Gransnet forums

News & politics

Elderly?

(70 Posts)
Lucca Sat 07-Mar-20 18:45:07

Saw this somewhere and thought it amusing
“Good to see the government describing over 60s as elderly and vulnerable to corona virus ; when it comes to state pension we are young and fit enough to work until 66+”

Mic74 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:30:16

76 and certainly not elderly.

Classic Sat 14-Mar-20 00:20:33

Pixxie7 I understood that nurses were offered early retirement under a special scheme if they had worked in their unit for a certain amount of years. The nurses I know at the same age as me are retired.

Retired65 Fri 13-Mar-20 20:26:44

I am still working, through choice at 69. I also work in a school.

Maxblank Fri 13-Mar-20 15:08:33

Be greatful you're able to!

I had to give up work years ago due.to health, and mental health.

GrannyFirstLight Fri 13-Mar-20 14:37:16

Wheniwasyourage:

I am your age, recovering from recent cancer surgery and am only carer for disabled/PTSD veteran husband.
No way am I ready to "pop my clogs" yet....so we are taking sensible precautions.
But I agree with you 1000%. It's the well being of my kids and grandkids that concerns me most.

grannyrebel7 Fri 13-Mar-20 14:10:25

I'm a government worker and have been told I cannot come into work due to my age. I'm 64 so don't consider myself elderly and don't think I ever will! What a derogatory term it is just like OAP which I can't stand. The Americans call their older people seniors, which is so much more respectful. Anyway it's not time off as I have to work from home which will drive me stir crazy! Happy days!

Stansgran Fri 13-Mar-20 14:08:12

I too was quite shocked to find I'm Elderly . I'm 74. Quite put out really.

4allweknow Fri 13-Mar-20 13:57:42

Probably due to those who care for 'in care' children have to be paid a wage, cost of premises, clothing, outings and on and on. Or foster carers minimum £500 a week plus costs. Parents don't get a wage, they do it as it is their responsibility and choice.

Meemaw36 Fri 13-Mar-20 12:27:48

I am in the same situation as Washerwoman. I also work part time periodically in NHS. Many of my contempory colleagues continue to struggle on in NHS because they had time out for children and need the state pension to supplement their small work pensions. Several are already being "managed" for taking what is considered excessive sick leave, (acceptable levels are same for 18 year olds as 66 year olds), and will trigger disciplinary measures if any more time is taken. I think this applies to other areas of work too. No mention of these (often draconian) sickness policies being relaxed or suspended which may affect workers decisions to self isolate.

RomyP Fri 13-Mar-20 10:58:20

I'm 63, I'm not that long middle-aged, I'll be elderly once I get to 75, am hoping I do get to be elderly! Mind you, my knees are considerably older than the rest of me. grin

Disneyfan Fri 13-Mar-20 10:25:50

Also, its us retirees that the nhs will be recalling when they need extra staff.

DanniRae Fri 13-Mar-20 08:19:05

I presumed that when 'the elderly' were mentioned they meant those over 80 but my husband said "NO" we are the elderly - He is 75 and I am 71.
So I googled it and to my horror it is defined as being over 65!!
I totally agree with the poster who said if it was the young who were more vulnerable we would be more worried.

JackieBee1 Fri 13-Mar-20 06:58:57

Nanak54 - me too, but we won't get our pension until Nov sad

varian Tue 10-Mar-20 17:40:20

You are so right westendgirl it is not just health that matters - it is attitude.

westendgirl Mon 09-Mar-20 12:44:57

.I don't call myself elderly. I was born in 1937, but age is just a number to me~Thankfully. I am able to get out , dog walking , theatres ,travelling,shopping but have to say I have met others who were younger but much older in attitude. I did enjoy being in our local panto , line learning is good and rehearsals great fun . I think if you can live life to the full, look for the blessings life has to offer and give thanks .

nanaK54 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:25:37

I am October 1954 and will receive my state pension on my 66th birthday

growstuff Mon 09-Mar-20 11:57:54

I think you will get it earlier. This is the timetable currently on the government's website.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310231/spa-timetable.pdf

rafichagran Mon 09-Mar-20 07:41:25

Growstuff I did my pension forecast online. I put in my DOB and that is what come up. If that is incorrect so much the better if I get it earlier.

NannanTo4 Mon 09-Mar-20 01:07:29

Remember to please SIGN AND SHARE the CEDAW LINK

Let's end #discrimination against ALL WOMEN now!
It is so important to have CEDAW incorporated into UK Domestic Law. We need to Act now!

www.change.org/p/mps-uk-government-to-integrate-all-rights-in-un-cedaw-convention-into-domestic-law?recruiter=368000012&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_for_starters_page&recruited_by_id=f8be5200-4bbe-11e5-9cbc-f75a37687d1a&fbclid=IwAR1fEC8Xy4OVP4gs4BbKiTDwuHoAlMS8L47h1q7Ztr6Nhd6pYGeUfItBxiM

MissAdventure Sun 08-Mar-20 23:50:06

Well, I genuinely hadn't considered myself part of the 'at risk' group..

growstuff Sun 08-Mar-20 23:45:29

rafichagran How did you work that one out? The state pension only reaches 66 and 6 months for people born on or after 6 September 1960, which you weren't, if you're 62.

janzicb1 Sun 08-Mar-20 22:56:02

I think elderly should start in the eighties. Like myself,many 75 year olds are still very active and involved in a lot of activities and travel abroad. In the eighties surely but slowly ones energy is lessened. I don’t object to senior because after reading five wonderful people to adulthood I reckon I can consider myself as someone with experience of life but elderly I’d prefer to be applied to me in my next decade!!

4allweknow Sun 08-Mar-20 22:43:01

Well that knocks out most in the House of Lords and quite a few in Government. We will be saving a fair bit in their attendance allowances!

Wheniwasyourage Sun 08-Mar-20 21:25:35

I'm 68 but not elderly, and the wrinkled face in the mirror is someone else's which appears for no reason if I put my lenses in.

Actually, I'm very glad that the virus is more likely to affect me adversely than my DCG. If it was more dangerous for children I think most of us would be a lot more worried.

Duvetdiva Sun 08-Mar-20 20:54:54

Moggycuddler You may not think elderly is 75+ when you reach 74!.