Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can you clap on a Thursday and dismiss a doctor on Monday?

(24 Posts)
trisher Tue 05-May-20 20:07:00

Matt Hancock dismissed the question from Dr Rosena Allin-Khan telling her to 'watch her tone'. She was asking about the PPE and testing. Does this show what the real opinion of this government is about doctors and the NHS and is all the clapping for show?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIhgwQMHQPQ

BlueBelle Tue 05-May-20 20:27:55

Yes it is all false

Smileless2012 Tue 05-May-20 20:37:06

He didn't dismiss the question, he answered it. He said he didn't like her tone.

Whose clapping are you referring too when you ask "is all the clapping for show?" Are you referring to everyone in the UK who claps for the NHS and all key workers every Thursday at 8.00 pm or just members of the government who clap?

Grany Tue 05-May-20 20:47:40

Looks like that's how they really feel. Then government ministers clap for our NHS they need more than clapping or a badge. He was shown up then reacted by retaliation instead admitting he was wrong too slow on everything and no apologies

trisher Tue 05-May-20 21:00:58

Smileless2012 he said he didn't like her tone and then said "No". He didn't accept her comments. She is a front line worker, an A&E doctor.
I can't answer about the clapping for everyone. It is evident that Matt Hancock doesn't really support NHS workers. As for other people well if you take his side I really don't know. Only you know what is in your heart.

Doodledog Tue 05-May-20 21:18:33

Yes, I think that the government's show of 'support' for the NHS is false.

I think that the clapping is a diversionary tactic to make it appear that 'we are all in this together', when we are not. It is all but impossible, particularly at a time like this, not to admire people who work in the NHS (and the other essential workers) fighting this virus, so many people (although not the whole of the UK) clap to show support.

Government ministers are, IMO, using this show of support in a cynical attempt to appear that they also support the NHS, but if that were true, why did they clap when they pushed through a bill to limit nurses' payrises to 1%? Why didn't they order PPE when they knew that the virus was on its way, and people were pleading with them to do so? Why did they allow the NHS to be in so much debt that they can write off billions of pounds in order to appear magnanimous?

It is clear to me that they really don't support the NHS at all, but the virus has forced them to rely on it in order that they keep the death tolls down and don't lose the support of their voters, so they are putting on a show for the time being. Goodness knows where we would be now if we didn't have the nurses and doctors for whom the Tories showed so little respect not so long ago. We have the highest number of deaths in Europe as it is, which is a disgrace, given that we are an island.

If, over the past ten years, the NHS had been properly funded, and if Austerity hadn't meant that a lot of its resources hadn't been channeled into dealing with preventable illnesses, then maybe the number of bereaved families would be lower.

Iam64 Wed 06-May-20 11:41:54

I join the clapping with my neighbours, no problem with this public show of support. I don't believe that in any way it distracts from the mess the government has and continues to make of managing its response to the pandemic.

Mat Hancock was dismissive and patronising to Rosina Ali Khan. Her "tone" was entirely polite, professional, calm and measured. He couldn't possibly object to her tone. He objected to the content of her question, not the way in which it was delivered. He was well and truly rattled, as he ought to be.
I almost feel sorry for him. He looks like he's being groomed as the scapegoat for his parties mistakes.

Grammaretto Wed 06-May-20 11:55:14

I see that most of the testing has been dealt out to private companies now.
Does that mean that all the money raised by Captain Tom is no longer safely with the NHS?

Clapping for the NHS and all our front line workers but as one of the NHS nurses said "please promise you will never vote tory again".

Luckygirl Wed 06-May-20 12:05:55

His comment about her tone was entirely unnecessary.

Any government would have found this pandemic a huge challenge - I think we all know that.

But it was their government that pared public services to the bone and more, and failed to value preventive strategies in NHS and social care. It was their government who was slow to act at the beginning of the pandemic. And it was their government who let pandemic planning slip to the bottom of their priority list prior to 2020.

They do have some serious questions to answer; and I sincerely hope that their role as leaders will come to an end at the next election.

lavenderzen Wed 06-May-20 12:20:24

Thank you for the link Trisher. What a patronising man he is. He is way out of his depth and has a huge ego. Listening to the rest of the news this morning regarding the "Professor of Lockdown" it does put much of the strategy/workings of the government into question.

Oldwoman70 Wed 06-May-20 12:28:36

Grammaretto The money raised by Captain Tom and others goes to NHS charities which supports NHS workers and patients - it is not used to fund the NHS.

flaxwoven Wed 06-May-20 12:46:14

Poor Matt Hancock doesn't seem able to cope and I think will be the scapegoat. He looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. There don't seem to be any ministers of experience and character left . Also thousands of people have been streaming into the country through Heathrow unchecked. Does this mean we doing herd immunity after all?

