Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nadine Dorries tested positive for Corona virus

(15 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Tue 10-Mar-20 22:41:03

Steven Swinford
(@Steven_Swinford)

EXCLUSIVE Nadine Dorries, a health minister, has become first MP to be diagnosed with coronavirus She has been in Westminster for past week, met hundreds of people, and attended a No 10 reception hosted by Boris Johnson on Thursday

Hetty58 Tue 10-Mar-20 22:43:10

Maybe he'll focus and take the threat seriously now!

tickingbird Tue 10-Mar-20 22:58:45

Who’s going to run the country if the HofC are all sick. We’ll just have to hope DC isn’t infected!!

harrigran Tue 10-Mar-20 22:59:18

I do hope this is a wake up call and the government put measures in place. As a nurse I would have expected her to be clued up and ultra careful.

tickingbird Tue 10-Mar-20 23:05:41

On a more serious note, if she has passed it on to BJ, he was meeting the Queen and other royals a couple of days ago and it’s scary to think she may have been exposed to it. I think it’s time our government took this issue far more seriously.

pinkquartz Tue 10-Mar-20 23:05:52

I also hope it might be a wake up call but think it might just give idiot Johnson an excuse to close parliament.

I have just read how 111 gave the wrong advice out on Monday...telling people returning from Italy to NOT self isolate!
OMG

Eloethan Tue 10-Mar-20 23:20:05

As with many issues that have an impact on the economy, we seem to be getting mixed messages.

We are encouraged not to buy stuff we don't need in order to stop wasting resources and damaging the planet and in order to live within our means. But when people stop buying stuff there are dire predictions and warnings because of the effect on jobs and businesses - and of course the stock market. No wonder people get confused as to what they should do.

Now, it appears that the economy and profits take precedence over averting a major epidemic. Whilst I think the term "killer virus" is unhelpful, it is a fact that it poses a great threat to older people and people who already have health issues - and yet sizeable indoor events, where hundreds of people are will be in close proximity to one another, therefore posing more risk of transmission - are going ahead as normal.

I think the government needs to make up its mind as to whether this is a serious communicable disease that requires serious measures or one that should receive a "light touch" approach because it primarily affects older people and people who are already unhealthy.

We are a relatively small island surrounded by sea, which perhaps is why we have not been as badly affected as many parts of Europe. However, if what I consider to be a rather laissez-faire approach continues, this could change. I do not have much confidence in this government's handling of the situation so far.

Joelsnan Tue 10-Mar-20 23:27:27

Eloethan
^ I consider to be a rather laissez-faire approach continues, this could change. I do not have much confidence in this government's handling of the situation so far.^

Interesting as the actions of the Government are being directed by experts who are constantly re-evaluating the ongoing situation and providing evidence based advice and guidance to the Government.

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 00:13:23

If the Government's reaction to this does not inspire confidence and they are not taking this seriously, does that mean that the Chief Medical Officer, top virologists and medical experts are all wrong?

The government is taking advice from them and acting and advising accordingly.

What should we do?

growstuff Wed 11-Mar-20 01:23:35

The medical experts, etc are giving the government advice on the nature of the virus, but those experts are not responsible for acting accordingly and making decisions for stopping/slowing down the spread. The government is. Listening to Matt Hancock earlier, I'm not persuade that the government has a clue about decision-making.

Fiachna50 Wed 11-Mar-20 02:14:14

Eloethan, totally agree. They've known this was coming. Yet people still flying all over the place. I also think the reason behind all the panic buying is that people don't really trust them to organise things, so, if they have to self- isolate, they will go and buy their own supplies rather than rely on anyone else. You really have to wonder about the wisdom of Cheltenham going ahead, but I firmly believe the great god money is why these gatherings are still continuing. Are they really bothered about people becoming ill? Considering the state Italy is in, if I was them I don't think I would be quite so relaxed.

Eloethan Wed 11-Mar-20 16:33:31

Presumably governments choose their experts - and experts don't always agree.

I have heard various opinions as to the effectiveness of wearing face masks. One highly qualified Chinese doctor said there is a mask which gives something like 80% protection but even masks that did not meet this particular regulatory standard would provide some protection. I've heard other experts say they provide little protection.

It seems to me that if thousands of people are crowded together, particularly in an indoor space and for a relatively prolonged period of time, there is a much higher risk of at least some of them having the virus and passing it on to others who will, of course, in turn pass it on. Or are people suggesting that is not a reasonable assumption?

tickingbird Wed 11-Mar-20 16:35:36

To be honest whether they help or not we can’t get hold of them. The WHO have just declared it an official pandemic!

janipat Wed 11-Mar-20 16:43:26

Given the number of countries affected I'm surprised it's taken them this long!

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 18:43:30

It's reasonable, Eloethan
I was in a smallish meeting room with one very high window this afternoon with a group who seemed healthy, until the woman opposite me coughed!

But who knows and should we put our lives on hold? For how long? And no use unless every country does the same.