Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris MISSED 5 COBRA meetings

(119 Posts)
paddyanne Sun 19-Apr-20 00:16:55

To "Deal with personal matters at home"

This man is a dangerous fool .Maybe somebody can tell me WHY he's PM whe he neither wants or accepts the responsibility of the job !

varian Mon 11-May-20 12:02:51

twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1258282699472715776?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

MaizieD Wed 22-Apr-20 09:23:34

He wasn't even 'overwhelmingly' voted in.

The tory majority in seats was gained with 45% of the votes. Which means that 55% of voters didn't want them & Johnson. Under any other voting system he wouldn't have done anything like as well.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Apr-20 09:04:06

Most people when voting in a PM assume that he is going to turn up. (Illness aside)

trisher Wed 22-Apr-20 08:59:14

So once you are in power you can do the job as badly as you like and that's OK is it?

Sparkling Wed 22-Apr-20 05:34:10

The question. Why is Boris Prime Minister, the answer is that he was overwhelmingly voted in. That's the system here.

Framilode Tue 21-Apr-20 10:56:58

Well said Hetty58.

trisher Tue 21-Apr-20 10:56:40

Boris's contract of employment terminated when he went to the country in December 2019. He was re-employed and proceeded to clear off. It was effectively a new job.

Jabberwok Tue 21-Apr-20 10:53:16

Boris has been in this job since July so did not spend the first weeks on holiday! Presumably it's a job without holiday entitlement, in which case of course he should not have taken any time off at all, not even one day a week. (Mrs May did without public comment!) To do so, of course, is unforgivable!
being ill, the same!

Grany Tue 21-Apr-20 10:30:10

Yes agree trisher And Hetty58 When crisis over It will be more of the same.

Glorybee Tue 21-Apr-20 10:24:04

Surely most reasonable people would be interested in what ‘the other side’ has to say, not necessarily to agree? How boring to have a thread on which everyone agrees! I read The Times, Telegraph (both paywalls) and the Guardian and delve into other bits and pieces if interested. The govt gets slagged on all of them, to varying degrees, and the below the line comments as you would expect, are a very mixed bag of views.

trisher Tue 21-Apr-20 10:02:22

Many of us knew that Johnson was a lazy, unreliable, duplicitous man who would make a lousy PM. Others posted how charismatic, forceful and dedicated he was and what a great PM he would make. He's spent most of his time in office on holiday, missed important meetings and is conspicuous by his absence. So who was right?
In any other job if you missed meetings and spent your first weeks on holidaay you would be sacked. Time he was.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 09:33:58

“Publicly they support us. Privately they vote against us”

My goodness how true that statement is.

Hypocrisy writ large

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 09:31:24

Errrmmm ... wrong site lemongrove. Do you want directions to the Daily Mail comments?

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 09:30:16

What exactly do you mean by a "political slant"?

Anything which involves the governance of 66 million people and distribution and utilisation of resources is political.

It must be obvious to anybody with more than half a brain cell that the majority of the printed media sources in the UK favours the current government and conveniently "omits" anything critical or attempts to divert attention from shortcomings.

lemongrove Tue 21-Apr-20 09:28:05

Glorybee.... sensible comments on either the government, the civil service ( or anything else) aren’t welcome on threads like these.?
On the other hand, anything negative, wild surmise, hysteria and hyperbole is lapped up.

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 09:26:18

"All orders were now issued through Squealer or one of the other pigs. Napoleon himself was not seen in public as often as once a fortnight."

George Orwell, Animal Farm

Glorybee Tue 21-Apr-20 09:19:50

I’ve not implied anywhere that the govt has got everything right. On balance I’m in support of the govts efforts to sort this out and am disappointed when it appears things could be done better. Anything that is printed in the press will have a political slant and some of it is quite misleading indeed so is always worth checking out sources if possible. For instance, in the Guardian there is a piece saying that Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet rebuts the Dept of Health’s rebuttal. I spent an interesting few minutes reading his Wiki page and he’s not the sort of person I’d be wanting batting for my side at all! If we are firmly on one side or another, I don’t think we are ever going to agree!

Hetty58 Tue 21-Apr-20 09:11:41

The government has failed the people of this country. I'd add that all those who voted Tory have failed their fellow citizens too. Do they regret it now - or even understand what they voted for?

I'm just a bit anti-thanking. My friend risks her life every day working for the NHS. Her thoughts on the clapping?

Yes, it's lovely that people are showing their appreciation. Recognition is good. The problem is there's glaring gross hypocrisy too.

Some people have voted (for decades) to pay less tax and run down the NHS public services and all our care and support systems. It's been a case of 'I'm all right Jack' and no concern for the unfortunate, sick and needy.

Suddenly, now, there's the real prospect that they may be sick and needy themselves. So, with panic and trepidation, they clap enthusiastically, like loons and suddenly 'We're all in it together'!

What we want, she says, are decent, safe working conditions, enough funding, more staff - long term. I fear, what we'll get (when the crisis is over) will be just a return to more of the same. Publicly, they support us - privately, they vote against us.

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 08:56:00

Glorybee The official DoH rebuttal has some glaring omissions and doesn't address some of the main issues. Try cross checking it for yourself.

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 08:54:36

COBR meetings aren't always minuted in detail, although a list of those attending will have been produced. My daughter and a number of close relatives are (un)retired civil servants and my extended family has a trophy cabinet of honours for being civil servants.

Yes, it does depend what people want to be true and some seem to have their blinkers and earplugs superglued in place.

Glorybee Tue 21-Apr-20 08:41:19

I would regard it as fact, inasmuch as anything else, as all actions, meetings etc will have been minuted (my husband is a retired civil servant) I suppose it all depends on what people ‘want’ to be true!

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 08:06:04

How do you know that the Department of Health has issued fact Glorybee? I've read it and it appears to me that some of it is extremely selective with the truth.

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 08:04:26

Most of us appear to be pulling together despite Johnson.

His recent illness didn't affect how he behaved in the past.

Please don't claim that we wanted him. I certainly didn't and the Conservatives didn't even win an absolute majority in the last general election. Even now there are Conservatives who don't want him.

I am entitled to my opinion as much as anybody else - paddyanne or you Sparkling. Personally, my opinion is that Johnson is the worst PM in living memory. He doesn't have leadership qualities, he's not interested in details, strategic planning or facts and he has a reputation for being lazy and arrogant (something I've never seen dispelled). He's filled his cabinet with sycophants who are woefully lacking in personal experience and talents and have been running around like headless chickens over the last couple of weeks.

That's not hatred. That's wanting to be governed by competent leaders, especially during a life-threatening crisis.

Sparkling Tue 21-Apr-20 07:47:08

Paddyanne, once again you write most off most the citizens if this country, which you don't appear to like, as idiots. Have you never questioned why everyone is out of step with you?
Boris was dangerously sick with the virus and at deaths door, perhaps, if there is someone you care for, you watch them battle for life, they will jump out of bed and resume their life as normal. It attacks the lungs and can take months to recover. He is PM because we wanted him, he is a man and we have human compassion as the NHS have, that he and everyone affected recover, that what we clap for. You obviously have all the answers perhaps you can arrange personal protection, they need help there. This is an unprecedented pandemic, most of us are pulling together.

Glorybee Tue 21-Apr-20 06:34:22

‘Meant’ to reply