May7 Wed 06-May-20 16:04:06

Harriet Hartman quote “something creepy about a man telling a woman to watch her “tone” worse that he recommends that she adopts the tone of another man. I suggest Matt Hancock changes his Evening Standard

I concur

MayBee70 Thu 07-May-20 20:38:53

Has anyone watched tonight’s Ch 4 news highlighting the fact that the warehouses full of PPE etc had been allowed to go past their expiry date even though the government were assuring us that they were well prepared for a pandemic. Seems it has all been ran down since 2009. I’ll leave people to reach their own conclusion.

Grany Thu 07-May-20 21:25:57

Just when the coronavirus pandemic is proving that the worst thing possible for a nation’s health is a privatised, profit-driven health system, Matt Hancock and his gang are using it as an excuse for more privatisation!

Apparently he reckons this is a great chance to push through the changes because they aren’t being subjected to proper scrutiny.

In recent weeks, ministers have used special powers to bypass normal tendering and award a string of contracts to private companies and management consultants without open competition.
Doctors, campaign groups, academics and MPs raised the concerns about a “power grab” after it emerged on Monday that Serco was in pole position to win a deal to supply 15,000 call-handlers for the government’s tracking and tracing operation.
Deloitte, KPMG, Serco, Sodexo, Mitie, Boots and the US data mining group Palantir have secured taxpayer-funded commissions to manage Covid-19 drive-in testing centres, the purchasing of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the building of Nightingale hospitals.
Now, the Guardian has seen a letter from the Department of Health to NHS trusts instructing them to stop buying any of their own PPE and ventilators.
From Monday, procurement of a list of 16 items must be handled centrally. Many of the items on the list, such as PPE, are in high demand during the pandemic, while others including CT scanners, mobile X-ray machines and ultrasounds are high-value machines that are used more widely in hospitals.
Centralising purchasing is likely to hand more responsibility to Deloitte. As well as co-ordinating Covid-19 test centres and logistics at three new “lighthouse” laboratories created to process samples, the accounting and management consultancy giant secured a contract several weeks ago to advise central government on PPE purchases.
The point on PPE purchases is crucial: the government is making it more expensive to buy this vital equipment, at a time when it should be widely available to as many people as possible.

Just think how different this would be if Jeremy Corbyn had won the 2017 election (it has been alleged that he only lost because of a right-wing faction in his own party that sabotaged him): these items would be free.

More people are going to die as a result of these decisions. Your friends and family perhaps. Maybe even yourself.

I think it’s time Matt Hancock had a nickname. What should it be?

Murdering Matt? Hancock the Hangman?

Grany Thu 07-May-20 21:42:10

Outsourcing the coronavirus crisis to business has failed – and NHS staff know it Handing out contracts out to firms like Serco and G4S is now second nature to those in power. We need to rebuild state capacity
Cat Hobbs

From the Gardian

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/07/outsourcing-coronavirus-crisis-business-failed-nhs-staff

trisher Fri 08-May-20 10:04:39

And yet they all turn out to clap. It's unbelievable!

trisher Fri 08-May-20 10:06:29

Grany Matt the knife? On second thoughts scrap that, he's not sharp enough.

Grany Sat 09-May-20 06:45:14

Yes agree trisher Matt he is not sharp is he, more of, a tool you could say, though.

Blinko Sat 09-May-20 06:57:41

MH's response to Ms Allin Khan's question was patronising, high handed and sexist. Can you imagine such a response if she had been a man?

Lucca Sat 09-May-20 07:19:39

Don’t know why I hadn’t seen this before. My reaction I’m afraid is “patronising git “. What was wrong with her tone .? She spoke clearly, that’s all.

Nortsat Sat 09-May-20 08:04:49

I absolutely agree Blinko, patronising, high handed and sexist. The evidence indicates he is also extraordinarily incompetent.
I have thought of a nick-name for him but it’s too rude for this time in the morning...

Greta Sat 09-May-20 10:46:48

I agree, totally inappropriate comment from MH but it seems that if we dare criticize anything this government says or does we are being unpatriotic.

trisher Sat 09-May-20 12:21:55

Funny isn't it you would have thought that a question from an MP who has returned to working as a doctor in this crisis would be head line news, and yet few have seen it. Just proves that our MSM are not the disinterested reporters they should be.