Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone believe BJ has any intention of negotiating a Deal with EU?

(265 Posts)
jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 15:30:30

... or just making it so impossible that we will end up with No Deal at last minute- with him ringing hands saying 'oh we tried so hard, but the EU wouldn't play ball- so we had no choice...'

It was the ERG's aim from the start- and the will of Trump and Putin too.

jura2 Wed 04-Mar-20 11:35:21

Actually, we have now gone beyond the question put in the OP - and should be changed:

do you think BJ will be able, in any way, shape or form- to negotiate a deal, never mind with the EU, but with the USA?

Liz Truss says they are prepared to walk away from both - as if they were still 'holding all the cards' ...

and then?

growstuff Tue 03-Mar-20 20:34:23

Volkswagen, of which Audi is a part, has indicated that it has made contingency plans for prices rises. It's expecting disruptions to supply.

MerylStreep Tue 03-Mar-20 16:06:06

When my Son in law who works for Audi (cars) tells me it's time to start worrying, I will. As it stands he's not a tad concerned.

growstuff Tue 03-Mar-20 16:02:40

I think common sense already has prevailed. All this bluster is just to cover up and keep people happy and believing that he'll deliver what they want. I suspect the idea is to cause as much chaos as possible, then pick up what ever pieces are left without people noticing what's actually going on and what the aim has been all along.

Urmstongran Tue 03-Mar-20 15:49:07

I too think there will be trade deals done. It would be devastating for both sides if not. Common sense will prevail at the 11th hour....

growstuff Tue 03-Mar-20 15:42:17

I am coming round to the thinking that there will be some kind of trade deal - it would be absolute madness not to have one. I think (and I admit I could be wrong) that this is all smoke and mirrors to cover Johnson's and the Conservatives' backs because I don't think it's going to be very popular.

POGS Tue 03-Mar-20 15:21:53

patcaf Fri 28-Feb-20 15:45:32

'EU never suggested a Canada or Norway deal. Only the UK suggested that.'
----
jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:06:07

'indeed patcaf. Gove made ridiculous statements saying that proximity makes no difference- but of course it does.'
----

That is not true.

Donald Tusk was not only widely reported in the papers but we heard him on T. V stations clearly say :-

“From the very beginning, the EU offer has not just been a Canada deal, but a 'Canada plus plus plus' deal. Much further-reaching on trade, on internal security and on foreign policy cooperation. This is a true measure of respect. And this offer remains in place,” said Tusk in a prepared statement.

To be fair it revolved around the customs issue but none the less the EU had mentioned Canada +++.

I do not see the argument as to why the CETA arrangement was passed by the EU but it is not acceptable for the UK as they are both ' third countries' alongside Japan etc.

jura2 Tue 03-Mar-20 14:19:13

Liz Truss today stated that they are prepared to walk away from both Deals, with the EU and with the USA -unless they get exactly what they want sad

varian Mon 02-Mar-20 18:27:35

British economy 'to grow 0.16% at best under US trade deal'

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/02/uk-says-it-will-not-lower-standards-to-strike-trade-deal-with-trump

Boris Johnson’s agreement estimated to cost 6.7% of expected GDP rise over 15 years

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/17/uk-lost-gdp-growth-brexit-deal-passed-official-estimates

Please GN leaver fanatics, can you explain the point of injuring our country's economy to this extent?

jura2 Mon 02-Mar-20 17:51:33

Sterling close to its lowest ever - the world knows ...

growstuff Fri 28-Feb-20 20:35:41

One of the biggest issues with open borders is the Ireland conundrum. Farmers along the border are going to be badly hit if there are border checks, which there will have to be if we don't have the same standards.

