Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emily Maitless saying it like it is

(127 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:27:09

You don’t fight coronavirus with strength of character, as the cabinet would have you believe when talking about Johnson.

Coronavirus is not the great leveller as has been advertised, the poor (essential workers) suffer to a much greater degree than the wealthy and their exposure is far greater. They are much more likely to suffer underlying health issues.

The poor are much more likely to live in poor living conditions and suffer accordingly with the lock down.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:45:51

Oh it is an insult here on GN Sir as well you know. The right wing want to stay in their comfort zone

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 15:46:15

Poor people who have died. All utterly tragic. The ones wearing bin liners instead of protective clothing haunt me.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:50:31

Not a competition but the bus drivers with no protection at all that no one even thought about until this week. The care assistants ditto.

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 15:57:05

No not a competition at all. Each one trying to earn a living, probably told it would be OK.

Care Workers on Zero contracts is a national scandal .

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 16:02:11

Oh please. She is not making a speech off her own bat. She is a presenter and everything she says is santioned by her paymasters. The BBC is desperately trying to win back the common man in order to justify keeping the licence fee and in this instance is doing so by trying to make out this overpaid presenter and, by extension, the BBC, cares about the plight of the poor. It is perception management and nothing more.

Dinahmo Thu 09-Apr-20 16:06:56

Urm She's a journalist, not just a presenter and has had a varied career.

westendgirl Thu 09-Apr-20 16:14:26

Please dont dismiss her because you do not approve of what she is saying.
Emily Maitlis is an award winning journalist and documentary maker who presents Newsnight .
She is very well regarded in the profession., so please Urmston give her her due and read carefully what she said.

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 16:19:11

What is she Urm - a left luvvie or a journo in thrall to her BBC paymaster who doesn’t care for the plight of the poor in the slightest (much like the Tories)?

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 16:23:30

Stop trying to find identity politics where there are none?

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 16:24:58

Was that a rhetorical question Urm?

Mine wasn’t. Can you answer it?

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 16:30:18

Is saying somebody is a leftie political?

Eloethan Thu 09-Apr-20 16:46:39

Urmstongran Re your reference to supposed "left luvvies" and their lives of privilege, Maitlis's Wikipedia entry indicates whilst it is true she comes from a professional family it is also stated that "as of 2019 she is the only Newsnight presenter not to have attended a private school." So probably not as privileged as many of the people working in all areas of the arts and media these days. In any event, is it your contention that only "underprivileged" people have the right to point out inequality where it exists? No doubt they would then be labelled as having "chips on their shoulders".

Since you seem to be suggesting that it is the church's job to draw people's attention to unfairnesses and inequalities, I would suggest that many of their "religious leaders" are living very comfortably and, at least so far as the Church of England is concerned, have a very cosy relationship with the establishment.

The news from the US is also that the virus appears to be affecting poor and lower paid workers, who also have higher death rates. I suppose it's not that surprising because we already know that areas of deprivation have higher levels of illness and early death but it's pretty awful that the people who are at this horrible time doing the most useful - but often the worst paid - jobs are the ones who are likely to come out much worse during this pandemic.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 16:46:54

The BBC via Emily Maitliss. The BBC will have vetted all her pronouncements. She was probably reading from an autocue!

I don’t dispute she’s a journalist in her own right, well regarded by some.

But she is a lefty luvvie (there’s a lot of ‘em working at the BBC).

She can be both!

As I’ve said before: Those that have and will die of this virus are doing so through weakness. Not weakness of character though. It's weakness of immune systems of which we have little control over. You get what you are born with and there is next to nothing you can do about it. You can maximise what you have through diet and good living (which will help the better off) but all you can do is not reduce your immune system, not increase it.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 16:51:55

Since you seem to be suggesting that it is the church's job to draw people's attention to unfairnesses and inequalities

Better them than a NEWScaster.

A clue: the job title. Present the NEWS love.
Not your own opinion.
Wrong platform.

Oh wait - it’s the BBC we’re talking about!

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 16:52:18

I know she can be both - but you said she’s in thrall to her BBC paymasters who don’t care about the poor. I’m trying to understand where you get this information?

I’m also curious as to where you get this idea that its a weakness of the immune system that will carry you off when in fact there are a number of contributing factors.

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 16:53:13

Present the news love?

Nasty.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 17:00:21

She is extremely well paid to PRESENT the news. She gave either her OPINION or that of the left leaning BBC (as validated by the opinion of John Humphrys once he’d retired). Beyond her remit as ‘Newsnight’ is not an opinion platform.

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 17:10:07

If you’ve decided that the BBC is now left leaning then this well respected journalist with a level of influence over her output is representing their views on inequalities within the UK perfectly.

And no need to call a woman operating in a professional capacity ‘love’.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 17:18:47

I was annoyed.

However you are right I shouldn’t have used that term. I apologise.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 17:19:30

Would you like to present evidence to the contrary the ug? Or is it your opinion?

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 17:20:05

What are you annoyed about?

Baggs Thu 09-Apr-20 17:44:08

Things are always worse for some people than for others. What's new?

Also the language of, for example, strength, determination, finghting is frequently used with regard to illness. Think about all those "battles" against cancer.

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 17:47:54

Things are better for some people than others. What's new?

What's new , is that it is killing the worse off at a disproportionate rate.

Several people who have had cancer or have lost loved ones have said they dislike the term " fighting" in this context.

Baggs Thu 09-Apr-20 17:50:43

What's new , is that it is killing the worse off at a disproportionate rate.

I'm not sure that's new. Poorer people have worse health on average than better off people.

Baggs Thu 09-Apr-20 17:52:04

Which is why efforts to reduce poverty are so important.