Member.

I believe you have said you have already voted for Long Bailey presumably through your Union Membership, is that correct?

If so how did you vote, does Union Membership provide a voting process that does not require a ballot paper through the post, do Union Members vote through a Union block vote, how does it work?

I am assuming there is a block vote hence the importance for the Leadership Contestants to aquire backing from the Unions but I do not know so I am politely asking you as one ' in the know' so to speak.

growstuff Wed 11-Mar-20 15:28:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

janipat Wed 11-Mar-20 14:29:45

And yet I remember grandad saying some while ago it didn't matter that Corbyn came out in endorsement of Long Bailey (despite earlier saying he wouldn't endorse any of the three candidates) because most people had already voted. How can that be when there are still people who haven't yet received a ballot paper?

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 13:32:58

I rejoined so will be included with new members, not received
ballot paper but receive emails everyday

POGS Wed 11-Mar-20 13:16:36

Going back to Labour.

Referring back to my post re Lisa Nandy writing to the General Secretary Jenny Formby demanding to know why so many members are yet to receive ballot papers.

I see today ' Labour List' are calling it a ' scandal'.

Are there any GN posters who have not received their ballot paper or had their application for membership refused?

Galaxy Wed 11-Mar-20 12:09:35

I think the issue is slightly more complicated than leadership in the lib dems. The revoke strategy with regard to Brexit was disastrous, as a remainer there was no way I could vote for that.

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 10:42:59

janipat yes, it is disproportionate representation.
I have pointed out before how few seats the Lib Dems have in comparison to eg the SNP who had far fewer votes in total.

In fact, I was surprised at the result because I thought those who voted remain would have voted for a remain party although I do understand why they have lost popularity in recent years, probably, just like Labour, the issue of leadership was the prime reason.

janipat Wed 11-Mar-20 10:09:15

Grandad your post of 07.42 was not light relief, but in accordance with your many snipes at the LibDems. At the last election Labour had the support of just shy of 10.3 million votes and secured 202 seats. LibDems had just shy of 3.7million votes and secured 11 seats. You, to use your own phrase, seem to consider those 3.7 million voters as nothing more than dogsh*t on your shoes. You certainly enjoy dismissing them at every opportunity. I say this as someone who voted LibDem last time, but is not a member of the party.
Using the actions of the Tories to excuse a change in Labour seems rather strange whataboutery. You emulate an action you think is wrong?

Iam64 Wed 11-Mar-20 09:10:21

I'm struck by the level of irritation/anger in your recent posts Grandad. It's not looking like RLB will win the leadership is it. You seem to be saying that if she doesn't, the LP must split to remain pure and true to the momentum ideals.

Your comment that some MPs see the unions as "** on their shoes" shocked me. The country needs a strong opposition followed by a Labour government. It will be like 1997 all over, public services totally wrecked by years of tory misrule and an almost impossible job to rebuild. Yet, you're suggesting split the party so the Unions can go off with those they approve of. How is that going to lead to a left leaning government? Compromise is a dirty word in some circles.

Grandad1943 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:03:04

Galaxy, my above post was meant as a bit of light relief with all that is going on all around us at the minute.

We may well be asking some of our staff to take unscheduled holidays today due to other companies placing access restrictions on visitors to their sites.

The above I am not looking forward too.

Galaxy Wed 11-Mar-20 07:50:08

Got carried away theresmile. As I have mentioned I have sone concerns about what has gone on in the Lib Dems lately but that doesnt mitigate the problems that are going on in the Labour Party.

Galaxy Wed 11-Mar-20 07:47:16

I

MaizieD Wed 11-Mar-20 07:46:37

I don't think that post (7.42) is worthy of you, Grandad.

Grandad1943 Wed 11-Mar-20 07:42:28

growstuff, in regard to your post @21:58 yesterday, you state that the trade unions are a "minority pressure group". Would that then put them in the same grouping as the Liberal Democrats which did so well at the last election in which you supported them? ??

How is the election for their new leader going growstuff as we do not hear much about it, and being you are such staunch supporter I thought you would know. ?

I did hear that they had hired a minibus to get all the LibDem supporters to the polling booth whenever that election takes place that is. ?