Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new email scam asking for money

(7 Posts)
Dinahmo Fri 24-Apr-20 12:37:43

I've just received an email purporting to come from you.gov/DVLA telling me that I have 5 days in which to pay my outstanding car tax. This is a scam and I have reported it but I thought that I'd put it on this thread because the older we get the more worried we get.

If you receive an email that you're not sure about, even if it mentions a name that you know, just hover over the name and you will see where it has come from. So, if you don't recognise the origin, just delete the email, without opening it.

I'm aware that this topic is on another forum but I'm posting it on this one because it's the one that I look at more than most. Some of you may be the same.

Finally, if you want to report a scam that's to with tax, or anything official, just forward the email, without opening it to [email protected]

Witzend Fri 24-Apr-20 13:41:05

Thanks, OP.
The other day I had one purporting to come from amazon, saying there was a problem with my payment details, I needed to reply ASAP with ..... etc.
It looked pretty authentic, with the right graphics, but even if I hadn’t immediately thought, ‘Scam!’ there was the one telltale spelling mistake.
Why some people still think spelling doesn’t matter any more I can’t imagine.

moggie57 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:45:45

I just had one that said my parcel needed diverting? Em what parcel? Replied nice try a hole

Iam64 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:17:02

I had one saying that the direct debit for my t.v. licence had been rejected, so please click the link and resubmit my bank details. Deleted it.

Two days later I had a blackmail email, saying the had video evidence of me involved in various sexual acts. Pay up, or we will send it to all your contacts. More worryingly, it correctly identified my log in details. I deleted that, then deleted all my deleted /junk mail permanently.Then changed my passwords.
I suspect I'd been on some unsecured internet site when browsing to buy things, like dog food, cleaning products and shampoo. You know, really high risk products.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-Apr-20 15:39:20

I've had two offering me a tax rebate (oh yeah?) which I forwarded to [email protected] and both times I got a pleasant reply thanking me, which of course makes me happy to do the same again if necessary.

millymouge Fri 24-Apr-20 15:53:56

I had one come up on my mobile phone. My bill is paid by direct debit monthly, and it said that the provider had been unable to take the money from my account so would I resend all my bank details so that they could reregister it. I ignored it and when next in town went into their store and they confirmed it was a scam. The man said it was very good the way they had set it up and it would have been easy to think it was genuine. You do have to be on your guard.

Cindersdad Sun 26-Apr-20 07:18:00

Back in January I applied for an Indian Tourist through the official website. We got the Visas fine but get emails from the Indian Government telling us about the situation ther some of which ask for contributions!