Johnson's lying and flippant attitude towards Ireland is really worrying.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 19:46:44

Exactly, Armaggedon for UK farmers- of course it will hurt some sections of the French and other EU countries' markets- but they will support each other and form an even stronger, united market, able to get serious Trade Deals. But they will opt for short term damage- but never ever want to be part of the Armaggedon bit- unfair competition due to poor standards and workers rights, unsafe and dangerous foods rubbish- so NO open borders.

varian Fri 28-Feb-20 19:23:16

Minette Batters, president of the NFU, has described a no-deal brexit as "Armaggedon" yet that is where we might be heading.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 19:18:39

The effect on British farming was very well expplained by farmers on BBC News just now. And there is no way the EU would agree to have knock on effects via open borders. They would be mad to- they won't. End of.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:06:07

indeed patcaf. Gove made ridiculous statements saying that proximity makes no difference- but of course it does. As said on another thread, the EU cannot accept, in any way, shape or form- that poor quality meat, agricultural produce, or any goods for that matter- produced cheaply with poor standards, bio safety and welfare or workers' rights could arrive from all over the world and then find its way into EU because of no borders or checks between UK (NI) and Ireland, or Gibraltar for that matter.

patcaf Fri 28-Feb-20 15:45:32

EU never suggested a Canada or Norway deal. Only the UK suggested that. The Canada deal is completely different as it is about trading of goods and no Canadian lorries come to the EU border. Uk has some 10,000 truck going through Dover each day and most of our 'export' to EU is services which Canada does not have. Johnson has no leverage and is hell bent on the Australia' deal which is in fact no deal. This would create a red tape nightmare and he still has to solve the NI problem which is not part of an FTA and he has already agreed to.

MaizieD Fri 28-Feb-20 14:42:13

Sadly the gallery is lapping it up

growstuff Fri 28-Feb-20 14:37:53

This is all about playing to the gallery. He wants to be seen as the hard man who stood up to those pesky EU blighters because that's what the gallery voted for.

I suspect Johnson has realised he can't deliver what he promised. He said so many things about Northern Ireland that it would be literally impossible to deliver. I have a horrible feeling that the fishing industry will be disappointed. They're not going to get what they want without crashing the whole British economy. Services are worth many times more to the economy and it would be suicide to let them go - the trade off is fishing.

My bet he'll carry on with this farce (all classic game theory) and then say he did the best he could. Does anybody remember how Yanis Varoufakis tried to outwit the EU with unrealistic demands? He lost and I suspect Johnson will too.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:26:48

There is NO way the EU can accept that there will be no border between them, the EU, and UK- if there is no alignment. Just can't be done.

That would mean that we could import any old c* from the USA, China, wherever- be they meat, poultry or fruit and veg- treated with hormones and GN crops- grown in poor husbandry and animal welfare- with slave labour paid very low wages - could then find its way on EU markets. This would totally undermine the EU standards, and bio safety- with much cheaper products (yes, slave labour and poor conditions and poor quality feeds are much cheaper) - dangerous, and totally unfair competition for EU farmers. Same for any other goods- as manufacturing with slave or very poorly paid labour, with poor workers' rights (no paid holiday or sickness/maternity, etc, benefits) and without adhering to EU standards- would also find its way onto EU markets. Dangerous- and totally unfair competition.

This is not 'intransigeance' - it makes absolute and total sense. No way either that they will allow their member, Ireland, to be put at risk, and the very hard fought GFA. NO WAY. Johnson has totally back tracked on this- so no-one can say it is the EU's fault, no way.

MaizieD Fri 28-Feb-20 13:36:02

Sales of Kool-Aid must be doing really well in the UK

growstuff Fri 28-Feb-20 13:09:43

Are you suggesting that Johnson and Gove aren't telling the truth I what they're telling the public? Oh my! Whatever next!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Feb-20 12:55:26

Unfortunately we are entering the realms of he said she said and depending on who you are listening to/reading there are bound to be differences and concerns.

I am hoping that the lack of Ministers being seen around or interviewed means that they are at their desks working on their respective briefs which should be beneficial for us all.

MaizieD Fri 28-Feb-20 12:45:33

I'm pretty sure that all the organisations Peter Foster cited aren't getting worked up on the basis of newspaper speculation. These are serious, high powered organisations which have responsibility to the members to voice their concerns. The primary one being that the government is ignoring them.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Feb-20 12:17:21

I will reserve my "critical faculties" until there is actual evidence of what the UK Governments negotiationing position is. I am sure I read/heard that they are going to be releasing details next week (Tues or Thurs cannot be sure which).

I cannot see the point of getting worked up on the basis of newspaper speculation.

anniezzz09 Fri 28-Feb-20 12:12:49

Good Friday Agreement!!! My gloom at the current political scenario is showing!